A Look at our new OL coach Joe Philibin

glimmerman

Reaction score
I would've preferred MM had his own personal choice for OC.
If he was forced to keep Moore then he don’t have the control I thought. I thought he wanted to keep Moore and get younger and fresh plays. I liked what he did in the first few games with the motion. Once we played harder teams we reverted back to conservative ways.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Here's hoping new OL coach Joe Philibin is ever good as advertised, as he replaces the departed Marc Columbo who seemed like he was one of the better young upcoming OL coaches in the NFL.

As he brought back a physical mauling style and mentality to the OL unit after the disaster with Linehan-recommended OL coach Paul Alexander. who he himself brought in a more finesse-oriented position blocking, high-low hand technique - that entire OL seem to struggle mightily with.

You'll find it very rare to see OL coaches fired at mid-season as Alexander was.
That's how much of an embarrassing catastrophe he was to this team, and anyone in the coaching branch
involved in bringing him in here.

Columbo not only brought a more physical mashing mentality and basics back - but he made marked improvement
in such players as Lael Collins and Conner Williams, and don't forget the unit also finished 2nd in the entire NFL
in least sacks allowed. Many times Dak had a clean pocket and all day to survey the field and throw, before an incoming rusher was even near.

Although there is two difference between Columbo and Philibin.that BTB did not point out, imo.
" Lumbo' was also involved and a big part of the run game blocking scheme. And i didn't observe much
creativity and imagination with the run game, and i thought it bland,predictable, limited and methodical, all we seem to want to do was run up the gut middle.
and there wasn't very many splash runs - especially with Zeke. Seems like coaches were set on having
a grind and pound ball control run attack, though to be fair we were not at our top speed in the OL unit either
with Fredrick being a shell of himself and Williams suffering a IR knee injury.
Kudos to Lumbo for having reserves such as Sua Filo and Brandon Knight prepared to.

- Last i'm taking it to Philibin, McCarthy and RB coach Skip Peete to rejuvenate our run game to where it's more
feared to opposing teams, and geared to more big splash play runs and chunk plays in the pass game as well.
Zeke used to be lethal on quick screens, but that area was really watered down and seemed abandoned under
Kellen Moore's umbrella.
Maybe we will see more misdirection, zone blocking pull-traps under Philibin to better spring more big 'chunk" plays by RBs in both run and pass game, while maintaining excellence as pass blockers.

Philibin is not supposed to known as a quality OL coach, but he is reputed as a very good offensive mind/OC and as an OL coach, his unit always seems to develop pro bowl caliber OL - that were not even 1st rounders.

:D

-Skip Peete's last stop was with the Rams and Todd Gurley. Many forget their Super Bowl year how great Gurley was, before getting hurt late in the season.He was a great dual threat weapon and scored a bunch of TD's.

-It's my understanding Columbo used more of a man blocking scheme, the same scheme he was in as a player. The Cowboys are moving back to more of a zbs, which they had tremendous success in the past.

-The run calls last season were very basic and predictable, teams easily diagnosed and schemed against them. There was so much creativity added to the passing game, especially early on, but the rush offense was extremely vanilla.

-Philbin as a long, successful track record of being an OC and a OL assistant coach. He will be integrating the plays with MM/Moore within their offense and treating it like a sub-unit. What I am trying to say is, like the defensive front with Marinelli and Richard not being on the same page, but on the offensive side.

mmohican29

Reaction score
Im actually tired of pumping up assistant coaches. We always hear about how great they are and they don't turn out that way. This line will come and go based on injuries and whether they can solve their center and guard problems.

Perhaps it was the HC who mitigated the effectiveness of all coaches since 2010?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Pollack's issue here was that he was outspoken. He was critical of the team and environment. Garrett only wanted get-along coaches or "yes men".

As far as the players not respecting him, I don't think that was it at all. The decision to move on from him and onto Paul Alexander was a colossal failure.

From bad to worse in Alexander.

Also, blaming the then rookie OL Coach for Chaz Green is hilarious. Drafting him in the 3rd round was an awful decision by the Front Office. Pollack became the OL coach that off-season, no way he had the clout to prioritize the drafting of Chaz Green in his first few months on the job.

