**A MUST READ**I'm disappointed in some people here.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Way 'nuff said:
I haven't been around this board long, but I must say I've liked it. There are some great people on here. For the most part, the banter has been good.

Yeah, I'm a Skins fan, yeah, this isn't my house, but ever since this TO stuff broke, I can't help but notice what has come over some people on this board.

Don't confuse this with another TO thread because in my mind, this subject transcends him. This isn't a Skins fan talking to Cowboys fans...this is a football fan talking to other football fans.

I think most football fans can relate to each other in the sense that, most likely, you watched your favorite team when you were little all the way up until now, never wavering through the good times and the bad. I tip my hat to you Cowboys fans who stuck through the hard times when you were 1-15 (and yes, I KNOW who that one win came against...). As a Skins fan, up until this past year, the previous decade or so has been really lean, but I digress.

You probably grew up rushing home from church, sitting on the couch with your dad while he taught you about the game. You probably had a favorite player, collected all his football cards, tried to get his autograph whenever you could, always looked at his name in the box score, had all his stats memorized and cheered him on through the hard times as well. Even though you've grown up and that player is well on in age, you still see old pictures of him and get chills. He's still your hero, and deep down you're a little kid. Because after all this is a game, right? And games are for kids.

You probably sit on this site when you should be doing things that are more meaningful or more productive (like your job) and debate things ad nauseum. You've got jerseys, hats, sweatpants, sweatshirts, pictures, mugs, pint glasses, EVERYTHING with your teams logo on it, you have it. Your family members and loved ones try to understand and some of them don't get it and never will. But thats their problem, not yours.

In the offseason you devour every little tidbit of info you can get your hands on because if you're like me, you like other sports but nothing quenches your thirst like the NFL does. You analyze to death the FA moves you make, the draft picks you get, the coaches that come aboard...you go to the training camps, watch preseason games like you're a crackhead fiending for a hit all awaiting for the crescendo that is the kickoff on that first Sunday in September.

And some of you are going to throw all of that away because your team just signed a player you hate?

Listen, I'm not trying to tell people here what to do. Odds are that my rant here will just be glossed over and won't be taken seriously. People are going to do whatever they want regardless of what some ******* Commander fan is posting on a Cowboy message board.

All I'm saying is, to those who are seriously intending to ditch their allegiance to the Cowboys, think about all that you've invested in over the span of your life as a fan of the Cowboys. And you're really going to let Terrell Owens ruin the Cowboy Fan Experience for you?

Because, in the end, Terrell Owens will make his millions, come and go, but you'll still be a fan. And when you're a fan, you're bigger than Terrell Owens.
Way' Nuff Let me start by saying I'd love to sticky this thread because of this post. In particular I want to point out the part where you talk about how much these people have "invested" in the Cowboys. That isn't just about money on merchanidse and tickets either. That's about stomach acid and sweat and time. I personally do not understand how anyone could think it is easy to walk away.

This kind of reaction would be happening on any message board for any team who was acquiring TO, but let's be honest, it is amplified here because of the star incident. He didn't do that in Washington or New York. He did it here and we as a fandom took it personal. That's understandable.

What isn't understandable to me is what you outlined above. The ship jumping attitude. I can't be anyone's conscience. That role was played by an animated cricket. I can't make anyone feel guilty for expressing those feelings. I will say that it is hard for me to respect those feelings and it has everything to do with that word, "investment."

George Teague is forever deified among Cowboys fans even though he wasn't a superstar. It has to do with "defending the star." Let me be perfectly honest. If Terrell Owens comes to the Dallas Cowboys and plays as hard as he is capable of doing that is exactly what he will be doing. He will be "defending the star."

Look, I don't like the guy, and the chances are pretty good I never will. I said something in a PM earlier this morning that I am going to repeat now. It was an eye opening experience for me that so many Eagles players spoke out about what a good teammate he is and attended his birthday bash.

