A hypothetical Question? lets say Dallas end up with 5 or 6 wins at the end of the year

cowboyuptx

Reaction score
We are going to the playoffs, and we fear NOBODY!

We still dem Boys! We will win a couple of games before the Return of the Jedi on Nov. 22nd!

I'll tell you like Romo told Brady, see you in February!

Top 10 Pick? NO THANKS! I would rather pick 32nd!

You guys are crazy talking this quitter **** 5 games into the season...

fortdick

Reaction score
I am confused. If we end up with 5-6 wins, doesn't that mean the season has ended? How can they not sit if the season is over?

If we are 5-6 wins with 5 to play, no way.

Maybe I didn't understand the question. At what point do you decide to sit them?

cowboyuptx

Reaction score
this has nothing to do with tanking

tell me this not a possibility - we also lost to WINLESS TEAM SAINTS

so you take a chance on ruining maybe one of the best WR'S career it took J Jones sat out the whole year

or Romo's

just because you want wins this year

Before Romo comes back, the only team Dallas faces that currently has a winning record is the Giants, and both the Dallas offense and defense already handled them quite easily on the LOS... The Eagles at home? We could definitely win that one... The Seahawks at home? The Seahawks have the same record as the Cowboys, and they've been mostly healthy, they've just lost their mojo... @ Tampa, that's not so tough either...

I don't think we'll win all of those games, but I do think we'll win at least two... All of those games are winnable, even without Romo and Dez... This team has more backbone than you think...

And once Romo gets back, we'll probably be favored in every game we play, except the Green Bay game... We'll win at least 5 of our last 7 games... Minimum 9 wins, book it...

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Good grief people the Cowboys aren't tanking. The only way they'll shut down Romo is if they're 2-7 and the NFC East title is out of reach. Considering how the schedule softens up I highly, highly doubt we'll be riding a seven game losing streak when Tony returns.

If Cassel doesn't provide a spark and the Cowboys end up losing to the Giants after having a bye week to assess their situation 2-7 is a real possibility. If things are going to start changing for the better they have to start changing against the Giants or the Cowboys will be looking at a very long season. The Giants have won 3 games in a row and the Cowboys barely escaped with a win against them on opening day with Romo for the entire game and Dez for part of the game. The Cowboys have lost 3 key players since they first played the Giants including Dunbar who came up with the biggest play in that game.

Philly is starting to play a little better they just beat up on a Saints team the Cowboys lost to. As miserable as Philly played offensively vs the Cowboys they were still in that game despite Romo playing just over a half. The only bad team the Cowboys have on their schedule until Romo possibly returns is Tampa and even that game won't be a cakewalk if the Cowboys are riding a 6 game losing streak. When you have a bad QB situation it makes you vulnerable regardless how bad your opponent is. If the Cowboys don't beat the Giants this is very likely going to be a repeat of the 2010 season and even coming up with 6 wins will be a challenge.

bodi

Reaction score
If the Cowboys have no chance at the playoffs by the time Romo returns then it would be better to shut him down for the rest of the season because if he were to suffer another injury it could affect his 2016 season. It wouldn't make a lot of sense to risk his health and have him possibly sustain a serious injury that could jeopardize not only his 2016 season but his career. in 2010 he was shutdown because the Cowboys season was in toilet and they didn't want to risk him. If he's ready to return by the Miami game and the Cowboys are 2-7 they'll still be alive so you play him. As long as the Cowboys are still mathematically alive you go with Romo if he's healthy and assess his situation once the team is eliminated. If he's taking too many hits you might consider shutting him down at that point because a serious late season injury could affect or shelve his 2016 season.

You have to be smart with Romo he's 35 years old and has suffered injuries the past 2 seasons that have cost him games. The Cowboys aren't going anywhere without him so they have to be smart with him. We all want to see him play but it would be foolish to risk his health in games that have no bering on the Cowboys season. As for Dez if he's 100% healthy I would play him regardless if the Cowboys playoff chances are done you can't just completely bail on the season and start sitting all your best players you still have to put butts in the seats and build for next season. Regardless how a bad a season is you still want to try and finish on a positive note.