Make no mistake, Chaz Green was Pollack's guy. He was the one that went to Florida and worked him out and he was the guy who recommended they draft him. He was also the guy that tried whatever he could to find somewhere to put Green, despite the fact that he was tissue-paper soft. And as you mentioned, Pollack wasn't the "get-along" type of a coach anyway, and combined with that and the debacle of Green, that cost him his job in Dallas.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Huh ? rookie OL coach ?
Frank Pollack eventually became the full time OL coach here in 2015.
Same year they drafted Chaz Green in the 3rd round to be the eventual heir apparent replacement for Doug Free.

- But Chaz just could not stay healthy to save his life. and there became a question of his toughness
on both physical and mental sense.
The Chaz Green/ATL horror show happened in 2017.

- Free suddenly retired after 2016 without Cowboys not really preparing for that,so team was forced to go with Lael Collins as new starter at RT.

- And with Tyrone Smith being out at LT, while Collins played the RT role, Chaz had to be asked to sub for
Smith. ..and thus a nightmare like we never experience at any history of the Cowboys.
Not even in the Phil Pozderac era.

- According to Mike Fisher, Scott Linehan was one of Garrett's trusted "lieutenants ", and Linehan wanted
to bring in Paul Alexander long time Bengal OL coach to replace Pollack.

:mad:

Not accurate. While Linehan did want Pollack replaced, as well as several assistants (and somehow got his wish), he didn't specify that he wanted Alexander for the job. In fact, before hiring Alexander, the Cowboys interviewed a superior offensive line coach in Mike Solari. Garrett ultimately went with Alexander because his brother John knew him from their time together in Cincinnati. The Alexander hire was a Garrett decision, not a Linehan one.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Pollack's issue here was that he was outspoken. He was critical of the team and environment. Garrett only wanted get-along coaches or "yes men".

As far as the players not respecting him, I don't think that was it at all. The decision to move on from him and onto Paul Alexander was a colossal failure.

Also, blaming the then rookie OL Coach for Chaz Green is hilarious. Drafting him in the 3rd round was an awful decision by the Front Office. Pollack became the OL coach that off-season, no way he had the clout to prioritize the drafting of Chaz Green in his first few months on the job.
On the All or Nothing series it was obvious that he too old school for Garrett.

It reminds me of a Dave Chappell "When keeping it real goes wrong" skit, the story of Vernon Franklin.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Not accurate. While Linehan did want Pollack replaced, as well as several assistants (and somehow got his wish), he didn't specify that he wanted Alexander for the job. In fact, before hiring Alexander, the Cowboys interviewed a superior offensive line coach in Mike Solari. Garrett ultimately went with Alexander because his brother John knew him from their time together in Cincinnati. The Alexander hire was a Garrett decision, not a Linehan one.
That's funny, I didn't remember that.

Another twist is that back in 2008 when Sparano and some of the other Parcells guys left for Miami, Phillips wanted to hire Solari, but Jerry went with Garrett's choice of Houck instead. (Along with a few other of Garrett's choices over that of the head coach.)

Just another example of how disadvantaged Garrett was here, I guess.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That's funny, I didn't remember that.

Another miss that we can thank a Garrett for. There's a long list.

Another twist is that back in 2008 when all the Parcells guys including Sparano left for Miami, Phillips wanted to hire Solari, but Jerry went with Garrett's choice of Houck instead. (Along with a few other of Garrett's choices over that of the head coach.)

Just another example of how disadvantaged Garrett was here, I guess.

Kind of destroys the false narrative that 'Jerry forced assistants on Garrett' doesn't it?

But rest assured, that won't stop people from still trying to get away in claiming it.

The fact is that Garrett had very little knowledge of NFL coaches and assistants. He had a very small circle of guys that he knew and he stuck with them, or he listened to bad advice from his brother (Alexander). Garrett didn't know good coaching or good coaches, and the Joneses certainly didn't. So what we got were guys that Garrett had familiarity with, despite the fact that the game had passed them by (Kiffin, Marinelli, Alexander).

