A Suggestion That Might Help Henson...

CaptainAmerica

Reaction score
bbgun said:
Laughing all the way to the bank.

235-732-71660254.jpg

I don't think so.

We can make light of him, but none of us have ever competed on a public stage like Henson. I would suspect that being considered a failure in 2 sports after receiving so much hype in HS and College, is probably a very difficult thing for Drew Henson.

No one wants to fail in front of the whole world and he strikes me as a decent guy who's trying his best but is unable to live up to the hype and the pressure that has followed him since he was a 16 year old kid.

Cochese

Benched
Reaction score
CaptainAmerica said:
I don't think so.

We can make light of him, but none of us have ever competed on a public stage like Henson. I would suspect that being considered a failure in 2 sports after receiving so much hype in HS and College, is probably a very difficult thing for Drew Henson.

No one wants to fail in front of the whole world and he strikes me as a decent guy who's trying his best but is unable to live up to the hype and the pressure that has followed him since he was a 16 year old kid.

I absolutely agree, that Drew seems like a stand up guy. But.. It is becoming a pattern with him, quitting Michigan football for the yanks, quitting the yanks for the Cowboys. I almost wish he had more strength in character to pick something and stick with it, instead of following the best money making oppurtunity in front of him.

CaptainAmerica

Reaction score
JustSayNotoTO said:
I absolutely agree, that Drew seems like a stand up guy. But.. It is becoming a pattern with him, quitting Michigan football for the yanks, quitting the yanks for the Cowboys. I almost wish he had more strength in character to pick something and stick with it, instead of following the best money making oppurtunity in front of him.

I don't think you can criticize a guy's character when you don't know everything involved in his decision.

I don't think it's a character thing. Most great football players never had an opportunity to play pro baseball, because they weren't good enough.

He happened to be so good in HS in both sports that both sports were options. MLB offered much more $$ and those guys have much longer careers. He also had skills that had some people saying he was the next Mickey mantle, his idol.

I would bet baseball is the choice many of us would have made. To say he should have stuck with baseball once it became clear he wasn't going to be able to stick in the big leagues is not very logical.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
why do people even pretend to know what's going on in Henson's mind is beyond me...or any player for that matter

Cochese

Benched
Reaction score
CaptainAmerica said:
I don't think you can criticize a guy's character when you don't know everything involved in his decision.

I don't think it's a character thing. Most great football players never had an opportunity to play pro baseball, because they weren't good enough.

He happened to be so good in HS in both sports that both sports were options. MLB offered much more $$ and those guys have much longer careers. He also had skills that had some people saying he was the next Mickey mantle, his idol.

I would bet baseball is the choice many of us would have made. To say he should have stuck with baseball once it became clear he wasn't going to be able to stick in the big leagues is not very logical.

I dont want to question his character, as I probably would have made the same choice for the guaranteed money, especially after my #1 HB and WR went pro. I still think it says something when you make the decisions DH did.

CaptainAmerica

Reaction score
JustSayNotoTO said:
I dont want to question his character, as I probably would have made the same choice for the guaranteed money, especially after my #1 HB and WR went pro. I still think it says something when you make the decisions DH did.

What does it say?

I'm not criticizing your comment, I really don't understand why people bash him for the sports choices he has made.

Cochese

Benched
Reaction score
CaptainAmerica said:
What does it say?

I'm not criticizing your comment, I really don't understand why people bash him for the sports choices he has made.

Maybe I am wrong, but I think the choices he has made has shown that Henson is a quitter whenever things dont go to plan. He left Michigan after his star RB and WR left, he quit the Yanks when it was obvious he couldnt hack it as a pro baseball player.

acheman

Reaction score
Was Rayfield Wright a quitter because he went with football over his first love of basketball? Was Troy Aikman a quitter because he went with football instead of his first love of baseball? You play the hand you are dealt. If he isn't good enough so be it, but I see no lack of effort on his part. He is simply not living up to the billing, for whatever reason (be it psychological, physical, or too long of a layoff). I don't know the real answer for his struggles, nor do I suspect does anyone else on this board.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
When Dallas signed Henson they made sure the contract was constructed to give him time and not to rush him. Cowboys are holding true to that regardless if fans growing impatient. I’m not suggesting Henson is a sure thing but I still think he will get his shot and what he does with that opportunity will determine his future with this club.

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
I don't know how many times this has been said, but I'll say it again so it doesn't matter. Henson has all of the physical tools necessary in a QB. He is also quite smart, from what I ascertain of his Wonderlic score and also what BP has said.

From what I have been reading of his "problems", I'll suggest a solution. What Henson needs to do is just mentally go out there on the field and tell himself I'm the best damn QB in the league (or I can be), play with that focus, and show it. Assertive optimism works, and Henson just needs a little bit of that.

superpunk

Reaction score
I think my advice to Henson would be to play better - stop sucking when you get your opportunities. It's pretty simple, if he plays better, he'll get more love. I thought he played pretty well in NFLE, but reports are, in camp he's been underwhelming. He's gotta perform with the opportunities he's got.

CaptainAmerica

Reaction score
superpunk said:
I think my advice to Henson would be to play better - stop sucking when you get your opportunities. It's pretty simple, if he plays better, he'll get more love. I thought he played pretty well in NFLE, but reports are, in camp he's been underwhelming. He's gotta perform with the opportunities he's got.