Anyone who thinks we're getting the entire story of what this guy is about is deluding themselves. Someone that bad would alienate everyone. Everyone wasn't alienated folks. Quite a few stood up and were counted. Not role players either. Leaders on that team.

This guy knows it is his last chance. Screw up here and he's over. I'm hopeful he turns over the leaf. I won't be shocked if he's the same old prima donna drama queen. I'm not going to expect it either. That isn't fair to the man quite frankly.

A long time ago I had real long hair and someone at church offended me over a comment about my hair. I decided I was done. A man I respect very much came out to the car to talk to me and he said something I will never forget. He asked me if I felt the other man was a hypocrite. I said yes. He said, "if you let a hypocrite stand between you and God, you're admitting the hypocrite is closer to Him than you are."

So let me close this long winded diatribe with a twist on that advice.

If you would let Terrell Owens stand between you and the Dallas Cowboys, you're admitting he's more Dallas Cowboy than you will ever be.

Not a legacy I'd relish, but I can't see it any other way.

Dallas22

Reaction score
I agree 100% (even if you are a Skins fan :) LOL)... I dislike TO more than any other player EVER in NFL history, BUT he is now a Cowboys and that TRUMPS all the rest. I can't control who Jerry Jones signs, so all I can do is hope for the best. So if TO helps the Cowboys WIN games, then I will be cheering for him and the other 51 players on the Cowboys roster.

Whenever TO decides to whine, cry and complain about the Cowboys orginization or teammates, then it will be time for Jerry Jones to cut TO's ***. Hopefully the Cowboys paid him enough to keep TO's mouth shut for at least 2-3 years and have him produce like he has his entire career. Of course, I hope as well that TO does fantastic with the Cowboys and has a good time with his celebrations and such, BUT I just hope that TO holds on to the little bit of class he hopefully has left when he scores TDs for us and not disrespect opponents while in a Cowboys uniform.

We shall see what happens... certianly makes for an interesting season!!!

GO COWBOYS!!!

Dallas22

dcfanatic

Benched
Reaction score
I will always root for the Dallas Cowboys. I love the 'jersey', not the guys running around in them first and foremost.

But, this man has done things to hurt sports in general.

This signing shows little kids in this world that it's ok to be a bad teammate because in the end as long as your talented you will still have a place on the team.

That works in the money driven world of the NFL, but it won't work at the pee wee, junior high, high school and collegiate level. At that level you have to respect your coaches and your teammates or your just tossed off the squad.

So how many kids out there are now TO fans that will enter the next season talking trash, dissing guys on their team, telling the coach he ain't talking to the O-Coordinator and being a complete jackass in general?

These poor kids could blow their chance at even becoming an NFL player one day because they saw this ****** and thought that was the way to do it.

So I will still root for the Cowboys, but I won't root for Terrell Owens. I will root for #81 to score a TD and help the Cowboys win games.

The message of the original post was to say that you can't abandon your team because they signed a player no one else wanted. But I think your forgetting that to people with kids that this is more than just a game, it's a lesson in life about good and bad.

Some fans are just so outraged that the Dallas Cowboys are now just lumped in with the other 31 teams as just another franchise selling it's soul to the devil for a ring. I can understand the way they feel and I completely understand their reason for giving up on the Cowboys.

I myself, have given up on Coach Parcells. Ultimately it was his decision. He could have told Jerry that it's Me or TO. He didn't. He showed the world just how desperate he was to be a winner again.

First let me say this. I am in no way trying to spam this board. This topic is just so relevant to me right now.

ParcellsGuys.com was my site. I am no longer maintaining it and have put up a new site. I put up a disclaimer at that URL telling all the visitors about the way this whole TO saga has just left me completely disappointed in the Cowboys and Coach Parcells. Now I told you I love the Cowboys so there is no way I could ever root for another team, but as far as Coach Parcells the support is out the window.