Have I mentioned lately how thrilled I am that he's gone?

quickccc

Reaction score

https://www.cowboyszone.com/comments/864qxj/mike_fisher_reporting_that_theres_a_higher_up_on/

Mike Fisher reporting that there's a higher up on the Cowboys that wants Dez gone
renderTimingPixel.png

Here's the article: https://scout.com/nfl/cowboys/Artic...nd-Up-116519608/Amp?__twitter_impression=true

And heres an interesting part about Scott Linehan:

"Am I being unfair to contemplate whether offensive coordinator Scott Linehan so disliked Dez' frank analysis of Dallas' creativity-free offense that wants Bryant thrown overboard?

Ah, Scott Linehan. Yeah, he's got somebody's ear here. I'm told that the dismissal of Frank Pollard as O-line coach, even though he was under contract, was Linehan-driven. I'm told the self-directed departure of receivers coach Derek Dooley was the result of his frustration with his supervisor not listening to him. I'm told the departure of QB coach Wade Wilson occurred for the same reason. And obviously, the hand-picked successor at that spot, Kellen Moore, is a Linehan Lieutenant."

Reactions: BAT

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
https://www.cowboyszone.com/comments/864qxj/mike_fisher_reporting_that_theres_a_higher_up_on/

Mike Fisher reporting that there's a higher up on the Cowboys that wants Dez gone
renderTimingPixel.png

Here's the article: https://scout.com/nfl/cowboys/Artic...nd-Up-116519608/Amp?__twitter_impression=true

And heres an interesting part about Scott Linehan:

"Am I being unfair to contemplate whether offensive coordinator Scott Linehan so disliked Dez' frank analysis of Dallas' creativity-free offense that wants Bryant thrown overboard?

Ah, Scott Linehan. Yeah, he's got somebody's ear here. I'm told that the dismissal of Frank Pollard as O-line coach, even though he was under contract, was Linehan-driven. I'm told the self-directed departure of receivers coach Derek Dooley was the result of his frustration with his supervisor not listening to him. I'm told the departure of QB coach Wade Wilson occurred for the same reason. And obviously, the hand-picked successor at that spot, Kellen Moore, is a Linehan Lieutenant."

Right, as I said, but take note that nowhere does it say anything about Linehan "wanting Alexander to replace Pollack as offensive line coach". Linehan just wanted everyone gone, he didn't much know or care about who replaced them. That's where Garrett came in, and he chose Alexander based on brother John's recommendations.

The whole thing is mind-bogglingly bizarre anyway. How this team actually gave Linehan more authority after that 2017 season makes absolutely no sense, and the poor results in 2018 bear that out. He should have been out with the rest of them, but instead, the team wasted another season by listening to him and giving him whatever he wanted.

Reaction score
You mean Bill Callahan. The OL was never the same the moment he left.

I liked Columbo's attitude and physical approach but I have to say the results were mixed. Better than Alexander? Yes, but the OL still struggled and never looked anywhere as good as when Callahan was here.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I liked Columbo's attitude and physical approach but I have to say the results were mixed. Better than Alexander? Yes, but the OL still struggled and never looked anywhere as good as when Callahan was here.

Callahan had a top 5 scoring offense for back-to-back years when he was the coordinator, but Garrett couldn't have yet another guy making him look bad. Callahan had to go.

And what was once inarguably the best offensive line in the league has been slowly downgrading ever since.

quickccc

Reaction score
Right, as I said, but take note that nowhere does it say anything about Linehan "wanting Alexander to replace Pollack as offensive line coach". Linehan just wanted everyone gone, he didn't much know or care about who replaced them. That's where Garrett came in, and he chose Alexander based on brother John's recommendations.

The whole thing is mind-bogglingly bizarre anyway. How this team actually gave Linehan more authority after that 2017 season makes absolutely no sense, and the poor results in 2018 bear that out. He should have been out with the rest of them, but instead, the team wasted another season by listening to him and giving him whatever he wanted.

Not quite accurate. Not quite everybody.
while OL coach Pollack and TE coach Lunda Wells departed outta da door, RB coach Gary Brown and asst. OL coach Marc Columbo remained.

- My guess with Linehan having that much authority say so in coaching and personnel, Garrett became so incompetent that he became to entrust Linehan to " fix" problems in regards to both player personnel and assistant position coaches, rather than he, the head coach stepping in to fix the problems starting at the very top.