Wow! Ya think? I wonder why Henson and Parcells didn't think about that solution? :D Just kidding you.

We all understand he just needs to play better, but what is holding him back from doing just that, is the question.

I believe it's the uptightness and trying to live up to expectations, but I also believe the fundamental flaw in his throwing motion prevents him from being a consistently accurate passer and that will kill a QB in the NFL.

Somehow he needs to get that straightened out.

For goodness sakes, I saw Brady on TV saying he worked on his mechanics in the off-season because he realized he was overthrowing too many deep passes. He talked in detail about the mechanical adjustment he's made for this season where he gets the nose of the ball to "turn over" so it descends in proper relation to the spot the WR will be in his deep route.

If Brady is still honing his mechanics, Henson certainly can work on his and not just say that's the way I throw it.

superpunk

Reaction score
CaptainAmerica said:
Wow! Ya think? I wonder why Henson and Parcells didn't think about that solution? :D Just kidding you.

We all understand he just needs to play better, but what is holding him back from doing just that, is the question.

I believe it's the uptightness and trying to live up to expectations, but I also believe the fundamental flaw in his throwing motion prevents him from being a consistently accurate passer and that will kill a QB in the NFL.

Somehow he needs to get that straightened out.

For goodness sakes, I saw Brady on TV saying he worked on his mechanics in the off-season because he realized he was overthrowing too many deep passes. He talked in detail about the mechanical adjustment he's made for this season where he gets the nose of the ball to "turn over" so it descends in proper relation to the spot the WR will be in his deep route.

If Brady is still honing his mechanics, Henson certainly can work on his and not just say that's the way I throw it.

Obviously he seems to play better when he's improvising, and he lets go. In order to do that, he needs to be completely familiar with the system, maybe Palmer can help him with that. I really like him, and I am hopeful for him in the future. Maybe he lacks dedication? Dedication to improve his mechanics, like a Brady. Maybe he isn't as diligent as he should be in study, lacking the preparedness to really allow himself to relax.

But yeah, my advice to him would be to stop sucking, lol. I'm a hell of a coach. ;)

cml750

Reaction score
rcaldw said:
I've got another suggestion, try a different tactic with the player. Try some encouragement.

It seems counter productive to me when your public comments about a player and your actions toward a player all knock the stuffing out of him, and then you privately tell him to relax and stop pressing.
:hammer:
You are 100% correct sir. This is where BP has failed miserably. He plays mind games with some players. Mind games can be a helpful tool with some players but does not always work with everyone. Some people respond better to positive commentary. Bill has never publically given Henson any props even when he has done well. The best thing for Henson would be to get from under BP's shadow. If Henson is traded or BP retires then I think people will see him reach his potential!

CaptainAmerica

Reaction score
cml750 said:
:hammer:
You are 100% correct sir. This is where BP has failed miserably. He plays mind games with some players. Mind games can be a helpful tool with some players but does not always work with everyone. Some people respond better to positive commentary. Bill has never publically given Henson any props even when he has done well.

You know I actually thought about this when Aikman was giving his HOF speech and he credited Norv Turner with saving his career.

I couldn't help but think Jerry thought of that in relation to Henson. I could see Jerry thinking of the need for a proven QB coach like Charlie Weis, (if he would consider leaving ND) or Ken Whisenhunt, (if he doesn't replace Cowher). Whisenhunt has gotten a lot of credit for his work with Rothlisberger.

People can ridicule Henson all they want. Jerry is in his corner and wants to see him develop.

BrassCowboy

Reaction score
Henson is finished. You can write that one in the books.

Henson has not showed us anything that says he can be a starting QB for the Cowboys. He could only accomplish mediocrity in the NFLE.

and also, why is everyone babying Henson. He cannot take a little criticism. He doesn't want to put the effort together to take over, and if he has tried and still not good enoough, then what says he ever will.
Please Bill, stop, stop picking on me! :nervous:

Doomsday101

Reaction score
RW Hitman said:

Henson has not showed us anything that says he can be a starting QB for the Cowboys. He could only accomplish mediocrity in the NFLE.

and also, why is everyone babying Henson. He cannot take a little criticism. He doesn't want to put the effort together to take over, and if he has tried and still not good enoough, then what says he ever will.
Please Bill, stop, stop picking on me! :LOL:

As far as I know Henson has not said a thing. Some fans may be taking up for him but Henson himself has not made any public statements

BrassCowboy

Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
As far as I know Henson has not said a thing. Some fans may be taking up for him but Henson himself has not made any public statements

that may be true,probably is...

It is just that we have been dragging these has been ex-baseball players with some kind of twinge in their throwing style that cannot be changed.

It is time we move on, lets find his replacement as third string QB because right now, that is IMO the only reason why he is still on the team.

TX_Yid

Reaction score
RW Hitman said:

Please Bill, stop, stop picking on me! :nervous:

Echoes my sentiments. Henson is a man, not a boy. If he can't get past the limited adversity he is facing to improve himself as a QB then he will have no business being the future QB for a team like the Cowboys.

Some people just can't cut it. Now I'm not saying Henson is a write off yet, but if he never makes it, he only has himself to blame, no-one else.