Basically to all Dallas Cowboys fans the term 'different strokes for different stokes' applies. Some want TO because he makes the team better. Some don't want him because he may tear apart an already good team.

I guess we are all about to see how this plays out.

Qwickdraw

Benched
Reaction score
Way 'nuff said:
I haven't been around this board long, but I must say I've liked it. There are some great people on here. For the most part, the banter has been good.

Yeah, I'm a Skins fan, yeah, this isn't my house, but ever since this TO stuff broke, I can't help but notice what has come over some people on this board.

Don't confuse this with another TO thread because in my mind, this subject transcends him. This isn't a Skins fan talking to Cowboys fans...this is a football fan talking to other football fans.

I think most football fans can relate to each other in the sense that, most likely, you watched your favorite team when you were little all the way up until now, never wavering through the good times and the bad. I tip my hat to you Cowboys fans who stuck through the hard times when you were 1-15 (and yes, I KNOW who that one win came against...). As a Skins fan, up until this past year, the previous decade or so has been really lean, but I digress.

You probably grew up rushing home from church, sitting on the couch with your dad while he taught you about the game. You probably had a favorite player, collected all his football cards, tried to get his autograph whenever you could, always looked at his name in the box score, had all his stats memorized and cheered him on through the hard times as well. Even though you've grown up and that player is well on in age, you still see old pictures of him and get chills. He's still your hero, and deep down you're a little kid. Because after all this is a game, right? And games are for kids.

You probably sit on this site when you should be doing things that are more meaningful or more productive (like your job) and debate things ad nauseum. You've got jerseys, hats, sweatpants, sweatshirts, pictures, mugs, pint glasses, EVERYTHING with your teams logo on it, you have it. Your family members and loved ones try to understand and some of them don't get it and never will. But thats their problem, not yours.

In the offseason you devour every little tidbit of info you can get your hands on because if you're like me, you like other sports but nothing quenches your thirst like the NFL does. You analyze to death the FA moves you make, the draft picks you get, the coaches that come aboard...you go to the training camps, watch preseason games like you're a crackhead fiending for a hit all awaiting for the crescendo that is the kickoff on that first Sunday in September.

And some of you are going to throw all of that away because your team just signed a player you hate?

Listen, I'm not trying to tell people here what to do. Odds are that my rant here will just be glossed over and won't be taken seriously. People are going to do whatever they want regardless of what some ******* Commander fan is posting on a Cowboy message board.

All I'm saying is, to those who are seriously intending to ditch their allegiance to the Cowboys, think about all that you've invested in over the span of your life as a fan of the Cowboys. And you're really going to let Terrell Owens ruin the Cowboy Fan Experience for you?

Because, in the end, Terrell Owens will make his millions, come and go, but you'll still be a fan. And when you're a fan, you're bigger than Terrell Owens.
Very nice post.

But it's the reasons you describe that make signing T.O. such a tough thing to swallow.
My football team is sacred. I don't want to see it tainted by a jerk who has no respect for the fans, the league, the team, and it's players and coaches. I have too much invested.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
SkinsandTerps said:
In Commanders nation, everything is optimistic at this point.
Cowboys may have possibly stumbled on to something that everyone else has been trying to avoid. It will be interesting to watch it all unfold.

Stumbled?...I dont think so.... I am sure Danny would have made an attempt at Owens but KNEW that Jerry was already almost at the finish line on this one and Danny wasnt even out of the gate.

As soon as Jerry said "If we get Owens he can sleep on the star" it was clear to me... that NO ONE else was going to get Owens.

When Jerry wants he gets. As history has shown us.

BIGDen

Dr. Freakasaurus
Reaction score
Hostile said:
A long time ago I had real long hair and someone at church offended me over a comment about my hair. I decided I was done. A man I respect very much came out to the car to talk to me and he said something I will never forget. He asked me if I felt the other man was a hypocrite. I said yes. He said, "if you let a hypocrite stand between you and God, you're admitting the hypocrite is closer to Him than you are."