- It's up to the HC, to know when to delegate how much authority to his assistant coaches - and whe he the HC needs to step in and make his presence felt among his entire team.

Garrett just simply did not know when and how to do this.
"Adjustment " was just never a strong suit of his and it showed it's ugly head in a various ways and amount.
And we wasted way too many years waiting on Garrett himself to make key adjustments - both on and off the field. And we paid the price for it.

:(

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not quite accurate. Not quite everybody.
while OL coach Pollack and TE coach Lunda Wells departed outta da door, RB coach Gary Brown and asst. OL coach Marc Columbo remained.

Sorry, what I meant to say was that Linehan wanted everybody that ended up departing gone. In ither words, he got his way and what he wanted, including Dez gone.

- My guess with Linehan having that much authority say so in coaching and personnel, Garrett became so incompetent that he became to entrust Linehan to " fix" problems in regards to both player personnel and assistant position coaches, rather than he, the head coach stepping in to fix the problems starting at the very top.

- It's up to the HC, to know when to delegate how much authority to his assistant coaches - and whe he the HC needs to step in and make his presence felt among his entire team.

Garrett just simply did not know when and how to do this.
"Adjustment " was just never a strong suit of his and it showed it's ugly head in a various ways and amount.
And we wasted way too many years waiting on Garrett himself to make key adjustments - both on and off the field. And we paid the price for it.

:(

Yes, a wasted decade.

Dreski

Reaction score
What makes me excited about the staff is they’ve all mostly worked together before and they know what to expect from each other. Gives me hope that the staff will work more cohesively

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Until we see what these coaches really do. Are they washed up and out of touch? Or are they former versions of Clapper? I’m excited to see, because it looks good on paper.

All these guys have a past in the NFL. As did Marinelli, Callahan, Garrett, Campo, Gailey, etc… o_O

fivetwos

Reaction score
Here's hoping new OL coach Joe Philibin is ever good as advertised, as he replaces the departed Marc Columbo who seemed like he was one of the better young upcoming OL coaches in the NFL.

As he brought back a physical mauling style and mentality to the OL unit after the disaster with Linehan-recommended OL coach Paul Alexander. who he himself brought in a more finesse-oriented position blocking, high-low hand technique - that entire OL seem to struggle mightily with.

You'll find it very rare to see OL coaches fired at mid-season as Alexander was.
That's how much of an embarrassing catastrophe he was to this team, and anyone in the coaching branch
involved in bringing him in here.

Columbo not only brought a more physical mashing mentality and basics back - but he made marked improvement
in such players as Lael Collins and Conner Williams, and don't forget the unit also finished 2nd in the entire NFL
in least sacks allowed. Many times Dak had a clean pocket and all day to survey the field and throw, before an incoming rusher was even near.

Although there is two difference between Columbo and Philibin.that BTB did not point out, imo.
" Lumbo' was also involved and a big part of the run game blocking scheme. And i didn't observe much
creativity and imagination with the run game, and i thought it bland,predictable, limited and methodical, all we seem to want to do was run up the gut middle.
and there wasn't very many splash runs - especially with Zeke. Seems like coaches were set on having
a grind and pound ball control run attack, though to be fair we were not at our top speed in the OL unit either
with Fredrick being a shell of himself and Williams suffering a IR knee injury.
Kudos to Lumbo for having reserves such as Sua Filo and Brandon Knight prepared to.

- Last i'm taking it to Philibin, McCarthy and RB coach Skip Peete to rejuvenate our run game to where it's more
feared to opposing teams, and geared to more big splash play runs and chunk plays in the pass game as well.
Zeke used to be lethal on quick screens, but that area was really watered down and seemed abandoned under
Kellen Moore's umbrella.
Maybe we will see more misdirection, zone blocking pull-traps under Philibin to better spring more big 'chunk" plays by RBs in both run and pass game, while maintaining excellence as pass blockers.

Philibin is not supposed to known as a quality OL coach, but he is reputed as a very good offensive mind/OC and as an OL coach, his unit always seems to develop pro bowl caliber OL - that were not even 1st rounders.

:D
Didnt realize that about Alexander.

So we were soft by DESIGN just about everywhere?

Now it's becoming daily when I see something else that infuriates me...

And no I WONT let it go.