TY

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
A Top-15 draft pick is likely. If it's Top-10...look out!! The season was a success

RunDMC

Reaction score
If Cassel doesn't provide a spark and the Cowboys end up losing to the Giants after having a bye week to assess their situation 2-7 is a real possibility. If things are going to start changing for the better they have to start changing against the Giants or the Cowboys will be looking at a very long season. The Giants have won 3 games in a row and the Cowboys barely escaped with a win against them on opening day with Romo for the entire game and Dez for part of the game. The Cowboys have lost 3 key players since they first played the Giants including Dunbar who came up with the biggest play in that game.

Philly is starting to play a little better they just beat up on a Saints team the Cowboys lost to. As miserable as Philly played offensively vs the Cowboys they were still in that game despite Romo playing just over a half. The only bad team the Cowboys have on their schedule until Romo possibly returns is Tampa and even that game won't be a cakewalk if the Cowboys are riding a 6 game losing streak. When you have a bad QB situation it makes you vulnerable regardless how bad your opponent is. If the Cowboys don't beat the Giants this is very likely going to be a repeat of the 2010 season and even coming up with 6 wins will be a challenge.

I'm aware of the fact that the Giants will be a tough game to win as they always are even when the Cowboys are at full strength, but even if they lose that game they still have three games to play until Romo returns and all would still be winnable. All three teams currently have a losing record.

The Eagles beat the Saints at home. Good for them, but it's one game. They've looked pretty dreadful in their other games that they've played other than the Jets game. I don't think you can say they're turning it around after one game. We've seen Seattle doesn't look anywhere near what they have been the last 2-3 seasons. Their offensive line has been really bad and Wilson has been getting hit a lot and Lynch is currently nursing a hamstring injury. Jimmy Graham has yet to really break out for them.

The bottom line is it's far too early to tank. It's also far too early to say this would be a repeat of the 2010 season because even with a loss at New York they'd still only be at most two games back with still three division games left. Two of which would take place after Romo returns. Unless the Cowboys are mathematically eliminated it makes zero sense to sit Romo. In 2010 Romo injured his clavicle later in the season. It was Week 6 I believe as opposed to Week 2. That's a difference of a month and barring the Giants or Eagles going on some crazy run they will still be in it when Romo comes back.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
How about you sit the rest of the year?;)

17 likes on this says people want their yearly dose of Romo and dez !
Some think they still can go to SB.

JG wont sit anyone even if they are 2-12, ....... well maybe then.
But until we have 9 losses and are mathematically eliminated everyone will play.

I still think they will rush dez and tony back, they do it with all the players.

bodi

Reaction score
17 likes on this says people want their yearly dose of Romo and dez !
Some think they still can go to SB.

JG wont sit anyone even if they are 2-12, ....... well maybe then.
But until we have 9 losses and are mathematically eliminated everyone will play.

HOW VERY TRUE TO MANY KOOL AID DRINKERS ON HERE
I still think they will rush dez and tony back, they do it with all the players.

bodi

Reaction score
if romo and dez are kept out, yet deemed healthy. going with back up players who are obviously overmatched. keeping your best players out of the game...that's tanking.

and you said lets have a debate, pick it apart yet somebody saying its a bad idea and you are getting mad.

I AM NOY MAD

pugilist

Stick N Move
Reaction score
Good thread, i see no reason not to look towards the draft because this season is over, no matter how much sunshine some folks want to pump. Cassel is not a savior.

I really like Goff and this team desperately needs a future at QB

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
Sit them when? If they have 5-6 wins by the time Romo returns it means they went undefeated with Cassell and have the lead in the division. Then why sit Romo? And if they have 5-6 wins at the end of the season it means Romo came back and still wasn't able to do much.

I don't understand the question. I think a more clear question would be: If Dallas is 2-7 when Romo returns and there's no realistic shot to win the division (perhaps NY is 7-2) should we tank and try to get the #1 pick or play Romo and miss the playoffs at 8-8?

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
I am confused. If we end up with 5-6 wins, doesn't that mean the season has ended? How can they not sit if the season is over?

Maybe I didn't understand the question. At what point do you decide to sit them?

I'm with you. I don't understand the question.

