A Suggestion That Might Help Henson...

CaptainAmerica

Reaction score
...Parcells' comments about Henson were very interesting to me.

So much for Parcells not liking Henson. He spends 30 minutes talking with him about relaxing and letting his ability take over.

It's very clear from Henson's body language when he's in a game that he is extremely uptight. Some players are like that. Also, it is a physical issue, not a mental issue. It's a result of a person's adrenal gland response.

Romo obviously is different and that one quality is enough to elevate him over a more athletically gifted player.

I know some of you will think I'm crazy for suggesting this, but some one needs to get a team doctor to prescribe Henson a Beta Blocker medication and let him try playing with it. (Think of all the other medications players take so they can play.)The dosage could be so small it wouldn't effect his ability to play. If you don't know what a Beta Blocker is, read this...

How beta blockers work:
Beta blockers interfere with the adrenaline-like effects of the neurotransmitter norepinephrine, causing a reduction in the bodily symptoms associated with anxiety. They work quickly and are not habit forming.

I realize some of you will think this is a crazy suggestion, but if I was Jerry and I gave this guy a check for a few million $$ of my hard-earned money, I would be looking for ways to deal with a problem that is obviously holding him back.

rcaldw

Reaction score
I've got another suggestion, try a different tactic with the player. Try some encouragement.

It seems counter productive to me when your public comments about a player and your actions toward a player all knock the stuffing out of him, and then you privately tell him to relax and stop pressing.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
I would be nervous too if I knew I was going to get pulled if I made a mistake.

WDN

Benched
Reaction score
I have a suggestion for Henson....

Work on the curveball.

baj1dallas

Reaction score
CaptainAmerica said:
Romo obviously is different and that one quality is enough to elevate him over a more athletically gifted player.

What makes you say that? I don't know that I believe that's true at all.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
I want some of these beta-blockers. I had what I think was my first ever 'panic attack' today.

Unforgiven

Reaction score
To be honest with you, Parcells is probably ultimately responsible for some of this resulting from the Chicago game. He purposely set Henson up for failure (in spite of the media and us) by calling two dive plays on the first two downs, leaving him with third and long every time, where he was blitzed and destroyed. Then, he pulled him at the half in a I-told-you-so type fashion. Henson has not been the same as a Cowboy.

However, I though he looked pretty relaxed in Europe and played pretty well. No Bill there.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
I'm just glad this topic was brought up in the press conference so I could hear about Sam Gash snorting and hyperventilating in the huddle. Very funny.

Concord

Mr. Buckeye
Reaction score
rcaldw said:
I've got another suggestion, try a different tactic with the player. Try some encouragement.

It seems counter productive to me when your public comments about a player and your actions toward a player all knock the stuffing out of him, and then you privately tell him to relax and stop pressing.

:holmes: ...Elementary my Dear Watson!:toast2:

kmd24

Reaction score
CaptainAmerica said:

In this context, I think it is interesting that Romo is an accomplished golfer. Excelling in golf requires a lot of emotional control and focus/concentration. Maybe it's innate, maybe it's learned. Anyway, just a thought I had when I heard the PC today.

CaptainAmerica

Reaction score
kmd24 said:
In this context, I think it is interesting that Romo is an accomplished golfer. Excelling in golf requires a lot of emotional control and focus/concentration. Maybe it's innate, maybe it's learned. Anyway, just a thought I had when I heard the PC today.

Agree. I just think it's innate with Romo. I just wish he was a little bigger and had a little bit better arm. If he did he would be dangerous.

CaptainAmerica

Reaction score
Chief said:
Would that be a performance-enhancing drug?

;)

I'm not sure, but I did wonder about that. It could be illegal because if it worked it definitely could enhance a player's performance.

Of course so do all those painkilling pills and shots they take.

BIGDen

Dr. Freakasaurus
Reaction score
rcaldw said:

:hammer:

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
He just looks very robotic...EXCEPT when the pocket breaks down and he has to improvise.

His best plays in NFLE were the result of broken down pass protection.

Otherwise it seems that he is too aware of his mechanics...footwork..etc. He just looks forced.

And that might be a result of the coaching he has received and his concern about impressing Parcells more than simply going out and making plays.

It's interesting that Staubach used to make Landry NUTZ in the beginning but he simply went out and did what he knew he did best.

Not the case with Henson.

And NO, I am not comparing Henson to Staubach.

Reaction score
Juke99 said:
He just looks very robotic...EXCEPT when the pocket breaks down and he has to improvise.

His best plays in NFLE were the result of broken down pass protection.

Otherwise it seems that he is too aware of his mechanics...footwork..etc. He just looks forced.

And that might be a result of the coaching he has received and his concern about impressing Parcells more than simply going out and making plays.

It's interesting that Staubach used to make Landry NUTZ in the beginning but he simply went out and did what he knew he did best.

Not the case with Henson.

And NO, I am not comparing Henson to Staubach.

That Henson is not even running our 3rd team offense is telling. There are no relevant Roger Staubach comparisons. Note that Staubach during his years away from football came back on vacation for training camp and played sandlot football in the Navy (IE throwing footballs year round).

Henson is a major disapointment to me as I expected more.

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
RockyMountainFan said:
That Henson is not even running our 3rd team offense is telling. There are no relevant Roger Staubach comparisons. Note that Staubach during his years away from football came back on vacation for training camp and played sandlot football in the Navy (IE throwing footballs year round).

Henson is a major disapointment to me as I expected more.

OY.

I went out of my way to say I wasn't comparing the two.

The point I was making was that Staubach responded to a coach trying to change him by simply playing the game the way he knew best.

Henson, it seems, has done the opposite.

kmd24

Reaction score
RockyMountainFan said:
That Henson is not even running our 3rd team offense is telling.

Not really. This is the last week for evaluations. Parcells knows what he has in Henson. Not so much with Baker. In today's press conference, Parcells was very noncomittal when asked if Baker had a shot at making the team, basically all but saying that he's headed to the practice squad.

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
Juke99 said:
OY.

I went out of my way to say I wasn't comparing the two.

The point I was making was that Staubach responded to a coach trying to change him by simply playing the game the way he knew best.

Henson, it seems, has done the opposite.

Funny how someone sees Henson in the same post as Staubach and assumes you're making the comparison without reading the post:laugh2::laugh2:

Grumble grumble... Henson compared to Staubach, how dare you?? Don't even compare their shoe size.