A little regret on Taco cut?

johneric8

Reaction score
When we let Taco go and he signed with Miami, I went to phinshaven (forum) and congratulated them and told them they kind a player with tons of upside and I thought he was going to end up being very very good. I told them I blamed our coaching and they we're lucky to have him. So far, I was right...

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Where did Tank talk about "carry him anymore"? That's news to me.

That's a pretty big revelation and would deserve to be directly quoted.

From heavy.com website, direct quote from Lawrence:

"Taco always a brother, congratulations on him getting another opportunity with Miami,” he told reporters, per the Dallas Morning News. “But he still got to keep that same Hot Boyz mentality as he travels and goes on his journey. He ain’t here for us to hold his hand no more.”

From the Star-Telegram in September, direct quote:

"It’s all about our standard,” Lawrence said. “The standard of a Hot Boy is day and day out is to go out there and work your (bleeping) *** off and be the best. We expect that from him. If he get a chance to go out there and play and we are not seeing him attack the ball and run after each ball, we are going too bring it up for sure.

“We have brought it up to him before
. He knows what he has to do and understands the expectations of his game plan. It’s all up to him.”

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
In this instance I agree with the team, there's been plenty of times I haven't, such as letting Bailey go, but for the team to keep Taco I'd have to have seen way more performance on the field than he had....

What "worse performance" did he have? He was inactive? Again, these are all lame excuses with no actual support. You should just quit.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
From heavy.com website, direct quote from Lawrence:

"Taco always a brother, congratulations on him getting another opportunity with Miami,” he told reporters, per the Dallas Morning News. “But he still got to keep that same Hot Boyz mentality as he travels and goes on his journey. He ain’t here for us to hold his hand no more.”

From the Star-Telegram in September, direct quote:

"It’s all about our standard,” Lawrence said. “The standard of a Hot Boy is day and day out is to go out there and work your (bleeping) *** off and be the best. We expect that from him. If he get a chance to go out there and play and we are not seeing him attack the ball and run after each ball, we are going too bring it up for sure.

“We have brought it up to him before
. He knows what he has to do and understands the expectations of his game plan. It’s all up to him.”

Thanks for that, but it's different from what was quoted previously. But I do agree that it wasn't an endorsement.

Kaiser

Reaction score

Jon Machota also put this in his article on The Athletic -

Charlton wasn’t having a negative impact on the veterans in the locker room, but there had to be some concern about the effect he could have on young defensive linemen like Jackson, Dorance Armstrong and 2019 second-round pick Trysten Hill, who has also been inactive for the first two weeks.

1972COWBOY

Reaction score
Taco is a bit more motivated now as he is not a first round draft pick for the team he is presently playing for.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
1) I still can't believe 30 other teams offered nothing for Taco when the Cowboys were trying to trade him. Teams could have had him for a 7th round draft pick.

2) It could also be that Taco realized how bad he was viewed by the league when no team offered anything for a trade. Rejection can be a serious motivator.

3) I wish the Cowboys would have dumped Taco before final cuts so Jelks would have made the team. I think Jelks went to IR just to redshirt him. I doubt he was hurt enough for IR. I think Jelks will be better a better player than Taco come next year.

Teams offered nothing for him because it was clearly evident he was on thin ice with the Cowboys, teams knew it was a very high probability that he'd be cut. Same with Dez, as well as others....

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Taco was a LDE/SDE and he wasnt unseating DLAW.
The unfortunate thing is they couldn't trade him for value.

He is where he needs to be playing for a tanking team and getting snaps and growing up.
Quinn is a far better fit on our DL but Taco may be in this league 10 years. You can't teach size.

No ill will from me towards Taco who was juts a bit sensitive and needy. Rod wasnt about that and I get that at his age who wants to babysit.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
I thought the Taco release was because Gregory was coming back. Now that the bye is here if we don't hear about Gregory back on the practice field I am going to be more bothered by it. I am also surprised at Armstrong. I thought he had something. He can't get it done vs. NFL Tackles.
Hasn't Armstrong been out because of injury for as few weeks now..... last time I remember him on the field he was getting pressure and was in on a sack

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
Taco didn't want to be a backup but he wasn't good enough to start here. He's food enough to start in Miami.

Philmonroe

Reaction score
Thanks for that, but it's different from what was quoted previously. But I do agree that it wasn't an endorsement.
People always seem to twist things up to sound more towards their narrative than what was actually said. I agree it wasn't an endorsement but it also wasn't what was quoted either.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
Another game, another sack for MIA. Still think we cut bait too early because of a personality conflict with Rod. Need to lessen Rod’s influence on personnel.
Accept for .5 sack and 2 FF Taco is right there with Demarcus Lawrence and he has played in 3 less games.

Taco should not have been cut. He also can rush for the DT spot at 270 pounds. If it was a coaching personality issue, you never let that keep you from breaking the 3 year rule.

You keep him knowing that you probably will not be able to pay Quinn, will cut Crawford, and if you have a successful season, what DE are you going to find that can start like Charlton has now shown he can start in the NFL with draft pick in the high 20's?

But as Atlanta Cowboy said we have a Country Club and not a football team. Troy Aikman hated Jimmy but Jimmy did not trade or cut him. After Troy's 3rd year (3 years of Aikman injuries and growing pains), the fourth year was 1992. Nuff said.

Manster_Mash

Reaction score
The front office let a personality conflict dictate a roster decision, solely. The on-field PS performance warranted taco on this team, and on the active game day roster. Instead, they spitefully deactivated him and played lesser players, completely under-cutting his trade value. Then were forced to release him for nothing. They cut-off their own nose to spite their face, as my momma used to say.

Dre11

Reaction score
Another game, another sack for MIA. Still think we cut bait too early because of a personality conflict with Rod. Need to lessen Rod’s influence on personnel.

Pretty much the consensus here was he needed to go. Sometimes it bites you in the a**. Now one is hear he wasn't good at setting the edge and allowed a huge run. I didn't see the game , but heard it was a mixed game for him