A Look at our new OL coach Joe Philibin

quickccc

Reaction score
Here's hoping new OL coach Joe Philibin is ever good as advertised, as he replaces the departed Marc Columbo who seemed like he was one of the better young upcoming OL coaches in the NFL.

As he brought back a physical mauling style and mentality to the OL unit after the disaster with Linehan-recommended OL coach Paul Alexander. who he himself brought in a more finesse-oriented position blocking, high-low hand technique - that entire OL seem to struggle mightily with.

You'll find it very rare to see OL coaches fired at mid-season as Alexander was.
That's how much of an embarrassing catastrophe he was to this team, and anyone in the coaching branch
involved in bringing him in here.

Columbo not only brought a more physical mashing mentality and basics back - but he made marked improvement
in such players as Lael Collins and Conner Williams, and don't forget the unit also finished 2nd in the entire NFL
in least sacks allowed. Many times Dak had a clean pocket and all day to survey the field and throw, before an incoming rusher was even near.

Although there is two difference between Columbo and Philibin.that BTB did not point out, imo.
" Lumbo' was also involved and a big part of the run game blocking scheme. And i didn't observe much
creativity and imagination with the run game, and i thought it bland,predictable, limited and methodical, all we seem to want to do was run up the gut middle.
and there wasn't very many splash runs - especially with Zeke. Seems like coaches were set on having
a grind and pound ball control run attack, though to be fair we were not at our top speed in the OL unit either
with Fredrick being a shell of himself and Williams suffering a IR knee injury.
Kudos to Lumbo for having reserves such as Sua Filo and Brandon Knight prepared to.

- Last i'm taking it to Philibin, McCarthy and RB coach Skip Peete to rejuvenate our run game to where it's more
feared to opposing teams, and geared to more big splash play runs and chunk plays in the pass game as well.
Zeke used to be lethal on quick screens, but that area was really watered down and seemed abandoned under
Kellen Moore's umbrella.
Maybe we will see more misdirection, zone blocking pull-traps under Philibin to better spring more big 'chunk" plays by RBs in both run and pass game, while maintaining excellence as pass blockers.

Philibin is not supposed to known as a quality OL coach, but he is reputed as a very good offensive mind/OC and as an OL coach, his unit always seems to develop pro bowl caliber OL - that were not even 1st rounders.

:D

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Reactions: BAT

quickccc

Reaction score
I was spoiled by frank Pollack and his work with the o-line. Hope philbin will be as successful.

i read and heard reports that the OL unit did not care for Pollack on a personal level.
Not being respected and being resented among the players, can eventually bring bad vibe interaction and poor
response with the players.

The 2 things i can recall with Pollack - who BTW was just as responsible as any coach with the Chaz Green vs ATL disaster-
1) He came from the Bill Callahan tree of zone scheme blocking, and
2) opposing defenses said that they
could not get a clue hint of what the Cowboys offense would do, because the OL had a way of stancing
that wasn't obvious pass ..or run.

But the Chaz Green alone did him in here, and maybe it was only a matter of time before hell hit ceiling with
his personality vs his players.

:eek:

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
i read and heard reports that the OL unit did not care for Pollack on a personal level.
Not being respected and being resented among the players, can eventually bring bad vibe interaction and poor
response with the players.

The 2 things i can recall with Pollack - who BTW was just as responsible as any coach with the Chaz Green vs ATL disaster-
1) He came from the Bill Callahan tree of zone scheme blocking, and
2) opposing defenses said that they
could not get a clue hint of what the Cowboys offense would do, because the OL had a way of stancing
that wasn't obvious pass ..or run.

But the Chaz Green alone did him in here, and maybe it was only a matter of time before hell hit ceiling with
his personality vs his players.

:eek:
Pollack's issue here was that he was outspoken. He was critical of the team and environment. Garrett only wanted get-along coaches or "yes men".

As far as the players not respecting him, I don't think that was it at all. The decision to move on from him and onto Paul Alexander was a colossal failure.

Also, blaming the then rookie OL Coach for Chaz Green is hilarious. Drafting him in the 3rd round was an awful decision by the Front Office. Pollack became the OL coach that off-season, no way he had the clout to prioritize the drafting of Chaz Green in his first few months on the job.

Last edited:

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Per Blogging the Boys - Here's a look at our new OL coach Joe Philibin and his philosophy
he will stress on the OL unit he inherits.

