A simple message for Cowboys players working on their personal brand

GMO415

Reaction score
Here’s the message: When the team wins, so does your brand. Nothing sells YOU like being on team that wins a bunch of playoff games. The social media profile or podcast of a champion always gets more eyeballs and cash.

I have no problem with any player being on social media, having a podcast, putting themselves out there through advertising. They should take advantage of their profitability while they can. But nothing sells like winning a championship.
BULLET!
How are these kids supposed to learn this lesson, when they are getting paid millions in college before they ever win anything? No matter the final score they will get paid.

Praxit

Reaction score
Maybe, maybe not. Some people are just wired to hate losing and want to win no matter what. They'll fight and claw their way to victory. I didn't see any of that against Green Bay from the Cowboys.
..think about it. Mahomes won his 1st SB at 24 yrs old. Still the kid, kept it together.

signed lucrative contract. Didnt go nuts with media stunts, none that I heard of.

Some Dallas players *cough..cough*.. Have won chips and salsa, are going on air, with their shows..lol... Its maniacal bizzare...

Sheepherder

Reaction score
I hear ya but that's like telling teenage boys to stop thinking about girls.

These guys practically live in social media. Superbowl wins are nice n all but clicks and likes are their daily pĺ

BULLET!
How are these kids supposed to learn this lesson, when they are getting paid millions in college before they ever win anything? No matter the final score they will get paid.
It's really a sad situation for this once proud franchise. The way they came out and played against Green Bay at home was sickening and disgusting to any real fan. No excuse for it.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
LOL, LOL That Packer loss left a scar....didn't it? Imagine how different things would be today if we had won...lol

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Maybe, maybe not. Some people are just wired to hate losing and want to win no matter what. They'll fight and claw their way to victory. I didn't see any of that against Green Bay from the Cowboys.
Ferguson and a few others.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Here’s the message: When the team wins, so does your brand. Nothing sells YOU like being on team that wins a bunch of playoff games. The social media profile or podcast of a champion always gets more eyeballs and cash.

I have no problem with any player being on social media, having a podcast, putting themselves out there through advertising. They should take advantage of their profitability while they can. But nothing sells like winning a championship.
The Cowboys don’t put winning before brand, so why should the players???

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
LOL, LOL That Packer loss left a scar....didn't it? Imagine how different things would be today if we had won...lol
Yep, that game was one of those losses you see in pro sports from time to time that is so embarrassing that you literally question if the team, as currently constructed, can recover.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

That line of thinking was true when we were young, but it has grown outdated now.

The internet has always been driven by the younger generation, but there is a big difference between today's younger generation and those from 10-20 years ago.

Today's younger generation has grown up with constant internet content, services and platforms available.

With everyone having smartphones, platforms like Youtube, Instagram, Twitch, TikTok, etc. have made it possible for any and everyone to get global exposure with a few clicks.

When it comes to athletes, brands are no longer about teams, wins, trophies or achievements, but simply popularity, and that can come in many forms.

The primary reason Parsons has a podcast is the same reason many athletes have one and that is to promote themselves (aka "their brand") every day throughout the year, not just on game days.

While it's easy for the older generation to dismiss or denigrate the younger generation for their way of thinking, if we had grown up in the same environment we would have likely done the exact same thing.

To be clear, I am not saying it's a good or bad thing, but rather it's simply not the same as it was in the past.

While it is still true that individual athlete brands benefit from on-field success, the days of it being necessary or a requirement for branding success are fading if not already gone.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
That line of thinking was true when we were young, but it has grown outdated now.

The internet has always been driven by the younger generation, but there is a big difference between today's younger generation and those from 10-20 years ago.

Today's younger generation has grown up with constant internet content, services and platforms available.

With everyone having smartphones, platforms like Youtube, Instagram, Twitch, TikTok, etc. have made it possible for any and everyone to get global exposure with a few clicks.

When it comes to athletes, brands are no longer about teams, wins, trophies or achievements, but simply popularity, and that can come in many forms.

The primary reason Parsons has a podcast is the same reason many athletes have one and that is to promote themselves (aka "their brand") every day throughout the year, not just on game days.

While it's easy for the older generation to dismiss or denigrate the younger generation for their way of thinking, if we had grown up in the same environment we would have likely done the exact same thing.

To be clear, I am not saying it's a good or bad thing, but rather it's simply not the same as it was in the past.

