A philosophy crossroads: Which one is better?

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
But Idgit, you know how this place works better than anyone. Once someone goes south on a coach or player, that's it. If they won it all this season, Garrett would not get the credit and I've seen some asking if we win it all, can he still get fired.

Technically, he can't be fired after this season as he will not be under contract but for some to say he could never win it all is ludicrous. Yes, he's made some mistakes in game management in the past but any HC that can pull the team out of that 3-5 nosedive to win the East, and 3 of the last 5 seasons, gets my attention.

Man, if posters are going to place blame, they should give credit when it's earned and I've never seen so many focused on the last loss and not what happened during the season. But I am not a SB or bust fan so there is that. I am also not entitled, the past is the past.
Well, if you insist on being reasonable...:clap:
give the devil his due. I do have to admire Garrett for sticking to his principles. Lesser men would have left or gotten lost in desperation. Just hope he can tie it all together.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Coaching is simply not an asset or strength that our ownership will allow as Big Daddy Jerry wants more credit for being a Football Guy.

Unless we totally collapse needing a boost in revenue or support to build a new stadium, Jerry only wants to win his way. This is it Cowboy fans. Probably as good as it’s going to get with someone like Garrett. The Perfect Puppet. Just add talent.

He tried winning back to back championships but didn’t like someone else getting more credit. There really isn’t enough room in Big D for an Ego bigger than our own in house Football Idiot.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
we have out best group of coordinators and asst. coaches that we've had in a long time. however, that does not extend to the head coach. I mean no offense to anyone. just the way I see it.
You are assuming Kitna and Moore are automatic upgrades? They're both unknowns but Kitna is well versed in the spin Booger wants coming out.

I do not know how good Kellen the Young will be but I am expecting some real bumps since he's inexperienced and facing some experienced DC's but it will come down to the same thing it did for Linehan, execution. Amazing how much better an OC is when his plays actually get executed as practiced.

I found myself asking "who in the hell is calling these plays"? But upon further review, I began to ask "who in the hell is executing these plays"? I would hope Kellen the Young would not call those plays where the QB and RB each had 6 fumbles last season. Bad calls, really bad calls.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
give the devil his due. I do have to admire Garrett for sticking to his principles. Lesser men would have left or gotten lost in desperation. Just hope he can tie it all together.
I’m not sure it can become better than this with Jerry’s personal agendas. We’ve had greater coaches this era who couldn’t coexist with Jerry’s ways and had no more success.

If you like the kinda of team we have assembled and culture created I believe Garrett deserves credit for his influence over the Beast.

That doesn’t mean he’s a great HC. Just good for our dysfunctional situation. Like a walk around GM who isn’t going to steal the thunder from Big Daddy.

dallasdave

Reaction score
I liked Landry's teams with Meredith, Lily, Hayes, Pearson, Cornell Green, Nate Newton, Capt America, Dorsett, Irvin, Too Tall, Harvey, Woodsen, et al, (whew, the list is endless) but the 90's Cowboys were the best overall collection of talent and success.
May the brand live on!
Go Cowboys!!
Yeah I grew up with Landry but love Jimmy Johnson more :):welcome:
When I think back Duane Thomas, Calvin Hill, Roger, Drew, and Bob Lilly :bow: all greats, but still like the 90Cowboys more.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Coaching is simply not an asset or strength that our ownership will allow as Big Daddy Jerry wants more credit for being a Football Guy.

Unless we totally collapse needing a boost in revenue or support to build a new stadium, Jerry only wants to win his way. This is it Cowboy fans. Probably as good as it’s going to get with someone like Garrett. The Perfect Puppet. Just add talent.

He tried winning back to back championships but didn’t like someone else getting more credit. There really isn’t enough room in Big D for an Ego bigger than our own in house Football Idiot.
That is about it. Hard to succeed with an overlord.

cern

Reaction score
You are assuming Kitna and Moore are automatic upgrades? They're both unknowns but Kitna is well versed in the spin Booger wants coming out.

I do not know how good Kellen the Young will be but I am expecting some real bumps since he's inexperienced and facing some experienced DC's but it will come down to the same thing it did for Linehan, execution. Amazing how much better an OC is when his plays actually get executed as practiced.

I found myself asking "who in the hell is calling these plays"? But upon further review, I began to ask "who in the hell is executing these plays"? I would hope Kellen the Young would not call those plays where the QB and RB each had 6 fumbles last season. Bad calls, really bad calls.
kris Richard immediately made the d-backs better, even after entirely replacing the starting 4. ben bloom immediately made the lb's better. sanjay lal made our receivers better. our te's improved for the first time in years. so I see no reason to be negative about Kellen even though I haven't seen him do the job yet. imo, it comes down to who makes the judgement call on the coaches and I think that is Stephen. he's a lot better than whoever was responsible in the past.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I’m not sure it can become better than this with Jerry’s personal agendas. We’ve had greater coaches this era who couldn’t coexist with Jerry’s ways and had no more success.