So let me close this long winded diatribe with a twist on that advice.

If you would let Terrell Owens stand between you and the Dallas Cowboys, you're admitting he's more Dallas Cowboy than you will ever be.

Not a legacy I'd relish, but I can't see it any other way.

Amen!:bow: Nice post Hos.

Kaika

Have a Good Day Pilgrims
Reaction score
Way 'nuff said:

Nice:thumbup:Your waaaaaaay to intellegent to be a Skins fan. What team do you really follow.;)

Way 'nuff

Reaction score
Wow, thanks fellas for the positive feedback! :) It was just something that I noticed in a few threads around here and it made me sad. No fan, no matter the team should give up their allegiance, ever, IMO...but like I said, I'm not here to try to tell people what to do...I just wanted to give my perspective.

dcfanatic said:
The message of the original post was to say that you can't abandon your team because they signed a player no one else wanted. But I think your forgetting that to people with kids that this is more than just a game, it's a lesson in life about good and bad.

I'm singling this out because I thought of this when I was writing the initial post, that TO sets a bad example for kids...and to be honest, I don't have kids...

Sometimes I think kids are smarter than we think they are. A lot of them probably know that TO brings a lot of negative stuff to the table. While they see him do all the dumb and negative things he's done/said, they're also listening to people rip on him left and right on the radio, tv and in the paper. I do believe they get both sides of the issue.

Anyway, I feel like a moron trying to advise a parent because I'm 24 and I don't have any kids...but if I had a kid, I'd use TO as an example as everything thats wrong with sports and just point out all the bad things that he's done. Find another Cowboy to praise and use an example of what is right with sports. Easier said than done, I know, but from what I can glean about raising kids, it isn't an easy job in many areas.

Like I said, thanks for the positive feedback, I do appreciate it! It was nice to wake up to this morning :)

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
Very well written.

Thank you.

I think Owens represents all the things that most people who have been long time NFL fans struggle with. Free agency, player movement. etc makes it occasionally difficult to be passionate about your team.

On offense...Drew Bledsoe, Terry Glenn, Terrell Owens, Jason Fabini, Marco Rivera, Bill Parcells....what on earth do these guys have to do with the Dallas Cowboys?

I recall Preston Pearson. At one time, he was the ONLY guy on the Cowboy roster who had played a game for another team.

So, geezlouise, have some patience you guys. Some of us are simply trying to adjust. This business of "your not a fan, go root for someone else" is ridiculous.

This is why I've been a strong advocate of Henson, less so of Romo but prefer both to Vinny and Bledsoe. If you look at the teams that have an identity in today's NFL, it's the teams who have been stable at the QB position.

I'd like to see that again in Dallas.

As far as Owens is concerned, I do think Parcells will manage him just fine. I don't think he'll behave for the long term but I'm wiling to extend benefit of the doubt.

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
Nice post, even for a skins fan :) Seriously, this in my judgement has been way over blown. What did he do that was so horrible? He stood on the star! He mock our team in our own house. Thats called showmanship, or hotdoging. The best way to counter that is to beat the team your playing, not hold personal grudge against one player.

I have to agree with Hostile too, we don't know the full story of what happened in Philly.

I remember growing up,, and loving my Cowboys. I didn't care that we had some players that were less than morally sound. They were Dallas Cowboys. And besides if you want to get personal, there are players that use drugs, beat their wives/children, rapist, murderers, and out right thugs all thru out the NFL. TO is a loud mouth hot dog. Big deal.

When Jerry bought the boys and did what he did to Landry, I was highly pissed, as were most cowboys fans. Not because we wanted to keep Landry, everyone knew his day had come and gone, but he built a legend that the world called the Dallas Cowboys. Butmost of us moved on with our new owner and in time have come to appreciate the way JJ works. I have not forgiven him over what he did to TOM and I never will. But I don't root for JJ every week, I root for MY DALLAS COWBOYS.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Way 'nuff said:

..yes, we all have to remember we are all fans of the game, then fans of the team, then fans of the players, coaches, owners, etc.

