A thought at TE

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This. This off season, just build the trenches and safety positions and ship Dak to a deserted island with a barn and a bag of footballs.

And that's why I'm opposed to using our top draft assets on another TE. You would never get the return on investment. Didn't with Fasano, didn't with Bennett, sure didn't with Escobar. And you wouldn't with any draft pick in 2019 either.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Over 100 yards and 3 touchdowns in a game? A franchise record game? Again, this looks bad for you.

Random players pop up all the time with big games. It means nothing.

He had 16 games and decided to go for 100 and 3 TD's in the meaningless game.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
It was a pretty good one game.

Like franchise career game.

But that's all I'm saying. Both showed steady improvements and good signs.
Yea, the players did. But one game from the offense doesn't mean anything.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Random players pop up all the time with big games. It means nothing.

He had 16 games and decided to go for 100 and 3 TD's in the meaningless game.

Ya know what actually "means nothing"? Some internet guy calling him a "JAG' after a performance like that.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yea, the players did. But one game from the offense doesn't mean anything.

It meant something to me. It was their best scoring day in a while, and they actually succeeded in the red zone. That's huge in my opinion.

When was the last time they had a TE go over 100 yards or score 3 TD's?

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
It meant something to me. It was their best scoring day in a while, and they actually succeeded in the red zone. That's huge in my opinion.

When was the last time they had a TE go over 100 yards or score 3 TD's?
They played a JV team in what was, effectively, a preseason game.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Ya know what actually "means nothing"? Some internet guy calling him a "JAG' after a performance like that.

Well fortunately for me, some internet guy, Stephen Jones agrees with me and has said TE and Safety are our top positions of need.

glimmerman

Reaction score
I sign Swaim to a 1 or 2 year deal and bring the other 2 along for another year of growth. Rico. Lol, he better have a huge jump during the offseason or it’s a wrap.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well fortunately for me, some internet guy, Stephen Jones agrees with me and has said TE and Safety are our top positions of need.

"Need" where?

I wonder if that was before or after our defense got run over for 270 yards?

Safety I certainly agree with, but you're not getting an immediate difference maker in the draft there either.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
They played a JV team in what was, effectively, a preseason game.

He is really taking way too much pride in a game where most of the players were going through the motions.

It had a nice finish and everything but it had the intensity of a pre-season game for about 3 1/2 quarters.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
"Need" where?

I wonder if that was before or after our defense got run over for 270 yards?

Safety I certainly agree with, but you're not getting an immediate difference maker in the draft there either.

TE and Safety are both positions where quality tends to slide a little.

Everyone is going for QB's, Corners, Pass rushers, and Oline early.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I've been ruminating about what the Cowboys might do at TE. I really liked how both Blake Jarwin and Dalton Schultz finished the season, outside of the injury to Jarwin late. Given that, and the youth of both guys, I'm opposed to investing our top pick in the 2019 second round on adding another young player to the mix. Virtually all players take at least a year or two to get fully up to speed with the NFL game.

Jarwin and Schultz are both hitting that point in 2019, and any rookie, however talented, is going to behind either or both in that learning curve. So if you use your top pick there, the odds of proper return in 2019 are slim and none. And I would rather use that pick on improving the trenches anyway. Give me a defensive tackle or offensive guard.

But, if the team felt they needed to improve, I'd go with a veteran.

Now, this idea is fraught with risk, but also with huge reward. My idea would be to sign former Bengals TE Tyler Eifert.

Now, the obvious risk. Eifert has been hurt - a lot - these past three seasons. And has never been the picture of health during his entire NFL career. He's suffered a myriad of injuries, including coming off of a gruesome ankle injury that ended his 2018 season. That's where the huge risk comes in, and that's why a player this good is even available. High risk, high reward.

And it's the Jarwin and Schultz factors that actually make me feel OK with taking that risk. Even if or when Eifert does get injured again, you would have not one, but two backup options in place, continuing to gain experience. The Cowboys would have great insurance

But when Eifert has played? He's been a Pro Bowl caliber player and regarded as one of the best in the league in 2015. He's a willing blocker, if not a great one, but he's a matchup nightmare in the passing game. Fast enough to force teams to cover with a defensive back, big enough at 6'6" to tower over them and make plays. Versatile enough to line up outside as well.

Eifert was signed tyo a one year, $5 million range prove it deal in Cincinnati last year. And given he had another injury, he didn't prove it. So, his cost should be in that same area, or possibly even cheaper. I don't see anywhere else that you might be able to find a veteran, Pro Bowl talent near that cost.

Oh, and did I mention that his college roommate and brother-in-law is our own Zack Martin? I'd consider that to be a big plus in the equation as well.

So rather than spending out\r best draft asset and hoping that a guy develops in a year or two, I'm rolling the dice on a proven talent and injury risk. I think we have the youth and depth to do that.

I'm curious to see what everyone's thoughts are on this idea?
Never hurts to consider it. I do think Jarwin and Schultz showed some good work in the seams, especially beyond blocking schemes. I agree that going for a high draft pick is a risk given our other needs. If the right FA becomes available, why not give it a go in TC? Competition is a good motivator.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
TE and Safety are both positions where quality tends to slide a little.

Everyone is going for QB's, Corners, Pass rushers, and Oline early.

And no matter who you get in the very end of that second round, they're not coming in and making a difference for this team in 2019. But you have at it. Neither would even start as rookies.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Never hurts to consider it. I do think Jarwin and Schultz showed some good work in the seams, especially beyond blocking schemes. I agree that going for a high draft pick is a risk given our other needs. If the right FA becomes available, why not give it a go in TC? Competition is a good motivator.

Both continued to improve as the season went along and they got opportunity and playing time. That's undeniable. And you simply can't finish the season with a better game than the one Jarwin had.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
And no matter who you get in the very end of that second round, they're not coming in and making a difference for this team in 2019. But you have at it. Neither would even start as rookies.

We'll see.

It wouldn't be difficult for a rookie 2nd rounder to come in and improve our TE and Safety position.