A simple message for Cowboys players working on their personal brand

FanofJerry

Reaction score
The owners should up the players pay then.

The players are making the owners money...money that the owners and players negotiated to split a certain way.

If you want players to have no life and only focus on football 100% of the time...up their pay significantly.

Stop taking from the players with bait and switches. "I'll pay you this for your on field production" sign the man and then "You arent thinking about football enough off the field"

What are you sacrificing for the player to focus more? Dont try with "winning a trophy". A trophy, small bonus, parade and name etched in legacy...none of that pays the bills.

Tell me what you are sacrificing if you want 100% focus.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

The players are making the owners money...money that the owners and players negotiated to split a certain way.

If you want players to have no life and only focus on football 100% of the time...up their pay significantly.

Stop taking from the players with bait and switches. "I'll pay you this for your on field production" sign the man and then "You arent thinking about football enough off the field"

What are you sacrificing for the player to focus more? Dont try with "winning a trophy". A trophy, small bonus, parade and name etched in legacy...none of that pays the bills.

Well I agree with you that the players are what make the owners money and I’m always for the players FIRST. As I have said numerous times on this thread , I have no problem with any player being on social media to make their brand more valuable.

All I was saying is the easiest and most lasting way to build your brand is to win, especially playoff games.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score

They already get paid generational wealth.

Guys in the 1970s practically played this game for food, and were far more dedicated and professional.

Maybe these current generation of players need to quit being so damn soft and narcissistic.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
Well I agree with you that the players are what make the owners money and I’m always for the players FIRST. As I have said numerous times on this thread , I have no problem with any player being on social media to make their brand more valuable.

All I was saying is the easiest and most lasting way to build your brand is to win, especially playoff games.
Correction: THE FANS make the owners and the players their money. Without fans there is no money for any of them.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Correction: THE FANS make the owners and the players their money. Without fans there is no money for any of them.
Yeah but we wouldn’t pay a dime without the players being what they are. The fans are the consumers of the product. The players are THE product.

FanofJerry

Reaction score
Its the players providing entertainment that drives fans spending.

Micah cant win a team sport Championship on his own. So...moving the bar to..."if you win, thats best for your brand" makes sense...but isnt something Micah can do on his own.

Suggesting to take money out of these guys pockets for doing a podcast, whether it causes team drama because words said, is not right, imo.

Everyone on this damn board knows...that if the owners could make money by forcing stars to do 2-3 hours of podcasts a month...they would. Thats fact.

Its only an issue when a player is making money, building his brand...and the owner doesnt get a cut.

If you think Micah is causing team issues because of a podcast or think his heart isnt in it...dont like him. But dont tell him not to make money for his family doing something that isnt evil.

If Micah's opinions or words are causing team issues...allow him a little bit of room to learn what his opinion can or cant do to a team. Its just too early to get out the pitchforks yet.

And this is an opinion from someone who has been very critical of his tweets. But Im not trying to dent the guys pocket about his own podcast.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
The majority of players in the NFL and NFL have a 45% chance of growing up in a single parent household......this is where many values are instilled.

Right, wrong or indifferent, these are the numbers.

The "Village" ain't working.
What a load of crap.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
Here’s the message: When the team wins, so does your brand. Nothing sells YOU like being on team that wins a bunch of playoff games. The social media profile or podcast of a champion always gets more eyeballs and cash.

I have no problem with any player being on social media, having a podcast, putting themselves out there through advertising. They should take advantage of their profitability while they can. But nothing sells like winning a championship.
The thing is these are two separate issues. One does not really impact the other in any material way. Their podcasts, social media presence etc… is not why they haven’t won a title. It’s not why they lost to Green Bay.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
They already get paid generational wealth.

Guys in the 1970s practically played this game for food, and were far more dedicated and professional.

Maybe these current generation of players need to quit being so damn soft and narcissistic.
…but were they though? *thinks of Max McGee getting absolutely hammered at local LA bars the night before Super Bowl 1*

How about all that cocaine in the 70s and 80s?

Y’all are caping for a nostalgic past that didn’t exist.

blueblood70

Reaction score
…but were they though? *thinks of Max McGee getting absolutely hammered at local LA bars the night before Super Bowl 1*

yeah, i believe this dude stuck in the 50s they were making pretty damn good money in the 70s more than food stipends LMAO.. its in line with cost of living. nut we now have league and owners who we're not anywhere close to even a millionaires let alone be made-up of muli-bilionairs now flourishing with tv/radio/sm and other revenue sources and the players are what's driving that and want their share and deserve it , they know they could end up like all these CTE futures or players when up like Earl Cambell...

Cocaine PEDS, steroids, alcohol and many other drugs they likely never paid for , add in zero drug testing or being monitored, yeah there were north Dallas 40, white houses, and many other things we do NOT know about. i mean the 70s were the beginning of the superstar era, they likely got tons of freed food, drugs , use of cars, houses, and alcohol and began to show up in commercials and who knows the gambling that went on.. poor dudes like Broadway joe and his fur wearing drunk escapades.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Who said anything about “nostalgia” on this thread?

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
Who said anything about “nostalgia” on this thread?
I was referring to someone saying players in the 60s and 70s were more dedicated and professional. A questionable claim since I can think of multiple examples of players of that era doing the opposite and who knows what else given that social media is a thing.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
Here’s the message: When the team wins, so does your brand. Nothing sells YOU like being on team that wins a bunch of playoff games. The social media profile or podcast of a champion always gets more eyeballs and cash.

I have no problem with any player being on social media, having a podcast, putting themselves out there through advertising. They should take advantage of their profitability while they can. But nothing sells like winning a championship.
Not as true as it used to be. Romo seems to be doing pretty well without a Championship and Pat McAfee is doing extremely well and he was a punter, a punter fer cryin' out loud.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Team first! When the team wins, you win. When the team advances in the playoffs you advance in the playoffs. Individual achievement can not come first.