A Romo trade idea?

endersdragon

Reaction score
Two teams, Buffalo and NY I think become 11 win teams if Romo is under a full season. Both have alot offensive weapons. Buffalo has a better OL, but the Jets have a more experienced WR corpse and more talent on defense
Even Miami with Romo could be scary, but they just gave so much to Tannihill that it's doubtful they would ever pay for Romo.

Elusive6thRing

Reaction score
Teams need to learn to stop being desperate and giving out ridiculous money for bad quarterbacks such as Brock Osweiler and Ryan Tannihill. It'd be better to just find a one year QB because you never know who might be available later. If the Texans just went with Hoyer this year they might have Romo next year. Stupid mistakes kill team's chances of winning.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Even Miami with Romo could be scary, but they just gave so much to Tannihill that it's doubtful they would ever pay for Romo.
Ya Miami is pretty much out. I think NY is OUR best option because I think we get a high second from

Buffalo IMO is Romos best option. Good OL, good skill players. They can protect a QB like Romo and they are run intensive so he has the best option to play 16 and even 2 more years. With Romo playing 16 games they could win 11-12.

Denver gets talked up alot, but I Romo would have to carry that offense. The defense also lost alot of talent last offseason and could lose Ware this offseason. Denver could be trending down

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
Ya Miami is pretty much out. I think NY is OUR best option because I think we get a high second from

Buffalo IMO is Romos best option. Good OL, good skill players. They can protect a QB like Romo and they are run intensive so he has the best option to play 16 and even 2 more years. With Romo playing 16 games they could win 11-12.

Denver gets talked up alot, but I Romo would have to carry that offense. The defense also lost alot of talent last offseason and could lose Ware this offseason. Denver could be trending down

If we trade or release Romo in 2017, our cap hit will still be $19 mill. So a high second isn't enough. It has to be at least a 1st to even consider. Because we still will have the cap hit. Romo will be our backup next year. Every team needs a competent backup. In 2018, then we can trade or release him.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
If we trade or release Romo in 2017, our cap hit will still be $19 mill. So a high second isn't enough. It has to be at least a 1st to even consider. Because we still will have the cap hit. Romo will be our backup next year. Every team needs a competent backup. In 2018, then we can trade or release him.

So that's the number to keep in mind -- $19.6 million. But here's another way to look at it:

Romo's salary-cap hit is $24.7 million for next season. If he is traded or released, the club frees up $5.1 million it wouldn't have otherwise.
http://sportsday.***BANNED-URL***/d...ranch-report-implications-tony-romos-contract

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
I think Denver makes the most sense because a quality QB makes them an even better team and they're in the AFC. I think it makes more sense that they trade Romo out of conference, if that's what they indeed decide to do.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not so sure about that. DEN's built to compete right now. For a relatively low #2, they can get 2 years of top QB play out of Romo and develop Lynch in the background. The same exact thing they did with Osweiler which, on the surface might seem like a mistake, but in retrospect you'd have to think they were pretty happy to do.

There's no way Tony'd re-do his deal to go to the Jets or 49ers right now. If he goes anywhere, it's to a contender. Otherwise, he just holds out, we release him, and he can pick his spot that way. DEN, MIN, LA, MIA...there are better options out there for him if he wants to make a run.

Or, he can sit tight in Dallas as a backup, redo his deal a bit and make it a lot more incentive rich, raise his kids, baby his back, and ride the snake to the postseason if anything ever happens to Dak. Who knows? I'd think he wants to play while he can, but with his injury history, it has to be for a contender who needs a veteran QB. Failing that, a backup gig where he is and where he has a home and likes the team is not the worst practical option for him, honestly.
Why would he need to redo his deal in order to be traded?

The Cowboys could convert his 2017 base salary of 14M to a 1M salary and 13M roster bonus due in August.

The team trading for him would have a 1M cap hit in March and could either pay the roster bonus in August and bump their cap up by 13M or they could make it signing bonus and prorate it over his contract to keep the cap hit low in 2017.