A Romo trade idea?

Bigdog

Reaction score
A friend of mine who is a huge Niners fan was talking to me about Romo and proposed this trade idea after the season. He said what if the Niners gave the Cowboys a 2nd and 3rd pick in next years draft and take on Romo's salary. He said the Niners front office needs to convince the fan base that they are trying to win. I would do that trade in a heartbeat and told him that it seemed like it would be an uneven trade for the Cowboys. He said that the Niners are desperate for something. Question is would everyone else make that trade?

Reaction score
think it would be a steal for us considering his age, salary and injury history. Even though I'm a supporter of keeping Dak as the starter, seeing Romo on another team would be rough...........even more so than Emmitt

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think DEN makes the most sense, being in the AFC and having the connections to Wade and Ware and etc. He makes them an instant contender. Tony's the kind of guy who'd probably redo his deal for the chance to compete, too, if the Cowboys could get him to the situation he wants to be in anyway.

As for compensation, I think a 2nd from a potentially contending team that could escalate based on team incentives makes good sense. It's not much to give up for 2-3 years of good QB play as DEN found out when they brought in Manning, and it's not so much that you take a hit you can't recover from if you miss. Especially if he reworks his deal a little bit. There'd be multiple teams in line for a shot at Romo if the price were right.

Last edited:

65fastback2plus2

Reaction score
I think DEN makes the most sense, being in the NFC and having the connections to Wade and Ware and etc. He makes them an instant contender. Tony's the kind of guy who'd probably redo his deal for the chance to compete, too, if the Cowboys could get him to the situation he wants to be in anyway.

As for compensation, I think a 2nd from a potentially contending team that could escalate based on team incentives makes good sense. It's not much to give up for 2-3 years of good QB play as DEN found out when they brought in Manning, and it's not so much that you take a hit you can't recover from if you miss. Especially if he reworks his deal a little bit. There'd be multiple teams in line for a shot at Romo if the price were right.

If that happens, I'll cry...until he gets his ring like ware, then i'll cry some more lol

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
A friend of mine who is a huge Niners fan was talking to me about Romo and proposed this trade idea after the season. He said what if the Niners gave the Cowboys a 2nd and 3rd pick in next years draft and take on Romo's salary. He said the Niners front office needs to convince the fan base that they are trying to win. I would do that trade in a heartbeat and told him that it seemed like it would be an uneven trade for the Cowboys. He said that the Niners are desperate for something. Question is would everyone else make that trade?
The compensation make sense to me. I think it would most likely be a 2017 2nd and a 2018 3rd.

49ers are a possibility but right now I would have the Jets as the most likely. We want the Browns to be interested as they have the most draft capitol. With Kessler I don't know that they will

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I think DEN makes the most sense, being in the NFC and having the connections to Wade and Ware and etc. He makes them an instant contender. Tony's the kind of guy who'd probably redo his deal for the chance to compete, too, if the Cowboys could get him to the situation he wants to be in anyway.

I dont think Denver goes that route after drafting Lynch in the first and with Siemian playing reasonably well. I think there is a good chance Lynch is there starter next year. He has real potential when he has played in both preseason and the regular. He has holes too but I think he is sound enough right now to start or at least will be by next season.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Buffalo is also a real wildcard. They can get out of Taylor's deal after the season.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I dont think Denver goes that route after drafting Lynch in the first and with Siemian playing reasonably well. I think there is a good chance Lynch is there starter next year. He has real potential when he has played in both preseason and the regular. He has holes too but I think he is sound enough right now to start or at least will be by next season.

Not so sure about that. DEN's built to compete right now. For a relatively low #2, they can get 2 years of top QB play out of Romo and develop Lynch in the background. The same exact thing they did with Osweiler which, on the surface might seem like a mistake, but in retrospect you'd have to think they were pretty happy to do.

There's no way Tony'd re-do his deal to go to the Jets or 49ers right now. If he goes anywhere, it's to a contender. Otherwise, he just holds out, we release him, and he can pick his spot that way. DEN, MIN, LA, MIA...there are better options out there for him if he wants to make a run.

Or, he can sit tight in Dallas as a backup, redo his deal a bit and make it a lot more incentive rich, raise his kids, baby his back, and ride the snake to the postseason if anything ever happens to Dak. Who knows? I'd think he wants to play while he can, but with his injury history, it has to be for a contender who needs a veteran QB. Failing that, a backup gig where he is and where he has a home and likes the team is not the worst practical option for him, honestly.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Not so sure about that. DEN's built to compete right now. For a relatively low #2, they can get 2 years of top QB play out of Romo and develop Lynch in the background. The same exact thing they did with Osweiler which, on the surface might seem like a mistake, but in retrospect you'd have to think they were pretty happy to do.

There's no way Tony'd re-do his deal to go to the Jets or 49ers right now. If he goes anywhere, it's to a contender. Otherwise, he just holds out, we release him, and he can pick his spot that way. DEN, MIN, LA, MIA...there are better options out there for him if he wants to make a run.

