A little regret on Taco cut?

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I was tough on him but he clearly is showing some talent now in Miami.

He may have been a headcase and had an issue with Marinelli, but sometimes, you cant be sooooo stubborn with guys like this.

It's not going to be a good look if Taco finds himself in another city. That's a direct reflection on how maybe it's time Marinelli needs to move on. I wouldn't get too excited yet with Taco. He could nosedive shortly.

But if he keeps this up, not a good look for Sir Rod.

This.

We had a player who could play. Management couldn't find a way to get that value out of him for us.

And it's not just Sir Rod. It's everyone he reports to as well. They failed to manage Rod so we could capitalize on Taco. Lett is implicated in this too.

If there was too much butting of heads for us to keep Taco, there was probably too much for Taco to be properly developed. I bet Taco is significantly better for Miami next year.

Another MartyB, but worse. At least we kept getting value out of Marty til the end of his rookie contract.

Taco reminds me of the TO situation. Instead of the coaches simply asserting authority against a player who questions their decisions, the player is shown the door. "Muh locker room cancer." Leaders who can't take criticism and disagreement within the ranks don't impress me much.

DCBlueStar

Reaction score
None. He wasn't happy here, thus he was not productive here. He was a pouter. I wanted him to turn out to be good, but it just didn't happen. He wanted a new environment, and he got it. Good for him. I'll never regret getting rid of him. I regret us taking him. I think I was pretty fair about him. Always tried to support him and often stated it wasn't his fault he was taken where he was taken. It is what it is.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
No room for him here.

I'm sure he could've gave us some solid production but with Gregory in front of him and now Quinn how the heck are you going to put him on the field?

Those 2 guys are just better then him.

I think Taco just wanted some of the pass rush rotation. It's not like Gregory was tearing it up for us. And it's not like he's here this year either.

I'm a big fan of giving downroster guys limited snaps where they can play at 110%. That 110% may be better than the starter's 100%, and even if not, it gives him some rest to play harder when he is back in.

We need interior pass rush too. Crawford being gone opens up a lot of those. Taco could have taken some of those.

Here it is. Gregory ain't here. We kept Crawford for 7mil who couldn't go this season. We cut Taco who now has 3 sacks, lots of tackles, and tons of snaps for Miami.

There's no way to slice this but mismanagement.

Vegas_Cowboy

Reaction score
The Dolphins are the worst team in the NFL, and their defense is on the the field most of the time. Taco getting some sacks for them was predictable. He still sucks.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
Naw, the rueage is totally pointless,he's done been long gone flushed, though it is kinda' sparking the cockles in that warm-n-fuzzy spot of one's Fandom,in seeing him preform on the draft level that he was drawn from,,,in fact ,I find it absolutely hilarious:lmao:

o_O:facepalm:o_O

DuncanIso

Reaction score
If they didn't want him, the smart thing to do would have been to showcase him a few games and then try to get a draft pick for him. This is a team that tolerated pacman jones, greg hardy, dez bryant.......how much worse could taco have been? Miami seems to be adapting fine.

What's up with the Dez hate?

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
Has anyone actually seen the sacks? His first against Dak wasn’t a sack. It was Dak getting pushed out of bounds when he should’ve thrown it away. He didn’t tackle him.

And he was at his very highest ceiling Tyrone Crawford. Didn’t have elite bend or quickness like DLaw and Quinn. He’s a guy that could set the edge in the run game.

It was a terrible draft evaluation more than the decision to get rid of him.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
The Dolphins are the worst team in the NFL, and their defense is on the the field most of the time. Taco getting some sacks for them was predictable. He still sucks.

Harder to get sacks when your team sucks.

Taco is producing for the Dolphins. In 4 games his numbers are comparable to our 100 million dollar man for the season. He's gotten more snaps in the last couple of games because he played 93% and 98% of the snaps. Lawrence hasn't broken 75% this year.

We *cut* him. There's no way to argue, based on production, that that was a good idea.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This.

We had a player who could play. Management couldn't find a way to get that value out of him for us.

And it's not just Sir Rod. It's everyone he reports to as well. They failed to manage Rod so we could capitalize on Taco. Lett is implicated in this too.

