"A lot of us in the NFL don't love football."

erod

Reaction score
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...on-a-lot-of-us-in-the-nfl-dont-love-football/

“I don’t think a lot of these guys love football, to be honest,” Cameron told ESPN. “A lot of them don’t. You play for other reasons, and every guy has their own reason. They know why, and as long as your why is really important, you keep playing without really loving football. Because really, who loves to get hit in 10-degree weather by a 280-pound person? Really, no one likes that. ‘Do you love football?’ I couldn’t stand when people asked me that.”

Cameron said the players who are truly passionate about the game are a minority.

“Do you really love football?” he said. “A lot of guys don’t really love it. There’s a few guys that love it. Ray Lewis loves football. Peyton Manning. They love it. But a lot of guys don’t really love this game, and there are players that will read this who will understand exactly what I’m talking about.”

Makes me think about our team.

What Cowboys do you think truly love football? And what guys are merely cashing a check with natural ability at this point?

I'll start....

Dez Bryant loves football.

Demarcus Lawrence is cashing a check.

AbeBeta

Reaction score

erod

Reaction score
Why the hate for Lawrence? Getting hurt is different from not wanting to play

Doesn't strike me as a studier. Then there was the suspension. I certainly don't fault him for his back issues.

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
I'm sure this will devolve into, good player loves football, bad player doesn't, i.e. "Witten loves football, Escobar doesn't" with little basis besides the aforementioned qualities, or each person's own evaluation of them...

Personally I feel that everyone's motivations are suspect until you have played a good long while and made a lot of money. I also personally do not care one way or another, as I don't love everything about my job.

But yeah, I guess at this point it's clear that Witten at least loves football.

negativecreep

Reaction score
Dez, Zeke, Witten, Travis, Zach, Tyron are the ones for me that truly love it, I mean throw in guys like Lee...I think the majority of this team really loves it. Not much faith in obvious ones like Gregory...doubts about Whitehead, Lawrence, and Thornton. Hope im wrong...I really do.

CWR

Reaction score
Dak
Zeke
Witten
Romo
Dez
Lee

Some guys are outwardly passionate about it and those are easy to spot. Its probably no coincidence that our best players fall onto this list.

I get what Cameron is saying though. Some guys excel due to personal pride and financial motives. Some guys are great because of thier love for the game.

erod

Reaction score
I'm sure this will devolve into, good player loves football, bad player doesn't, i.e. "Witten loves football, Escobar doesn't" with little basis besides the aforementioned qualities, or each person's own evaluation of them...

Personally I feel that everyone's motivations are suspect until you have played a good long while and made a lot of money. I also personally do not care one way or another, as I don't love everything about my job.

But yeah, I guess at this point it's clear that Witten at least loves football.

Guys I don't question at all....

Lee, Witten, Dez, Zeke, Frederick, Martin, (Leary), Crawford, Carr, Hitchens, Heath.

I'm not sure Dak loves football as much as he loves leading men. Same difference.

I suspect Jaylon Smith loves it, too.

Reactions: CWR

ShiningStar

Reaction score
Guys I don't question at all....

Lee, Witten, Dez, Zeke, Frederick, Martin, (Leary), Crawford, Carr, Hitchens, Heath.

I'm not sure Dak loves football as much as he loves leading men. Same difference.

I suspect Jaylon Smith loves it, too.

Dak got into it just to lead men? Better than the military?

CWR

Reaction score
Zeke's on record that he's not a football fan. Doesn't watch it. Only loves playing it.

I guess that's not quite the same as loving the game but loving to play has to count for something.

It would be hard to follow the nfl if you were in the nfl. You end up hating teams you never thought youd hate and being on teams you could never stand. Its not very often you get drafted to your childhood favorite team.

Longboysfan

hipfake08
Reaction score
I would say there are more of the "NFL is just a well paying Job." working in the NFL offices that the players and coaches.

cowboys5xsbs

Reaction score
I know Romo loved the game. I think Dak loves the game. I have not seen enough of Dak to know for sure.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
Seems like a pretty generalized broad statement from somebody. I'm sure there are guys out there that possible don't love the game as much as others but I feel most those players are enjoying what they're doing.

I think the NFL, as a big money business, is probably ruining the sport for some young players. I'm sure it's mentally tough on some of these kids. There's a lot being put on their plates. When I was 20 all I was worried about was girls, friends, and drinking. Lol These kids have 100 thousand people screaming at them to lead them to a Super Bowl........yesterday. That's if they make the team or if they bounce around the league always worried if they're good enough.

That's a lot of pressure! I can see it overshadowing some of the love.