Your post hits on many universal truths about the responsibility of being an NFL fan. It isn't always sunny and bright and it isn't always cloudy and gray.

I think as I read your comments above, I sort of realized how much the game has changed since those first sunny days of first being bitten with the NFL Experience as a kid.

For me, that dates back to the Salesmanship Club Game in pre-season in '65. That was the first game my Dad took me to at the Cotton Bowl because he had bought 4 season tickets for the Cowboys and wanted to go to games and wasn't going to go alone.

So that's how it started for me. I learned to be a fan of the game from my Dad, as you mention.

And my Dad's roots as a fan came from when we were from Washington D.C. and he had lived and worked there most of his professional life in the government. I was born in D.C. but raised in Dallas after he retired and moved there.

I never knew it, but my roots as a fan came from my Dad's loyalty as a 'Skins fan. Dad had seen Sammy Baugh play for the 'Skins. Dad had seen Y.A. Tittle and the 72-0 rout of the Jints. He had seen Sam Huff rule the middle of the field. And he saw it live or listened on the radio as it was back then before TV took over.

He understood it all.

But despite his fierce loyalty as a 'Skins fan, he was more loyal to being a fan of the game. And if that meant supporting a lousy team like Dallas was going into the '65 season, then he changed his loyalty to the Cowboys and was determined to continue his romance with the game.

And that began it for me, too.

What I learned was that you cheer to the end. That winning was great but also admitting when the opponent was superior and the beating deserved. And that you remain loyal even though somethings don't always workout as planned.

But you don't leave the protection of being a fan of your team just because something happens you think is negative.

Being a fan invokes loyalty that will be tested. Loyalty that won't always be rewarded. And loyalty that requires patience over something which you have NO CONTROL OVER.

That's a big thing.

So 40 years later, I'm still a fan and a happy loyal fan. I've lived thru the Packer-Cowboy Championship losses of the 60's, the '70's and it's rewards, the 80's and it's frustrations and the 90's and being on top of the world with the Cowboys.

I've witnessed the horrible personnel decisions of the Rafiel Septiens and the Lance Rentzels, the Hollywood Hendersons and all the drug issues by members of this team from Tuinie to Irvin and countless more.

And there were times I was ready to Kill Don Meredith if he threw one more interception and Danny White if he choked one more time in an NFC Championship game.

But it passes and it heals and being a fan causes every emotion if you really love the game and on top of that, your team.

So I say to anybody concerned with TO coming to Dallas, learn from those of us who have pretty much seen it all, this is a blip on the radar and enjoy it for whatever success this provides the team and steel yourself for any disappointments, too.

That's your responsibility of being a fan. That comes with the territory. And it's a privilege to be able to share your passion with so many others who feel the same as you, all over the world, and especially here at the CowboysZone.

parcellswaterboy

jay cee

Reaction score
PacoReloaded said:
I personally wasn't a fan of Deion but the minute he signed with us and wore the star I welcomed him with open arms and supported and cheered for him each and every Sunday.. and although I don't like what TO has done in the past the minute it becomes official and he wears that star it will be no different that Deion.
I felt the same way about Deion, Paco. But I don't think I will about TO. But I have been a Cowboys fan for almost 35 years. I figure T.O. will be with the Cowboys for 2-3 years tops.

I can wait him out. Much like I did almost the entire decade of the '80's. :laugh2:

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
Way 'nuff said:

Good post and I look at you respectfully as a deadskin fan. I love other fans because if we all pulled for the same team, it would get pretty boring!

In regards to TO, if fans can leave the Dallas Cowboys over a player signing, then do we really want a fan like that in the Cowboy Family? I say a big fat "NO" we don't! :rolleyes:

jem88

Reaction score
SkinsandTerps said:
You cant be seriously making it this easy can you ? :laugh2:

Campbell is a bust ? After taking how many snaps last season can you deduce this opinion ? Gimme a break. I guess players like Rivers are already busts too.

