A little regret on Taco cut?

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Follow it up with the fact that they kept Crawford. An absolutely terrible decision that nobody wants to talk about because they can't defend it. So they choose instead to ignore it. This team cut. 2017 1st round draft pick to keep a player at $10 million that they knew was damaged goods.

This was the big screw up.

Crawford generally played tweener. Taco could too.

We *cut* the young, cheap, healthy guy whose main problem seemed to be that he wasn't getting pass rush snaps just weeks before we put the old, broken guy we kept in his stead on IR.

This is just so laughably dumb. Clown Team.

The annoyance will only grow next year. Crawford gone. Collins gone. Quinn gone. Sure could use some tweener pass rush snaps next year.

Doh! Too bad we cut our first round pick DE we can slide inside.

John813

Reaction score
This team still falls in love with players and can get complacent.

It's like they were burned once with Ced Thornton and refuse to pay more than a mil for DT's from FA.
McCoy or Suh could of been had for the same cap hit as Crawford but nah.

Crawford wasn't a bad player, but he wasn't good either and he was costing them some cap space.
I feel other teams would be more cutthroat in trying to improve, but this team likes certain players and will just hang onto them unless they feel they are a distraction.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

We *cut* the young, cheap, healthy guy whose main problem seemed to be that he wasn't getting pass rush snaps just weeks before we put the old, broken guy we kept in his stead on IR.

The annoyance will only grow next year. Crawford gone. Collins gone. Quinn gone. Sure could use some tweener pass rush snaps next year.

While we sit back and watch TJ Watt go to Pro Bowl after Pro Bowl...

I'm never forgetting, nor am I forgiving, nor am I ignoring, like so many feel compelled to do.

This was all the result of decisions made by Garrett and Marinelli, and both need to be held responsible for it.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

IMO, it was not as much about not getting along with coaches as it was Taco's extreme focus on criticism by fans/media and his inability to overcome it.

He did an interview this preseason and all he could focus on was "they" hate me which he repeated many times in a short interview. By "they" he meant fans/media.

I don't like giving up on 1st round picks and this is the 1st time in the Jerry era that the Cowboys have cut a 1st round pick before he played 3 seasons.

Coaches must have a process for accountability of players and Taco just was not meeting the requirements in practice to be active on game day.

They made a mistake when they picked him and nothing after that was going to end up with fans being happy about whatever they did with Taco.

For some reason they overlooked his personality issues when they drafted him. They've been much better about avoiding that problem ever since they drafted Claiborne without really checking out his mental make-up issues. I don't know why they missed it with Taco.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not for nothing Taco did have his best preseason

But it didn't matter. The coaches had had enough of him, he was in their doghouse, and there was no getting out of it, no matter how well he may have played.

However, we can all take solace in the fact that we still managed to keep the 'indispensable' Tyrone Crawford around at $10 million.

By the way, how did the defensive line manage without Crawford's 'leadership' and 'versatility' this week against the Eagles? Asking for a friend...

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
IMO, it was not as much about not getting along with coaches as it was Taco's extreme focus on criticism by fans/media and his inability to overcome it.

He did an interview this preseason and all he could focus on was "they" hate me which he repeated many times in a short interview. By "they" he meant fans/media.

I don't like giving up on 1st round picks and this is the 1st time in the Jerry era that the Cowboys have cut a 1st round pick before he played 3 seasons.

Coaches must have a process for accountability of players and Taco just was not meeting the requirements in practice to be active on game day.

They made a mistake when they picked him and nothing after that was going to end up with fans being happy about whatever they did with Taco.

For some reason they overlooked his personality issues when they drafted him. They've been much better about avoiding that problem ever since they drafted Claiborne without really checking out his mental make-up issues. I don't know why they missed it with Taco.

Taco has an attitude problem. I think you could see it displayed in his team photo.

But everyone has attitude problems. Managing people is managing those problems. Motivating players is more than clapping. If their "process for accountability" precluded them from getting the value available in Taco, maybe they need a new process.

Miami management managed to get production out of Taco. All it took was putting him on the field this year.

Our management didn't get that production. Failure.

"They made a mistake when they picked him and nothing after that was going to end up with fans being happy about whatever they did with Taco."