Or, he can sit tight in Dallas as a backup, redo his deal a bit and make it a lot more incentive rich, raise his kids, baby his back, and ride the snake to the postseason if anything ever happens to Dak. Who knows? I'd think he wants to play while he can, but with his injury history, it has to be for a contender who needs a veteran QB. Failing that, a backup gig where he is and where he has a home and likes the team is not the worst practical option for him, honestly.
I think Romo's deal would have to be redone for him to be traded. From what ive read his contract is very tradeable for us and cheap for whoever takes in on in relation to other QB's

DFWJC

Reaction score
I think DEN makes the most sense, being in the AFC and having the connections to Wade and Ware and etc. He makes them an instant contender. Tony's the kind of guy who'd probably redo his deal for the chance to compete, too, if the Cowboys could get him to the situation he wants to be in anyway.

They do make sense.
They just spent a 1st rounder on a QB who they see as having great promise after he sits a year or so.
And have another one that they like who's starting.

But yes. Give him that defense and all of those weapons--nirvana.

Last edited by a moderator:

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They do make sense.
They just spent a 1st rounder on a QB who they see as having great promise after he sits a year or so.
And have another one that they like who's starting.

But yes. Give him that defense and all of those weapons--nirvana.

Yeah, they have options they like. But it's tough to see them coming out of the AFC again without upgrading that spot. They'd remain a contender, but not a very serious one. Especially with OAK and KC both having improving teams. An escalating 2nd is a lot to cough up for a two year rental, but if Tony's right, he's a massive upgrade over Lynch/Siemian. If the condition on the pick is the AFC title game escalating to a first rounder, for example, that's something I don't see them getting another way in the short term. Considering what MIN gave up when they thought they had a contender before the season even started, there's a precedent for it. It just sort of makes sense for everybody.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Yeah, they have options they like. But it's tough to see them coming out of the AFC again without upgrading that spot. They'd remain a contender, but not a very serious one. Especially with OAK and KC both having improving teams. An escalating 2nd is a lot to cough up for a two year rental, but if Tony's right, he's a massive upgrade over Lynch/Siemian. If the condition on the pick is the AFC title game escalating to a first rounder, for example, that's something I don't see them getting another way in the short term. Considering what MIN gave up when they thought they had a contender before the season even started, there's a precedent for it. It just sort of makes sense for everybody.
I think Denver would have to offer their first, dont know that they would do that for Romo. NY, SF, and maybe even Cleveland would be likely be willing to give up high second rounders for Romo

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think Denver would have to offer their first, dont know that they would do that for Romo. NY, SF, and maybe even Cleveland would be likely be willing to give up high second rounders for Romo

It's one of those things where Tony takes a money hit, Jerry takes a compensation hit to put him in the right place. And then only if Tony comes and asks you to do it. I don't see any way Jerry trades Tony to a team that doesn't contend or where Tony doesn't want to go. He'd release him first. And I can't imagine Tony going to a team like the Jets or the 49ers with his age and injury history.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
It's one of those things where Tony takes a money hit, Jerry takes a compensation hit to put him in the right place. And then only if Tony comes and asks you to do it. I don't see any way Jerry trades Tony to a team that doesn't contend or where Tony doesn't want to go. He'd release him first. And I can't imagine Tony going to a team like the Jets or the 49ers with his age and injury history.
You could be right, but I see Jones acting in the best interest of the team. If he is doing that he is taking the max comp he can.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I personally see Romo's trade value similar to what McNabb got traded for. A 2nd round pick and a day 2 pick the following year. A late first is a possibility given the need for QB's but I dont see it as likely. Teams really value that 5th year.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You could be right, but I see Jones acting in the best interest of the team. If he is doing that he is taking the max comp he can.

That's what I think he does. Get's the short list from Tony, and then shops that to get a deal. With a big preference for the AFC, if Tony doesn't do that part for him.

I hate to see Tony go out like this, btw. Almost (but not quite) enough to secretly root for a late-season groin pull from Dak. They way everybody seems to be handling it, too, makes me just like the whole team that much more.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
That's what I think he does. Get's the short list from Tony, and then shops that to get a deal. With a big preference for the AFC, if Tony doesn't do that part for him.

I hate to see Tony go out like this, btw. Almost (but not quite) enough to secretly root for a late-season groin pull from Dak. They way everybody seems to be handling it, too, makes me just like the whole team that much more.
I think that will seriously limit Jones options. The teams most willing to trade for him are places that most likely wont be on his list. If a team like Denver knows they are the only horse in the race, I see us getting lowballed. I frankly dont see Jones acting in Romo's best interest. Nor do I think he should. I dont really think Romo would have much issue with that either. He is a pro and understands the buisness of it. I dont see him making an issues of being a Jet, 49er or Bill