A philosophy crossroads: Which one is better?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
And I like Dak, but I can't see paying him over 30 mil/season. Really not sure I would.
I agree . I certainly wouldn’t . I’ve argued a good place for Dak would be in the Foles and Flacco range contracts. Mid 20’s per year.

Verdict

Reaction score
Let me be very clear at the beginning: Talent matters in the NFL. You simply cannot win without it. The Cowboys in 2019 have likely gathered our most talented roster since the glory days of the 90s and expectations for this team should be high going into this season.

But talent alone is not enough. More importantly, I would argue you win a championship with talent that has been molded into a team by a talented, adaptable coaching staff. We all know TEAMS win championships.

With that said, I believe this organization is near a philosophy crossroads regarding its future not only for this year, but the next 5-7 years as well. Here are their choices:
  • 1. Become a “star centered” team built around 10 stars (mostly on offense plus DLaw) that take up about 70% of future cap space, leaving about 30% of cap space for the rest of the team, hopefully on rookie contracts. Upside of this is you keep your most talented players for longer periods. The downside to this is if the injury bug hits many of your stars, you’re probably in trouble because there is less cap space for quality depth.
  • 2. Become a balanced team that is mostly built around a few stars (maybe 5) along with a lot young talent on rookie deals. No more than approximately 50% of cap space is dedicated to stars on either side of the ball. The upside of this is you hang onto a few of your best players while also being able to mix in a few FAs for depth. The downside of this you can’t keep as many of your stars as you might want.
So which philosophy would you choose? Either philosophy can work. And coaching is of course a huge part of any NFL team's success. There are good arguments for both.

I would probably choose option 2 because I think it’s a more sustainable philosophy going forward. You would have to make some very tough decisions about who to let walk. But it also means we probably need a better HC. The problem with the option 1 star system IMO is it locks you down with less flexibility to build a strong roster.

If the FO chooses option 1, it may signal it believes this is a “win now” moment and that Garrett can’t win without having a bigger star base of talent.

Which philosophy would you choose? Or is there another you believe we can have?

Option 2, and it’s not even close. They are going to have to let someone walk or get traded. Mostly out of these guys: L. Collins, Byron, Zeke, Dak, and the like. I don’t think it will be Dak (but contract demands could change that). The most likely options were Byron, Collins or Tank, but Tank is a done deal now.

I sure as hell hope we don’t rue the Tank deal.

Verdict

Reaction score
I think i would offer Dak $30M per year for 4 years with all of it guaranteed.

NextGenBoys

Reaction score
Option 2, and it’s not even close. They are going to have to let someone walk or get traded. Mostly out of these guys: L. Collins, Byron, Zeke, Dak, and the like. I don’t think it will be Dak (but contract demands could change that). The most likely options were Byron, Collins or Tank, but Tank is a done deal now.

I sure as hell hope we don’t rue the Tank deal.

I'd rather have a 2way Dline than a RB. Byron needs to take the ball away if he wants mega bucks. But overall I agree we have to start letting players walk, or trade them for picks

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Since he spends the same amount as all franchises, how is he a cheapskate?
I’m sorry you don’t get the Pun. It’s about getting cheap with some players.

Ones you’d probably agree with him on getting cheap with. lol

Big Daddy and Cheapskate Son are my two new nicknames . Do you like the Football Idiot and Son better? :)