"A lot of us in the NFL don't love football."

erod

Reaction score
How many people here love their jobs/career, or are merely just collecting a paycheck?
Apples and oranges.

How many people here wish they had the talent not to have to hang up the cleats in high school?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I always felt this way. And who can fault them? These guys essentially are risking their lives to play a sport millions love and enjoy. But in reality.....none of these guys would do this for free. How can you love to hurt someone? It takes a certain individual to do that.

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
I know Romo loved the game. I think Dak loves the game. I have not seen enough of Dak to know for sure.

You KNOW Romo who did nothing but play golf every offseason loves it, and the guy who is in Orlando right now with a team trying to help him get better at football doesn't?

Ok.

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
Guys I don't question at all....

Lee, Witten, Dez, Zeke, Frederick, Martin, (Leary), Crawford, Carr, Hitchens, Heath.

I'm not sure Dak loves football as much as he loves leading men. Same difference.

I suspect Jaylon Smith loves it, too.

Zeke loves it, Dak doesn't-no agenda there.

Pathetic.

SilverStarCowboy

The Actualist
Reaction score
In this aspect the culture of Dallas has most always thrived with players who love the game. Ofcourse when you are not very successful (5-11/6-10) it's a lot harder accomplishment.

JJHLH1

Reaction score
Dak loves football. He occasionally tweets his excitement when another QB has a great game, like Brady did in the SB. He was thrilled to go to the Pro Bowl where he could learn from more experienced players like Drew Brees. Dak is spending a big part of his offseason trying to get even better. That commitment to excellence comes from true passion.

Witten is another obvious choice. Anyone who plays with a broken jaw and ruptured spleen has to have a deep love for the game.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
When you see a guy like L Collins running leade block full tilt boogie +40 yards down field,,, ya, I'd say he's a guy that loves playing

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score
I'd bet at least 80 percent of the current players league wide do it for the money and little else. They may enjoy parts of the game, but they don't love it. Once I realized how few people playing the game love it as much as I do, it changed my perception as a fan. Not that I can blame a single one of them for trying to make money.

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
they love the money that is the most important part for the players and the owners its about the money and has been for a long time now and gets even more about the money

SlammedZero

Reaction score
Money has changed the game. In the 70s, they had to love it because, while it paid well, it didn't pay astronomically well like pro sports today can.

Charlie Waters was paid the equivalent of about $150,000 today. Good money, but hardly exceptional. Today, he'd make $6 million.

Yeah and you wonder when the inflation will stop, if ever. What's the next 50 years going to show us? A $1 billion dollar QB contract. Lol

SportsGuru80

CowboysYanksLakers
Reaction score
A lot of people do not enjoy their job but it pays the bills, I can understand where he's coming from.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
I always felt this way. And who can fault them? These guys essentially are risking their lives to play a sport millions love and enjoy. But in reality.....none of these guys would do this for free. How can you love to hurt someone? It takes a certain individual to do that.

LoL, I would play in the 'pickup' full contact games out in the park with a bunch of the other young turks back in my twenties, and a lot us held grudges over petty b.s. and stuff like stealing girlfriends, keg party's and such, so getting a chance to unload on somebody without having to fight them everytime you met them ,it was fun .

MWH1967

The Cook
Reaction score
I got lucky....I love my job. I'm good just watching the game i love. I am However glad we have players on this team that love the game...Dez,Zeke, Lee, Dak, T-Will,Witten, ect. I can live with a few understanding it's a Job.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
All the players I like love the game. All the players I dont like dont love the game

I suspect the players I have a passive/agressive agenda on dont love it either

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
I don't think D-Lawrence is cashing a check at all. I think his enthusiasm is there, it's just tough when you're hurt.

The reality is that in the NFL, it's a job. And while it may be your dream job, it's not always going to feel like a dream job. And you have to look out for yourself from time-to-time and there are always coaches who don't know what they are doing and coaches and organizations that don't have your best interests at heart. Sometimes that is malicious, other times it's a case of not being able to please everybody.

And to be honest, I think the team that may have the lowest % of players that truly love the game are the Patriots. But, there are benefits to playing for the Patriots like winning and then being a highly sought player after the Patriots are done with you.

I can see why a guy like Doug Free retired...it's really hard work and the mundane and physical nature of training camp and then dealing with getting hurt and injuries during the regular season makes football unappealing.

That's why Favre faked retirements...supposedly the guy that loved the game couldn't stand going to training camp year-after-year. I think Favre loved the game, but a lot of the miscellaneous stuff makes the game a lot less fun.

YR

csirl

Reaction score

There are loads of people who do play for nothing in amateur leagues on front of sparse crowds. I did it myself. I played with players who were in it to hit people, but the vast majority simply love the game and the camaraderie that goes with it.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
There are loads of people who do play for nothing in amateur leagues on front of sparse crowds. I did it myself. I played with players who were in it to hit people, but the vast majority simply love the game and the camaraderie that goes with it.

There's a BIG difference between playing amateur league and playing against 300 pounders who can run a 4.6. Not the same.

LoL, I would play in the 'pickup' full contact games out in the park with a bunch of the other young turks back in my twenties, and a lot us held grudges over petty b.s. and stuff like stealing girlfriends, keg party's and such, so getting a chance to unload on somebody without having to fight them everytime you met them ,it was fun .

Once again.......playing pick up games and playing amateur football is not the same as playing in the NFL. IF you've gone to a game you see the speed those guys play at. It looks even faster in person then on TV.