A thought at TE

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
OK, I'll agree to disagree. The Giants were playing to win that game and played their starters.
Ummm not on defense. Landon Collins and Alex Ogletree - the two guys most likely to cover TEs - were both out. Snacks Harrison was traded.

Their top DBs that game were Jenkins, M Thomas, BW Webb, S Chandler and C Riley. They might have started, technically, but other than Jenkins, they're only starters by default - probably shouldn't even be on NFL rosters.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We'll see.

It wouldn't be difficult for a rookie 2nd rounder to come in and improve our TE and Safety position.

I disagree. This team doesn't even give those guys the chance as rookies.

In my opinion, if a team at a coaching crossroads is looking for impact in 2019, veterans are the way to go there.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ummm not on defense. Landon Collins and Alex Ogletree - the two guys most likely to cover TEs - were both out. Snacks Harrison was traded.

That's a good point, but both guys were out due to injury. But that undoubtedly didn't hurt Jarwin's chances.

Their top DBs that game were Jenkins, M Thomas, BW Webb, S Chandler and C Riley. They might have started, technically, but other than Jenkins, they're only starters by default - probably shouldn't even be on NFL rosters.

I''l concede that's certainly a factor in our favor.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Both continued to improve as the season went along and they got opportunity and playing time. That's undeniable. And you simply can't finish the season with a better game than the one Jarwin had.
Flashes of Witten, Novacek, and Dupree.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I disagree. This team doesn't even give those guys the chance as rookies.

In my opinion, if a team at a coaching crossroads is looking for impact in 2019, veterans are the way to go there.

Well you just saw Michael Gallup come in and easily be the 2nd best WR on the roster over guys who have been here or in the league for awhile.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well you just saw Michael Gallup come in and easily be the 2nd best WR on the roster over guys who have been here or in the league for awhile.

And even that came kicking and screaming, despite the fact that the receiver by committee plan was such a failure and would have cost the team the season if not for the Cooper trade. And all it took there was a Deonte Thompson release, a Terrance Williams exile to IR, and a Tavon Austin injury before Gallup started to play more.

And that reinforces my point. The Cowboys wanted quick change and to turn around their season? They traded for a vet in Cooper, and that made all the difference.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I've been ruminating about what the Cowboys might do at TE. I really liked how both Blake Jarwin and Dalton Schultz finished the season, outside of the injury to Jarwin late. Given that, and the youth of both guys, I'm opposed to investing our top pick in the 2019 second round on adding another young player to the mix. Virtually all players take at least a year or two to get fully up to speed with the NFL game.

Jarwin and Schultz are both hitting that point in 2019, and any rookie, however talented, is going to behind either or both in that learning curve. So if you use your top pick there, the odds of proper return in 2019 are slim and none. And I would rather use that pick on improving the trenches anyway. Give me a defensive tackle or offensive guard.

But, if the team felt they needed to improve, I'd go with a veteran.

Now, this idea is fraught with risk, but also with huge reward. My idea would be to sign former Bengals TE Tyler Eifert.

Now, the obvious risk. Eifert has been hurt - a lot - these past three seasons. And has never been the picture of health during his entire NFL career. He's suffered a myriad of injuries, including coming off of a gruesome ankle injury that ended his 2018 season. That's where the huge risk comes in, and that's why a player this good is even available. High risk, high reward.

And it's the Jarwin and Schultz factors that actually make me feel OK with taking that risk. Even if or when Eifert does get injured again, you would have not one, but two backup options in place, continuing to gain experience. The Cowboys would have great insurance

But when Eifert has played? He's been a Pro Bowl caliber player and regarded as one of the best in the league in 2015. He's a willing blocker, if not a great one, but he's a matchup nightmare in the passing game. Fast enough to force teams to cover with a defensive back, big enough at 6'6" to tower over them and make plays. Versatile enough to line up outside as well.

Eifert was signed tyo a one year, $5 million range prove it deal in Cincinnati last year. And given he had another injury, he didn't prove it. So, his cost should be in that same area, or possibly even cheaper. I don't see anywhere else that you might be able to find a veteran, Pro Bowl talent near that cost.

Oh, and did I mention that his college roommate and brother-in-law is our own Zack Martin? I'd consider that to be a big plus in the equation as well.

So rather than spending out\r best draft asset and hoping that a guy develops in a year or two, I'm rolling the dice on a proven talent and injury risk. I think we have the youth and depth to do that.

I'm curious to see what everyone's thoughts are on this idea?