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
No, they aren't going to sit because playing is their job. They're competitors. That means they compete even when the team is no longer in contention.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
lets say Dallas end up with 5 or 6 wins

I think Jerry has pretty much laid the ground work

http://www.***BANNED-URL***/sports/...-might-be-too-late-to-save-cowboys-season.ece

The 2-3 Cowboys could get Bryant back for their next game, Oct. 25 against the New York Giants. Romo won't return until at least Nov. 22 against the Miami Dolphins.

those are big ifs an buts

like Don Meredith once said, "If ifs and buts were candy and nuts, we'd all have a merry Christmas

myself I would sit them both out for the season let the really heal ESP DEZ

5 or 6 wins before Romo returns? I'd be dancing a gig because that would mean we're either 5-5 and 6-4 with a very good shot of winning the East.

I think we'll be 4-6 at that time and still don't think we should give up on winning the East. Now, if we're eliminated from the race at some point, by all means sit them instead of risking injury.

Proximo

Reaction score

Was thinking the same thing. He's asking if we should sit them in the event that we only win 5-6 games this year, but the games would already be played at that point? Or like you said, if we have 5-6 wins by the time Romo returns we'd actually be in damn good shape!

The whole thing is dumb and OP can barely string together more than a few words and still make sense.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I'm aware of the fact that the Giants will be a tough game to win as they always are even when the Cowboys are at full strength, but even if they lose that game they still have three games to play until Romo returns and all would still be winnable. All three teams currently have a losing record.

The Eagles beat the Saints at home. Good for them, but it's one game. They've looked pretty dreadful in their other games that they've played other than the Jets game. I don't think you can say they're turning it around after one game. We've seen Seattle doesn't look anywhere near what they have been the last 2-3 seasons. Their offensive line has been really bad and Wilson has been getting hit a lot and Lynch is currently nursing a hamstring injury. Jimmy Graham has yet to really break out for them.

The bottom line is it's far too early to tank. It's also far too early to say this would be a repeat of the 2010 season because even with a loss at New York they'd still only be at most two games back with still three division games left. Two of which would take place after Romo returns. Unless the Cowboys are mathematically eliminated it makes zero sense to sit Romo. In 2010 Romo injured his clavicle later in the season. It was Week 6 I believe as opposed to Week 2. That's a difference of a month and barring the Giants or Eagles going on some crazy run they will still be in it when Romo comes back.

When a team is riding a 3 game losing streak and has a bye week to assess their situation and make a QB change along with a few other changes and it doesn't improve their situation leading to a 4th straight loss it's going to be hard to rebound from that. The Cowboys confidence is dwindling with every loss and if Cassel can't provide a spark the Cowboys 2015 season is going to be in some serious trouble. Although Seattle hasn't been the team they've been the past 2 seasons they're still a good team that will provide a big hurdle for a struggling Cowboys team that's going to have a tough time beating anyone unless they get a running game and much better play from the QB position. Lynch should be back by the time the Seahawks face the Cowboys and that will certainly be a tough game to win especially if the Cowboys offense continues to be ineffective.

It's going to be very difficult to generate a lot of offense against Seattle's Legion of Doom if the Cowboys can't get a consistent running game going and Cassel or whoever the team has at QB can't make many plays. As for Philly didn't say they've turned the corner but they have played better the last 3 weeks. They've won 2 of their last 3 games and barely lost to a Washington team that's been better than expected. Any team the Cowboys face that has their starting QB is going to be difficult to beat with Romo out. Romo on the sidelines gives every team a great opportunity to beat the Cowboys because he makes the Cowboys go. Without him and a strong running game the Cowboys aren't close to the team they were last season. Even with the defensive players that are coming back there's still going to be issues defensively if the offense continues to be ineffective leaving the defense on the field.

It's still early but the Cowboys are digging themselves a hole and at some point that hole is going to be too deep for them to climb out of. Even when Romo returns it's not going to guarantee wins. He's going to have to work off some rust and if the running game is still not where it needs to be getting back on track won't be easy. The only thing the Cowboys have going for them right now is playing in a division where it may only take 9 wins to win it. However they have to start winning because if they lose to the Giants they'll have to win 7 or their last 10 games to have a realistic chance of making the playoffs.