That they made a mistake when they drafted him does not absolve them of the mistake of cutting him having already drafted him. The pick was sunk cost at the point they cut him. That making the most of a poor pick wouldn't make people happy about the poor pick doesn't mean you should make the least of the situation.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
But it didn't matter. The coaches had had enough of him, he was in their doghouse, and there was no getting out of it, no matter how well he may have played.

It's funny. Taco should be cut for his bad attitude, but not the coaches for their bad attitudes.

"Wah! Taco gives me badfeelz! He won't follow our process! Cut him!"

Great management process.

Again, reminds me of "locker room cancer" TO. All Tony had to say, or the coaches, was "TO says a lot of things, but when it comes time to play, he brings it. That's what matters."

The purported purpose of all that "process" is to get players to bring it on the field. Keep your eye on the prize.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Taco has an attitude problem. I think you could see it displayed in his team photo.

But everyone has attitude problems. Managing people is managing those problems. Motivating players is more than clapping. If their "process for accountability" precluded them from getting the value available in Taco, maybe they need a new process.

Miami management managed to get production out of Taco. All it took was putting him on the field this year.

Our management didn't get that production. Failure.

"They made a mistake when they picked him and nothing after that was going to end up with fans being happy about whatever they did with Taco."

That they made a mistake when they drafted him does not absolve them of the mistake of cutting him having already drafted him. The pick was sunk cost at the point they cut him. That making the most of a poor pick wouldn't make people happy about the poor pick doesn't mean you should make the least of the situation.

No proof of success in Miami.

They are just having fun doing wacky stuff like rushing almost all defenders often.

I watched all of his snaps in 1 game and he looked about the same.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's funny. Taco should be cut for his bad attitude, but not the coaches for their bad attitudes.

"Wah! Taco gives me badfeelz! He won't follow our process! Cut him!"

Great management process.

Again, reminds me of "locker room cancer" TO. All Tony had to say, or the coaches, was "TO says a lot of things, but when it comes time to play, he brings it. That's what matters."

The purported purpose of all that "process" is to get players to bring it on the field. Keep your eye on the prize.

Exactly. If they're not "Garrett guys", they're gone. It doesn't matter if they're great players or not. Conversely, sucky players like Crawford and Heath are kept around and overpaid year after year 'because they like them.'

Ridiculous.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
"Making the Most of his Opportunities "

Bwahaha! Implicit dig at our coaching staff.

And rightfully so. His preseason play warranted him being active and on the field.

But the same guys who campaigned to draft him 'no longer liked him'.

And the only guy that pays for that to this point is the player.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
No proof of success in Miami.

They are just having fun doing wacky stuff like rushing almost all defenders often.

I watched all of his snaps in 1 game and he looked about the same.

There's no guarantee after 4 games, but that's not an insignificant sample either.

After 4 games
Sacks tackles solo assist TFL QB hits
3.0 16 9 7 3 4

Taco's 4 game pace projected over a full 16 game season
12.0 64 36 28 12 16
100 million dollar man last year
10.5 64 42 22 15 23

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There's no guarantee after 4 games, but that's not an insignificant sample either.

After 4 games
3.0 16 9 7 3 4

12.0 64 36 28 12 16
10.5 64 42 22 15 23

Like I said, I've watched game footage.

Here is one of his sacks. He is #96.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Exactly. If they're not "Garrett guys", they're gone. It doesn't matter if they're great players or not. Conversely, sucky players like Crawford and Heath are kept around and overpaid year after year 'because they like them.'

Ridiculous.

I agree on Garrett, but don't agree on Crawford and Heath.

Crawford was expensive with known health problems. That's why he should have been gone. I don't think he's as bad as you do, and we lacked alternatives. If he had been fully healthy, I would have kept him after seeing what we had in camp.

On Heath, his cost is minimal, and for it we get a full time starter *and* a half time special teams ace. He has played more snaps than anyone on the team. Heath is a value proposition.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

After 4 games
3.0 16 9 7 3 4

12.0 64 36 28 12 16
10.5 64 42 22 15 23

The Dolphins are doing kind of stuff on a regular basis now...

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Like I said, I've watched game footage.

Here is one of his sacks. He is #96.

Sacks are low sample size, but Taco has a lot of tackles too. He's producing. We *cut* him. That's valuing him like a PS player. He's produced way way above that.