A Look at our new OL coach Joe Philibin

quickccc

Reaction score
I liked Columbo's attitude and physical approach but I have to say the results were mixed. Better than Alexander? Yes, but the OL still struggled and never looked anywhere as good as when Callahan was here.

we finished 2nd in the entire NFL in least sacks allowed.
We well protected our QB. i don't see how we can consider that as "struggling."
And again Callahan is not the only quality OL coach around the NFL.

Cattle_Rancher

Reaction score
My question is does Joe's style fit this group. The guy who came here last year is a good O-line coach but his style didn't work with these guys.

Reactions: BAT

quickccc

Reaction score
My question is does Joe's style fit this group. The guy who came here last year is a good O-line coach but his style didn't work with these guys.

yeh, Alexander is such a good OLine coach that no other NFL team wanted him in their organization and
the guy is now coaching an " consulant " overseas with a foreign pro football team
. :thumbdown:

Buzzbait

Reaction score
If he was forced to keep Moore then he don’t have the control I thought. I thought he wanted to keep Moore and get younger and fresh plays. I liked what he did in the first few games with the motion. Once we played harder teams we reverted back to conservative ways.

Well I don't pretend to know exactly what took place about Kellen Moore, whether retaining Moore was a condition set by Jerry or if MM really did like the idea of keeping him. All I know was that in the beginning things I read about MM sounded like he fully intended to call his own plays. Then all of a sudden we heard that Moore was the OC and everything got quiet about MM calling his own plays. I don't know if that's good or bad, but I still would've preferred that McCarthy had the right to make his own choice for OC.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
I’m sorry. This guy was a monumental dud in Miami as head coach.

It was my understanding Miami was a "monumental dud" of a team before he inherited the HC job. I'm not sure ANY coach could've made much difference in the short run with circumstances like that.

Last edited:

plasticman

Reaction score
This gets me to thinking....

How in the world does Philibin, an old former Head Coaches with up to three decades of experience take instructions from OC Moore? He probably entered coaching before Moore was born.That's a lot of experience in the offensive coaching ranks. I get the feeling if Moore doesn't shine early, he could be out swiftly.

plasticman

Reaction score
Why JJ let’s go of the coach that made our O-Line what it is. He was in control of what JG did and let our O-Line coach leave so JG could hire his friend. Who gets fired mid season.
I'm pretty certain that four 1st round draft picks and a 2nd round draft pick made this line what it is.

(There is no doubt that Collins was a 1st round talent and would have been drafted as such if it wasn't for a complete screw job by that police department and the media running wild with the story about Collin's ex-girlfriend.)

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
If he was forced to keep Moore then he don’t have the control I thought. I thought he wanted to keep Moore and get younger and fresh plays. I liked what he did in the first few games with the motion. Once we played harder teams we reverted back to conservative ways.
This has been discussed.

glimmerman

Reaction score
It was my understanding Miami was a "monumental dud" of a team before he inherited the HC job. I'm not sure ANY coach could've made much difference in the short run with circumstances like that.
JJ was stocking the team up when Jimmy Johnson came in. They built a dynasty team. That’s why we had a HC like switzer come in and get a ring. When Johnson went to Miami I think the salary cap hurt him.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
This gets me to thinking....

How in the world does Philibin, an old former Head Coaches with up to three decades of experience take instructions from OC Moore? He probably entered coaching before Moore was born.That's a lot of experience in the offensive coaching ranks. I get the feeling if Moore doesn't shine early, he could be out swiftly.

you are close to the truth...

you know Mike wanted Moore fired. But Jerry still runs the team.

jerry loves Moore. The kid has a bright future with the team.

btw, they fired Colombo so Mike would have Philbin on board. They are big buddies.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
i read and heard reports that the OL unit did not care for Pollack on a personal level.
Not being respected and being resented among the players, can eventually bring bad vibe interaction and poor
response with the players.

The 2 things i can recall with Pollack - who BTW was just as responsible as any coach with the Chaz Green vs ATL disaster-
1) He came from the Bill Callahan tree of zone scheme blocking, and
2) opposing defenses said that they
could not get a clue hint of what the Cowboys offense would do, because the OL had a way of stancing
that wasn't obvious pass ..or run.

But the Chaz Green alone did him in here, and maybe it was only a matter of time before hell hit ceiling with
his personality vs his players.

:eek:

It was clear in the TV show (the name escapes me) that he held and expressed opinions that didn't mesh with the players on some sensitive issues.

Dude couldn't read the room. Wasn't surprised to see him replaced.

bigdnlaca

Reaction score
My theory is that Joe was brought in because he could be the OC if Moore doesnt work out since Joe was the OC during the Favre/Rodgers years.

Also, Columbo would have never been given a chance to move up past Oline coach. Wouldnt be surprised if Columbo wanted to leave.

plasticman

Reaction score
Why do we keep attributing all these fantastic abilities to the new coaching staff members. It seems to me that what they all have in common was constantly being fired.

They haven't done anything in Dallas, nothing. Their record here so far is 0-0. If this team goes 9-7 this season then they have matched Garrett's career winning percentage. This team must have double digit wins at the least to be considered an improvement.

As far as Jerry's ability to reset is concerned, there is nothing for him to be proud of so far. Every previous reset has been a dismal failure.