While it is still true that individual athlete brands benefit from on-field success, the days of it being necessary or a requirement for branding success are fading if not already gone.
Great post Reality.

Just like the Cowboys being the most valuable franchise in the world without winning anything in the past 30 years, the same goes for the players.

Winning is not needed for players to promote themselves and turn that popularity into generational wealth.

Truth is Parsons could play his entire career on a doormat team and as long as he keeps putting up 10-15 sacks a year he will make more money than he could spend in 5 lifetimes.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

To be clear, I am not saying it's a good thing, but rather it's simply not the same as it was in the past.

I don’t disagree with any of the above. As I stated earlier, I have no problem with any player’s use of social media to further their brand.

But I still believe the players with the biggest brands are the ones winning on the biggest stage. Pat Mahomes probably isn’t doing State Farm commercials without a SB ring. Tom Brady made his huge brand on the field.

Again, I have no problem with players being on social media. It’s just that winning in big games speaks louder than anything else. That is what makes their brand the biggest on whatever social media platform is being used.

DandyDon52

Reaction score

get all the players twitter urls or handles, send this to all of them. I would like to have all the handles, I tried with michah but it was confusing

Diehardblues

Reaction score

No doubt nothing sells like winning a championship. But players don’t ultimately have a hand in building teams . But they can build their brand.

I’m assuming you’re referencing Parsons. Which on many fronts I agree. But the media and fans need to also own they placed him on this pedestal. The next LT, the best defensive player in the league , etc. This wasn’t all of his doing.

As always I try to provide a balance and or play devil’s advocate if I feel the message is becoming too slanted in one direction.

It has to be frustrating for him to be with an organization so inept at addressing our weaknesses and greatest concerns . I’d like to believe he’d like nothing more and do whatever is within his power to win a championship.

And if this is truly his ultimate passion beyond his own personal brand then perhaps he is looking to bolt to a franchise more serious about winning championship. And who could blame him.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score

priorities are backwards, get a little fame, get more fame acting like you know what you're talking about, forget about the big picture which is WINNING. At the end they realize they're going to receive criticism for everything they do when they're trying to increase their brand. Everything they say can and will be used against them!!!!!!!!!!!

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I don’t disagree with any of the above. As I stated earlier, I have no problem with any player’s use of social media to further their brand.

But I still believe the players with the biggest brands are the ones winning on the biggest stage. Pat Mahomes probably isn’t doing State Farm commercials without a SB ring. Tom Brady made his huge brand on the field.

Again, I have no problem with players being on social media. It’s just that winning in big games speaks louder than anything else. That is what makes their brand the biggest on whatever social media platform is being used.
How much control does Parsons have in building a championship team?

Should that prevent him from optimizing the hype and platform which has been provided to him with his outstanding performances?

Instead we should perhaps applaud having one of the greatest players in the league on a non championship caliber team.

I think sometimes we need to be careful with our frustration of not winning championships and try to not hold our greatest players to a bar which isn’t being set by our franchise .

I’d like to think we are closer to becoming a championship caliber team with talents like Parsons.

Flamma

Reaction score

I don't think winning matters like that anymore. If you can't win, flash stats. That's just as good for your brand as winning.

Diehardblues

Reaction score

All of the greatest players aren’t on championship teams . I’m not sure they should hold back on building their brand on lesser teams .

It’s a given that winning championships is what maximizes your personal brand . But what about the greatest who don’t have the privilege of being a part of a championship team.

Parsons isn’t the QB. He doesn’t have as much control in the teams success like a Mahomes. This isn’t like Dak is trying to build his brand despite the lack of more success in the playoffs.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I don't think winning matters like that anymore. If you can't win, flash stats. That's just as good for your brand as winning.
Jethro has definitely defined how building on your brand translates to success off the field despite not having more success on the field .

It’s a little different for players but the same rule can apply.

How frustrating it must be for one of the greatest talents in the league to be on a franchise not as committed to winning championships . Building his own brand is all he has left.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
At this point in time, it's evidently likely that the players have become aware of the unlikeliness of being legitimate SB candidates. They content themselves with being considered as regular season winners and not legitimate contenders for SB glory. What else can they do, when they haven't reached the Super Bowl level in what may well be going on three decades now. The powers that be in the Cowboys FO surely seem content to keep polishing their brand, rather than their SB championship winning ways.