If there was too much butting of heads for us to keep Taco, there was probably too much for Taco to be properly developed. I bet Taco is significantly better for Miami next year.

Another MartyB, but worse. At least we kept getting value out of Marty til the end of his rookie contract.

Taco reminds me of the TO situation. Instead of the coaches simply asserting authority against a player who questions their decisions, the player is shown the door. "Muh locker room cancer." Leaders who can't take criticism and disagreement within the ranks don't impress me much.

This won't get the play and attention that it truly deserves. It's an inconvenient truth that many fans would rather not deal with.

:clap:

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Has anyone actually seen the sacks? His first against Dak wasn’t a sack. It was Dak getting pushed out of bounds when he should’ve thrown it away. He didn’t tackle him.

And he was at his very highest ceiling Tyrone Crawford. Didn’t have elite bend or quickness like DLaw and Quinn. He’s a guy that could set the edge in the run game.

It was a terrible draft evaluation more than the decision to get rid of him.

It wasn't 'draft evaluation', it was not sticking with the process and letting coaches (Rod Marinelli and Jason Garrett) overrule the scouts who had put in the work. The same thing that got them Trysten Hill this year. They screwed themselves.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Harder to get sacks when your team sucks.

Taco is producing for the Dolphins. In 4 games his numbers are comparable to our 100 million dollar man for the season. He's gotten more snaps in the last couple of games because he played 93% and 98% of the snaps. Lawrence hasn't broken 75% this year.

We *cut* him. There's no way to argue, based on production, that that was a good idea.

Follow it up with the fact that they kept Crawford. An absolutely terrible decision that nobody wants to talk about because they can't defend it. So they choose instead to ignore it. This team cut. 2017 1st round draft pick to keep a player at $10 million that they knew was damaged goods.

All because of Rod Marinelli. And he should hang for it. Likely when he 'fake retires' after this season.

John813

Reaction score
Taco could only produce at LDE. Tank emerged as a top 4-3 LDE right after we drafted Taco.
Taco had an attitude problem here.
Y'all know Jerry isn't one to simply toss away highly drafted guys.

It is what it is. Maybe if Tank never emerged in 2017 Taco would be starting here at LDE and playing good football. Who knows.

Only thing that stinks is that they couldn't even get a conditional pick for Taco.

Clarkson

Wonderboyromo
Reaction score
lol at all the people here saying "i always liked Taco, i would've kept him, they cut him too soon."
this was not the narrative of anyone here when he was cut.
he isn't good. we won't have regrets.
his sack against Dallas was garbage anyway.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
lol at all the people here saying "i always liked Taco, i would've kept him, they cut him too soon."
this was not the narrative of anyone here when he was cut.
he isn't good. we won't have regrets.
his sack against Dallas was garbage anyway.

They screwed this thing up from the jump.

They allowed coaches to overrule scouts and drafted Taco over TJ Watt.

They followed up that mistake by listening yo those same coaches complain about Taco's attitude while praising "Tyrone Crawford" as some indispensable, jack-of-all-trades, position flex "leader".

Those coaches had the team keep Crawford at a $10 million cost when every sign showed that they should have either outright released him or had him take a huge paycut. This team did neither.

And then they cut Taco, the same player they campaigned for, in a doghouse with no way out, no mater how well he played.

And then released a 2017 1st round draft pick and got NOTHING.

And yet these same people continue to walk the halls of the building as if nothing happened.

I'm keeping score.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
How many does Lawrence have again?

In the last 4 games, 2. But Lawrence has the fat contract, he was never going to be traded or let go, and he plays opposite of Taco usually, plus Lawrence gets more attention from opposing offenses, unlike Taco.

So you have to compare Taco to Quinn, if you compare him to anybody, and Quinn has 4 sacks in the last 4 games as compared to Taco's 3.

Look, Taco's had opportunities to really shine, if he could, and he didn't, would I like to have kept him for depth purposes if the Cowboys weren't in need of better DTs, etc? Sure, but there's only 53 spots, can't keep every "project" player you would like to.

I wish Taco well, as apparently everybody on the Cowboys did, but I don't see him leaving as a big loss....