A simple message for Cowboys players working on their personal brand

Praxit

Reaction score
LOL, LOL That Packer loss left a scar....didn't it? Imagine how different things would be today if we had won...lol
..yep, no doubt. McCarthy's legacy was cemented with that one.

Had we won, just that one game, .....and lost the following week. The uprising wouldn't have been so bad.

Old'Boyfan

Reaction score
It been said since I can remember that a team takes on the personality of its head coach.

In this case thats Jerry Jones per his design. I don’t at all ever expect any player that comes here to put winning over their brand, even if they felt that way before they were drafted.

They learn quickly that on the field success doesn’t much matter. You’re a Dallas Cowboy….you’ve already won.

It’s going to take some major happenings for that to ever change.
This.
And not likely to change in our lifetime. Or at least my lifetime.

Praxit

Reaction score
Their personal brand is all some players care about. It was never like that when the team was winning championships.
...it's like the players can read the writing on the wall in Dallas. They dont win championships anymore.

They just create hype and make money.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
...it's like the players can read the writing on the wall in Dallas. They dont win championships anymore.

They just create hype and make money.
They don’t need to win championships to sell their personal brand. DLaw was all smiles no long after the playoff loss to Green Bay promoting some protein drink or something on NFL Network. He was talking about how much protein in your diet you need. Apparently the team didn’t have enough protein before the Packers game. He said the team was tired. The Packers were traveling and we were tired? :rolleyes:

Praxit

Reaction score
They don’t need to win championships to sell their personal brand. DLaw was all smiles no long after the playoff loss to Green Bay promoting some protein drink or something on NFL Network. He was talking about how much protein in your diet you need. Apparently the team didn’t have enough protein before the Packers game. He said the team was tired. The Packers were traveling and we were tired? :rolleyes:
..lol....really! I missed that. That is just lame excuse coming from Dlaw.

The defense got its *** handed to, more than offense. Matter of fact, Dak got them back in the game. In 3rd qtr, score was 27-10.

All defense had to do was hold, give ball back to offense. Nope, ...they could not stop GB, even if Jerry was given them bonus money.

OGSixshooter

Reaction score
Their personal brand is all some players care about. It was never like that when the team was winning championships.
I remember "wondering" if Troy Aikman had more personality or if his stoicism was an act. Or how Michael "really" was behind the scenes. I mean...what did Red Jesus used to say? "The team, the team, the team...!". Those MEN embodied that...either you get it or you don't.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
Here’s the message: When the team wins, so does your brand. Nothing sells YOU like being on team that wins a bunch of playoff games. The social media profile or podcast of a champion always gets more eyeballs and cash.

I have no problem with any player being on social media, having a podcast, putting themselves out there through advertising. They should take advantage of their profitability while they can. But nothing sells like winning a championship.
Good post.

I find it interesting that the players perspective is usually focused on their own accomplishments and production on the field and they use their platform to share their opinions about any number of situations in the league. Everybody has something to say about everybody else and the league.

And any discussion of the failures as a team or criticism of their individual play is brushed aside with a “we put that out of our minds already and moved on” mentality along with a bunch of excuses. Losing and getting embarrassed just doesn’t seem to be that big of a deal to today’s player.

Players today don’t seem to hate losing as much as I remember guys did in the past. I can’t see guys like Haley, Irvin, Aikman etc… just shrugging their shoulders and rolling with a “guess we’ll get em next year” platitude.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
Here’s the message: When the team wins, so does your brand. Nothing sells YOU like being on team that wins a bunch of playoff games. The social media profile or podcast of a champion always gets more eyeballs and cash.

I have no problem with any player being on social media, having a podcast, putting themselves out there through advertising. They should take advantage of their profitability while they can. But nothing sells like winning a championship.
The problem with this position... Jerry has created a universe where the bottom line and/or his brand grows...without having to win the ultimate prize. Winning enough to stay relevant has made Dallas the highest valued franchise in sports history.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
No offense Bob but you are living in the past on this one. I wish it were true as much as you but winning doesn't mean jack anymore. Parsons, Dak and Lamb are social media gods. Lack of winning has not hurt them at all. Sure winning might give them a small boost but they are already basically on top of the metrics that matter.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
I hear ya but that's like telling teenage boys to stop thinking about girls.

These guys practically live in social media. Superbowl wins are nice n all but clicks and likes are their daily business.
Very well said. Could not agree more. These guys are dominating what is truly important to them. No offense Bob but they would laugh at your out dated take.

blueblood70

Reaction score
...Bullet, these kids dont get it. Getting ratings and likes is about the same as making playoffs.

Perhaps only Mahomes gets it. That's probably on his good parenting.
yup this is a generation that got cell phones(played with their parents Iphones/pads etc) at 7 yrs old!! SM is part of the lifestyle, it's not branding its the new Norm..the old guard fan base do NOT understand this me me me see and hear me 24-7 content creating generation.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
Chris Jones has 1/3 of the social media followers that Micah does. Trust me when I say Micah is the real winner and he knows it.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
It is like a poker player who loses a hand for 100k but has 1 million viewers on their you tube channel. Sure winning the hand would have been great but that is not what really matters. They have 1 million viewers on you tube. They have already won.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
I will confess I am just another old man shaking my fist yelling at the kids to get off my lawn. I am not plugged in to what the younger generation feels and thinks but I do try to pay attention to how my kids act. Mostly I am just curious and find it interesting. My son for example does not follow the NBA at all. Only ever played recreational basketball for fun. He loves Luka Doncic. It is because his Instagram feed and tiktok algorithm feeds him all the crazy stuff Luka does on the court. The foolish logo shots. The crazy passes. The highlights are what matters.

Does it matter that Luka had never won anything? Does it matter that he lost to the Celtics? Not one bit. Luka is the king of social media basketball until the algorithm finds the next king.

Praxit

Reaction score
yup this is a generation that got cell phones(played with their parents Iphones/pads etc) at 7 yrs old!! SM is part of the lifestyle, it's not branding its the new Norm..the old guard fan base do NOT understand this me me me see and hear me 24-7 content creating generation.
....lol... yep, other day I'm walking into a grocery store with my wife. As we enter, I see a mom with her kid. Kid had to be around 6 or 7 with cellphone in hand.

I told my wife, "Did you see that?". I told her, that's nuts.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
....lol... yep, other day I'm walking into a grocery store with my wife. As we enter, I see a mom with her kid. Kid had to be around 6 or 7 with cellphone in hand.

I told my wife, "Did you see that?". I told her, that's nuts.
Yeah, I’ve seen that scene too. But to me it’s no different than what was said about any generation in the past including mine.

My parents generation couldn’t understand how long I talked on the phone with my girlfriend in high school. Or always thinking my music was being played way too loud. My grandmother couldn’t believe that some movies I liked contained “curse words”.

It’s as old as time. Each generation has different experiences the prior generation either doesn’t like or understand.