"A lot of us in the NFL don't love football."

Reaction score
Who are the team captains? Who are considered the leaders in the locker room? Who are the guys who don't get in a sniff of trouble off the field? Who does extra physical and mental reps in the offseason? They are the guy who love the game. Guys like Tom Brady and Russell Wilson clearly love the game.

Guys who have off field issues: trouble with the law, drugs, etc. Team issues: late for team meetings, doesn't watch extra tape, does the minimum amount of work in the off season, etc. They are the guys who are in it for the money. Guys like Pacman Jones and Rolondo McLain is the primary example to me.

Reaction score
I think one can say that a lot of us in the workforce don't love our chosen fields of employment. It serves as a means to an end.

Football is no different.
For a lot of these guys, football is a way to get out of the 'hood. That can be a much bigger motivation than the game itself. Then once they get paid and have the huge house and the Bentley, their drive to succeed diminishes.

Of course, I'm generalizing. But it is true in many cases.

erod

Reaction score
Seems like a pretty generalized broad statement from somebody. I'm sure there are guys out there that possible don't love the game as much as others but I feel most those players are enjoying what they're doing.

I think the NFL, as a big money business, is probably ruining the sport for some young players. I'm sure it's mentally tough on some of these kids. There's a lot being put on their plates. When I was 20 all I was worried about was girls, friends, and drinking. Lol These kids have 100 thousand people screaming at them to lead them to a Super Bowl........yesterday. That's if they make the team or if they bounce around the league always worried if they're good enough.

That's a lot of pressure! I can see it overshadowing some of the love.

Money has changed the game. In the 70s, they had to love it because, while it paid well, it didn't pay astronomically well like pro sports today can.

Charlie Waters was paid the equivalent of about $150,000 today. Good money, but hardly exceptional. Today, he'd make $6 million.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

erod

Reaction score
I know Romo loved the game. I think Dak loves the game. I have not seen enough of Dak to know for sure.

I think generally all great or soon-to-be-great QBs do love the game.

You have to love it to stand in there with your eyes down field like Romo. You have to love it to study it like Dak and Romo. And you love it to beat out the hundreds of guys since high school that wanted to be the QB.

Jay Cutler doesn't love it. He should be outstanding. Matt Leinart didn't. Vince Young didn't. Got their checks, and were totally satisfied.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I would say the majority of OL and DL do not love football.

Being that big and constantly crashing into other big people while hardly ever getting any praise for your efforts is frustrating and over time just becomes a chore.

I would say the majority of players love playing in the actual game on Sunday but the meetings, practice, and all of the other side stuff that goes into it would become stale.

Those million dollar pay days will keep you going though,

erod

Reaction score
I would say the majority of OL and DL do not love football.

Being that big and constantly crashing into other big people while hardly ever getting any praise for your efforts is frustrating and over time just becomes a chore.

I would say the majority of players love playing in the actual game on Sunday but the meetings, practice, and all of the other side stuff that goes into it would become stale.

Those million dollar pay days will keep you going though,

The flip side, do those guys pull in the caliber of cash and girls they would in the real world? Uh, no. LOL

I think they might actually love it more because their jobs are much simpler, especially if they're naturally built for it. (Some are the works of PEDs.)

slick325

Reaction score
That take by Cameron is not uncommon for any career. I love practicing Sports and Entertainment Law and the law in general but there are millions of attorneys including great ones that can't stand their jobs.

So hearing this doesn't bother me at all. What would bother me is someone who isn't a professional or doesn't care enough to be a professional and attempt to excel at their job. Pride in what you do is the most important trait IMO.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Who are the team captains? Who are considered the leaders in the locker room? Who are the guys who don't get in a sniff of trouble off the field? Who does extra physical and mental reps in the offseason? They are the guy who love the game. Guys like Tom Brady and Russell Wilson clearly love the game.

Guys who have off field issues: trouble with the law, drugs, etc. Team issues: late for team meetings, doesn't watch extra tape, does the minimum amount of work in the off season, etc. They are the guys who are in it for the money. Guys like Pacman Jones and Rolondo McLain is the primary example to me.

You're taking examples from both ends of the spectrum... It's the guys between those 2 ends that we should be asking if they really love the game and im sure the majority of them like the money and fame but the actual job is a huge grind and makes them not love it.

It's a lot easier to love football when you're throwing and catching passes but having to crash into some other big guy for a living would get old.

khiladi

Reaction score
You probably find the guys that don't really love it are the ones who play positions like OL and DL... WR is a prima-donna position with lots of glory and the game protects them and QBs... DL and OL, your getting punched in the ribs regularly, your getting stepped on...

superonyx

Reaction score
It's normal for a grown man to not love having other big grown men hitting and tackling them.

How many of you have played an actual game of tackle football since they have been grown?
My last time was a few years back and the opening kickoff was like a scene from braveheart...just brutal.....

You have to be sick to love that.

erod

Reaction score
It's normal for a grown man to not love having other big grown men hitting and tackling them.

How many of you have played an actual game of tackle football since they have been grown?
My last time was a few years back and the opening kickoff was like a scene from braveheart...just brutal.....

You have to be sick to love that.
You can hate aspects of it but still love it. Some guys can't let it go.

But I think having $10 million in the bank definitely kills the drive and love that you had before.

Plankton

Reaction score
You can hate aspects of it but still love it. Some guys can't let it go.

But I think having $10 million in the bank definitely kills the drive and love that you had before.

Marvin Hagler had a line when discussing training for a fight that kind of sums this premise up:

It's hard to get up at the crack of dawn to run 5 miles when you're sleeping on silk sheets.

AmericasTeam81

Reaction score
How many people here love their jobs/career, or are merely just collecting a paycheck?

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I'll say this. And I've been accused of a whole lot of Romo hating lately so let me dispel that rumor too...

Romo loves the game of football. Everything about it. Play it, coach it, talk it, it is a part of him. He may retire but he's not leaving football.