If you like the kinda of team we have assembled and culture created I believe Garrett deserves credit for his influence over the Beast.

That doesn’t mean he’s a great HC. Just good for our dysfunctional situation. Like a walk around GM who isn’t going to steal the thunder from Big Daddy.
It is what it is, sadly.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I do not think he's in the top tier of coaching but that is a very small fraternity and 6-9 of these guys get the ax every season so I assume that's one tough job.

I do blame him for that playoff loss to GB because the other team was prepared and his too relaxed, as if they were a "flip the switch' team. He learned nothing from Phillips gaffe when he had homefield throughout. I do not blame him for that LA loss. They played a better team than they were.

When I look at Garrett, I don't just see him but what could be in his place. That's why I am not so quick to say get rid of him. If posters don't think we could do worse, take a look backwards. There's your proof.

I lean to Greg's side in this because Garrett is that guy that dances with the devil in the pale moonlight and understands how to best deal with him. I do think he has a large part in this change in thinking in the draft and he and McClay are in the same book, if not on the same page. I think it is more Garrett than Booger that is trying to replicate that team of the 90's.

This talk about Payton and Riley waiting in the wings. Posters should take a really long look at the design of their teams and pay particular attention to their D's and dependence on QB play. And If they're not happy with sideline Garrett during games, they need to watch Payton at the end of that NFCCG, he lost that game and how in the hell he slides by that, I don't know. He's lucky that missed call was such a deal because he blew that game.

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
ever-danced-with-the-devil-in-the-pale-moonlight-4125882.png.cf.png

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
kris Richard immediately made the d-backs better, even after entirely replacing the starting 4. ben bloom immediately made the lb's better. sanjay lal made our receivers better. our te's improved for the first time in years. so I see no reason to be negative about Kellen even though I haven't seen him do the job yet. imo, it comes down to who makes the judgement call on the coaches and I think that is Stephen. he's a lot better than whoever was responsible in the past.
We can just agree to disagree on that. Wasn't Lal there when they went into the season? Bloom got a talent upgrade and the Cowboys ranked 13th is pass D and 25th in picks and I do not get the Richard love. I am not saying it's a bad staff but I really don't see a large margin of difference in coaching as I do in execution and talent. All of these guys read from the same book.

You are a big proponent of the son and I am just the opposite but that's cool, I still love ya.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
So, we can blame Cheapskate Son now for our ownership agendas. Stephen doesn’t want a normal coaching staff without a puppet for HC and staff he doesn’t hire himself?

Or do we only blame Big Daddy for the bad stuff and credit Son for the good stuff? No agendas there. Lol

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I do not think he's in the top tier of coaching but that is a very small fraternity and 6-9 of these guys get the ax every season so I assume that's one tough job.

I do blame him for that playoff loss to GB because the other team was prepared and his too relaxed, as if they were a "flip the switch' team. He learned nothing from Phillips gaffe when he had homefield throughout. I do not blame him for that LA loss. They played a better team than they were.

When I look at Garrett, I don't just see him but what could be in his place. That's why I am not so quick to say get rid of him. If posters don't think we could do worse, take a look backwards. There's your proof.

I lean to Greg's side in this because Garrett is that guy that dances with the devil in the pale moonlight and understands how to best deal with him. I do think he has a large part in this change in thinking in the draft and he and McClay are in the same book, if not on the same page. I think it is more Garrett than Booger that is trying to replicate that team of the 90's.

This talk about Payton and Riley waiting in the wings. Posters should take a really long look at the design of their teams and pay particular attention to their D's and dependence on QB play. And If they're not happy with sideline Garrett during games, they need to watch Payton at the end of that NFCCG, he lost that game and how is the hell he slides by that, I don't know. He's lucky that missed call because such a deal because he blew that game.
Or Pete Carroll's gaffe against New England? Yeef.
The grass is always greener on the other side under duress. We should be careful what we wish for.
Garrett has his faults, and he looks like he doesn't learn from them at critical times. That's what divides the best from the rest.
I'm hoping he is progressing, but unless he gets more aggressive and insightful, he will just be the runner up.
Never thought about who might be trying to replicate the Johnson years, but it might be. Perhaps he has magical thinking syndrome, and is waiting for the deus ex machina moment of glory.
He looked like he was the heir apparent to Landry and Johnson, and then it all fell apart. He had some tutoring in Miami, but was it the right kind? With someone like Jones as his boss, it's hard to know if it's chicken or egg to blame. Maybe both.
He has succeeded more lately with 3 division titles, but that may be his ceiling. If they had won the GB game, would he have faltered in the next game?
Maybe he and McClay can divine a new focus.
Stay tuned sports fans!