Dallas indeed infused some youth on the defensive side of the ball that were positive signs. Do you want to discuss the offensive side of the ball ? Probably not.

No they arent done in the FA market ? Does that mean that their FA signings will be as good as last year ? You should hope for much better. I expect better.

Hmmm... Commanders signed a 1st round QB that they didnt throw to the wolves with 2 veteran QBs on the roster. Campbell was eased into his position and it will likely pay dividends.

Commanders draft. I would go over with you the players that the Commanders have gotten for their measly draft picks but it might confuse you. How shocked would you be if the Commanders moved into the first round this year ? I can tell you right now that I wouldnt be. If there is a player they want they do whatever they can to get said player.

Did the Commanders overpay, or did the Commanders set the market or did the Commanders ensure that they would get the targeted players that fit their schemes and pay them (maybe even overpay) to solidify that they would become part of the organization.
I agree with most of what you're saying. Just curious, what would you have thought of the Skins signing Antonio Bryant as a FA rather than trading for Brandon Lloyd? I think Bryant would've made a great Skin. Think of the chip on his shoulder when facing Dallas. Also, he'd have been a good complement to Moss.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
I don't disagree with your opinion....I can't stand anything that T.O. stands for, but I'm not going anywhere. I hate Bill Parcells and his fat, overrated NY Giants self much more than T.O., but I don't turn on my Cowboys on his account...he'll be gone soon enough, and I'll smile on that day.

On the other hand, "A Must Read" was a bit misleading, imo.

Tio

Armchair QB
Reaction score
While I apreciate the effort, I think you wasted your time. If some fan is gonna let this TO stuff destroy their loyalty, then I question that fans loyalty to begin with. Some fans still hate TO (as a person, I do) and hate JJ and BP for signing him, so they voice their opinions. They are still loyal to the cowboys.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Juke99 said:
Very well written.

Thank you.

I think Owens represents all the things that most people who have been long time NFL fans struggle with. Free agency, player movement. etc makes it occasionally difficult to be passionate about your team.

On offense...Drew Bledsoe, Terry Glenn, Terrell Owens, Jason Fabini, Marco Rivera, Bill Parcells....what on earth do these guys have to do with the Dallas Cowboys?

I recall Preston Pearson. At one time, he was the ONLY guy on the Cowboy roster who had played a game for another team.

So, geezlouise, have some patience you guys. Some of us are simply trying to adjust. This business of "your not a fan, go root for someone else" is ridiculous.

This is why I've been a strong advocate of Henson, less so of Romo but prefer both to Vinny and Bledsoe. If you look at the teams that have an identity in today's NFL, it's the teams who have been stable at the QB position.

I'd like to see that again in Dallas.

As far as Owens is concerned, I do think Parcells will manage him just fine. I don't think he'll behave for the long term but I'm wiling to extend benefit of the doubt.
My problem, Juke, is that even if T.O. is a model citizen throughout his contract in Dallas, and even if we win something with him and because of him, I'll still be a more subdued and quiet fan this season because I am indeed embarrassed at bringing in such a man, a man I have no respect for.

But I'm only one fan and the Cowboys are bigger than T.O. or the fatassed coach with the yellow hair :D

Ashwynn

Reaction score
Way 'nuff said:

So we should sacrifice or principles and morals just cause we are a fan of the game. Sometimes 1 person can be enough of an problem morally for another person so thats its impossible to root for the whole team now.

How do I tell my son the person I have been using as an example for whats wrong in America is now my favorite receiver for my favorite team.

I have seen HYPOCRITE thrown around here. In my mindI would be one if I did not do this. I really find terrell morally vacant and repugnant and he offends all sensibilities I have as a person.

Tell me how I justify rooting for him, to myself, let alone my son and my GOD.