A Suggestion That Might Help Henson...

CowboyManDan

Reaction score
I think he just needs to keep playing, so he can get things down to a point where he isn't thinking so much about anything. Maybe we should send him to NFLE again this offseason unless he's going to get some good preseason time from here on in. Holding him from any practice drills certainly is not going to help him...even if it's just to see what Baker has since BP knows about Henson. I still think the kid has so much talent.

I'm not sure Parcells has figured out the best way to push Henson. BP talks about how he has to find different ways/ideas/things to get a player to progress. I don't think BP has found the buttons to push for Henson yet. I hope BP doesn't give up. I do think BP has found the right buttons for Romo over the years and Romo is responding nicely.

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
I don't know if this is a good idea or not. You see what happened to Quincy when he tried to take a little something something for his anxiety. ;)

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
peplaw06 said:
Funny how someone sees Henson in the same post as Staubach and assumes you're making the comparison without reading the post:laugh2::laugh2:

Grumble grumble... Henson compared to Staubach, how dare you?? Don't even compare their shoe size.

:laugh2: :bow:

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
It is not uncommon for some guys to be uptight in practice but when real bullets start flying they step up and excel. That is because they quit thinking too much and just let instincts and natural ability take over. IMO Henson is trying too hard to impress Parcells and is tightening up too much.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
rcaldw said:
I've got another suggestion, try a different tactic with the player. Try some encouragement.

It seems counter productive to me when your public comments about a player and your actions toward a player all knock the stuffing out of him, and then you privately tell him to relax and stop pressing.

If he can't handle getting the cold shoulder from the coach, he'll wilt under the pressure of playing the most visible position in all of professional sports.

I mean, really, this?

To be honest with you, Parcells is probably ultimately responsible for some of this resulting from the Chicago game. He purposely set Henson up for failure (in spite of the media and us) by calling two dive plays on the first two downs, leaving him with third and long every time, where he was blitzed and destroyed.

Henson was "mentally destroyed" because Parcells called some running plays? Exactly how mentally fragile is this kid? Sounds like the Cowboys would do him a favor by cutting him immediately so he can get started on a career 9 to 5, he's not cut out for professional sports.

Henson needs some moxie.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
CaptainAmerica said:
Agree. I just think it's innate with Romo. I just wish he was a little bigger and had a little bit better arm. If he did he would be dangerous.

he would also have been drafted :D

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
CowboyManDan said:
Maybe we should send him to NFLE again this offseason unless he's going to get some good preseason time from here on in.

I think it's a given that Henson goes back to NFLE, esp. w/ how Parcells wants to give ROmo all this time in preseason to evaluate his future w/ the club

and I just think Henson's problem isn't Parcells, or trying to rush things to impress him, just he's inexperienced and obviously still needs some dust knocked off

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
InmanRoshi said:
If he can't handle getting the cold shoulder from the coach, he'll wilt under the pressure of playing the most visible position in all of professional sports.

I mean, really, this?

Henson was "mentally destroyed" because Parcells called some running plays? Exactly how mentally fragile is this kid? Sounds like the Cowboys would do him a favor by cutting him immediately so he can get started on a career 9 to 5, he's not cut out for professional sports.

Henson needs some moxie.

dude, you're acting like these guys know what they're talking about, they have no idea what Henson is feeling

you give them too much credit

Jimz31

The Sarcastic One
Reaction score
rcaldw said:
I've got another suggestion, try a different tactic with the player. Try some encouragement.

It seems counter productive to me when your public comments about a player and your actions toward a player all knock the stuffing out of him, and then you privately tell him to relax and stop pressing.
There is some merit to this. Some people react differently to criticism. Yet the QB position is the one position on a team that you have to have a QB that can handle the criticism.

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
A suggestion that might help Henson "relax..."

something%20about%20mary,%20spermascene.BMP

Dom: Alright I think you're all set. So just go clean the pipes and lets go.
Ted: Huh?
Dom: You know clean the pipes.
Ted: What do you mean clean the pipes?
Dom: You choke the chicken before any big date don't you? Tell me you spank the monkey before any big date. Oh my God he doesn't flog the dolphin before a big date. Are you crazy? That's like going out there with a loaded gun! Of course that's why you're nervous.

Sorry if this isn't family friendly enough... Please delete if so and don't make the caning too severe....:D

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
Wasn't Chutch considered an uptight player also?

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
dmq said:
Wasn't Chutch considered an uptight player also?
Actually, no he wasn't. He was too critical of himself and wouldn't get over it, but I don't remember anyone saying he over analyzed everything. He just didn't have an ounce of pocket awareness and couldn't hang onto the football.

Cochese

Benched
Reaction score
The only suggestion Drew Henson needs is to start using some of this god given talent that he supposedly has inside of him. Any sort of babying or coddling is ludicris after years in the system.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Parcells comments today did illuminate a few old questions ... such as why Henson wasn't allowed to finish the Chicago game. Obviously he had completely lost his composure and poise.

Dale

Forum Architect
Reaction score
I don't know how relevant this is, but I was talking to a few major-league baseball scouts a couple of weeks ago about Henson. One of them happened to be a huge Cowboys fan.

One opinion that stood out to me was that flaming out in baseball might have had an effect on Henson's psychological standing when it comes to football.

I wonder if there might be some truth to that? I mean, is Drew Henson mentally the same Drew Henson that played at Michigan and hadn't yet failed at professional baseball?

Cochese

Benched
Reaction score
Dale said:
I don't know how relevant this is, but I was talking to a few major-league baseball scouts a couple of weeks ago about Henson. One of them happened to be a huge Cowboys fan.

One opinion that stood out to me was that flaming out in baseball might have had an effect on Henson's psychological standing when it comes to football.

I wonder if there might be some truth to that? I mean, is Drew Henson mentally the same Drew Henson that played at Michigan and hadn't yet failed at professional baseball?

This could be very relevant. If Henson could hit a curve and was seen as a viable option for the Yankees at 3b, there is absolutely no way he would be with us right now. I dont doubt his physical abilities, but his mind is something that I wont even try to explain.

Cochese

Benched
Reaction score
bbgun said:
Laughing all the way to the bank.

He has allready stolen money from the best American sports franchises, next up Real Madrid and Manchester United.