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/202...-quietly-one-of-the-best-hires-this-offseason
Communication is key, and that element was scattered, lost with the last regime.
Enter club McCarthy,, this entire staff has probably all set down together for lunch a few times.
Jerry getting back to basics here, and hit the reset button, its not that complicated.
People can try and figure Jerry out,, its not that hard really,, he gets comfortable with success just like everyone else, but one thing he does know how to do,, is hit that reset button, and even at his age, he hasn't forgotten how to do it.

Last edited:

cern

Reaction score
You mean Bill Callahan. The OL was never the same the moment he left.
Pollack's work with the o-line allowed callahan to be the oc until Garrett stabbed him in the back. Pollack developed freddy, zack, collins and even leary. Pretty impressive imo.

quickccc

Reaction score
Pollack's issue here was that he was outspoken. He was critical of the team and environment. Garrett only wanted get-along coaches or "yes men".

As far as the players not respecting him, I don't think that was it at all. The decision to move on from him and onto Paul Alexander was a colossal failure.

Also, blaming the then rookie OL Coach for Chaz Green is hilarious. Drafting him in the 3rd round was an awful decision by the Front Office. Pollack became the OL coach that off-season, no way he had the clout to prioritize the drafting of Chaz Green in his first few months on the job.

Huh ? rookie OL coach ?
Frank Pollack eventually became the full time OL coach here in 2015.
Same year they drafted Chaz Green in the 3rd round to be the eventual heir apparent replacement for Doug Free.

- But Chaz just could not stay healthy to save his life. and there became a question of his toughness
on both physical and mental sense.
The Chaz Green/ATL horror show happened in 2017.

- Free suddenly retired after 2016 without Cowboys not really preparing for that,so team was forced to go with Lael Collins as new starter at RT.

- And with Tyrone Smith being out at LT, while Collins played the RT role, Chaz had to be asked to sub for
Smith. ..and thus a nightmare like we never experience at any history of the Cowboys.
Not even in the Phil Pozderac era.

- According to Mike Fisher, Scott Linehan was one of Garrett's trusted "lieutenants ", and Linehan wanted
to bring in Paul Alexander long time Bengal OL coach to replace Pollack.
:mad:

quickccc

Reaction score
You mean Bill Callahan. The OL was never the same the moment he left.

Yaaawn... we cannot keep holding on to the Callahan crutch, other NFL teams seem to find quality OL coaches.
which is what we need to do as well. :confused:

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Huh ? rookie OL coach ?
He was the assistant OL coach. What I should have said was that was his first year as the Cowboys official Offensive Line Coach (not assistant).

He may have liked Chaz Green but I can't see him being the authority on draft decisions so soon after his recent promotion.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
Communication is key, and that element was scattered, lost with the last regime.
Enter club McCarthy,, this entire staff has probably all set down together for lunch a few times.
Jerry getting back to basics here, and hit the reset button, its not that complicated.
People can try and figure Jerry out,, its not that hard really,, he gets comfortable with success just like everyone else, but one thing he does know how to do,, is hit that reset button, and even at his age, he hasn't forgotten how to do it

This last time it took Jerry quite a while to hit that "reset button", but at least he finally found it and when he did, he crushed it! :flagwave:

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
This last time it took Jerry quite a while to hit that "reset button", but at least he finally found it and when he did, he crushed it! :flagwave:
I honestly believe Jerry was trying to stay out of the way for once, and why it seemed that he was exercising such extreme patience.
Possibly Stephen got served more than Jerry with the JG era...
The boy learning a valuable lesson maybe.

John813

Reaction score
Not a fan of his

Hope it works out tho

Same. His spineless leadership in Miami still rubs me the wrong way. And the handling of the Martin-Incognito drama was something else.
While I'm glad it seems MM had full control of his coaches, I thought Colombo did a good job for the past 1.5 years. Stinks he went to NYG. He went back to what the vets liked in terms of hand placement and last year we saw improvements from Collins and some from Williams.

Now, credit has to be given to the players too, but the guys respected him.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Same. His spineless leadership in Miami still rubs me the wrong way. And the handling of the Martin-Incognito drama was something else.
While I'm glad it seems MM had full control of his coaches, I thought Colombo did a good job for the past 1.5 years. Stinks he went to NYG. He went back to what the vets liked in terms of hand placement and last year we saw improvements from Collins and some from Williams.

Now, credit has to be given to the players too, but the guys respected him.

agree.

got to watch Colombo in practice many times.

high energy and attention to detail.

we lost a good coach.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Why JJ let’s go of the coach that made our O-Line what it is. He was in control of what JG did and let our O-Line coach leave so JG could hire his friend. Who gets fired mid season.