I agree with not using a high pick to draft another TE. I also agree to look at FA to sign a guy with talent. But FA always depends on cost and how it affects the young guys on the roster. Can't get Jarwin more reps than a guy you just paid 6million a year. The big decision is can we scheme or develop Jarwin to do more of what we saw vs the Giants? Can schultz also do some of those things? If yes to either then find a cheap FA or mid/late draft pick to come in and compete for a starting spot.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
For sure. If it worked once (or a few times) it can work again.

That's my thinking. Once Jarwin and Schultz got their opportunities, they came through. It's hard to make a play when you're not involved, and it's clear that to start the season, they weren't. Jarwin especially started the season looking unprepared and like a deer in the headlights. He was making mistakes and negative p[lays, but as the season went along, it was obvious that he grew more comfortable and confident, as evidenced by that career game.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That's my thinking. Once Jarwin and Schultz got their opportunities, they came through. It's hard to make a play when you're not involved, and it's clear that to start the season, they weren't. Jarwin especially started the season looking unprepared and like a deer in the headlights. He was making mistakes and negative p[lays, but as the season went along, it was obvious that he grew more comfortable and confident, as evidenced by that career game.
Yup. Some game plan changes happened after the tepid offense that got us to 3-5. Of course, actually getting used to playing the pro level helps. It was like the first part of the season was still a training camp audition for the rooks and the play book.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yup. Some game plan changes happened after the tepid offense that got us to 3-5. Of course, actually getting used to playing the pro level helps. It was like the first part of the season was still a training camp audition for the rooks and the play book.

It looked to me like the realized that given the attention paid to Cooper, Zeke, and to some degree Gallup, they could exploit the middle of the field and seams if they actually tried to use their TE's. And it worked. I think failing to realize it and use it earlier is a big reason why Linehan is gone.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And even that came kicking and screaming, despite the fact that the receiver by committee plan was such a failure and would have cost the team the season if not for the Cooper trade. And all it took there was a Deonte Thompson release, a Terrance Williams exile to IR, and a Tavon Austin injury before Gallup started to play more.

And that reinforces my point. The Cowboys wanted quick change and to turn around their season? They traded for a vet in Cooper, and that made all the difference.
Interesting isn't it? The receiver by committee worked for a while in 2016. Of course, our Pro Bowl Oline was intact and DCs hadn't adjusted yet.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Interesting isn't it? The receiver by committee worked for a while in 2016. Of course, our Pro Bowl Oline was intact and DCs hadn't adjusted yet.

I think having Dez and Witten out there played a huge role in that 2016 success. And the choices made as replacements weren't up to those standards.

75boyz

Reaction score
I agree with not using a high pick to draft another TE. I also agree to look at FA to sign a guy with talent. But FA always depends on cost and how it affects the young guys on the roster. Can't get Jarwin more reps than a guy you just paid 6million a year. The big decision is can we scheme or develop Jarwin to do more of what we saw vs the Giants? Can schultz also do some of those things? If yes to either then find a cheap FA or mid/late draft pick to come in and compete for a starting spot.

Excellent follow on summary to Stash's OP.
Excellent points on combining both the cost of what it would take to acquire said FA while still getting the existing TEs enough snaps in order to not stunt their growth as well.

I believe that is Stash's original stance, in that although he likes the 2 current young TEs, an alpha male vet added to the mix could put them over the top as a position group, especially considering the lame duck year Garrett is entering into with the overall sense of urgency to win now.

And as he has alluded to I believe, the worst thing that happens is a re injury and the contract has protective injury clauses so that the current guys improve/are incorporated more into the new offense. Okay, supposedly "new" offense. Different discussion, lol.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It looked to me like the realized that given the attention paid to Cooper, Zeke, and to some degree Gallup, they could exploit the middle of the field and seams if they actually tried to use their TE's. And it worked. I think failing to realize it and use it earlier is a big reason why Linehan is gone.
Just couldn't adjust, could he? The training wheels had to come off the playbook at some point. BobHaze in another post said you have to challenge someone with more than they can do in order to get better. I was reasonably good at tennis, till my younger brother smoked me. I got better after that, believe me!

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Excellent points on combining both the cost of what it would take to acquire said FA while still getting the existing TEs enough snaps in order to not stunt their growth as well.

I believe that is Stash's original stance, in that although he likes the 2 current young TEs, an alpha male vet added to the mix could put them over the top as a position group, especially considering the lame duck year Garrett is entering into with the overall sense of urgency to win now.

And as he has alluded to I believe, the worst thing that happens is a re injury and the contract has protective injury clauses so that the current guys improve/are incorporated more into the new offense. Okay, supposedly "new" offense. Different discussion, lol.

Summed up perfectly.
:thumbup:

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Don't hear much about Rico and we probably won't, at least I hope. Failed experiment?