A thought at TE

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by stasheroo, Feb 7, 2019.

1. stasheroo

stasheroo Well-Known Member

48,167 Messages
    44,056 Likes Received
    I'm against doing anything at TE in the draft before the 4th round at the earliest. I think it's counter-productive to what the team is doing otherwise in 2019.

If you draft a player in the second or third round, he's not playing, or certainly not playing a significant role. This team simply doesn't do that, even when they had a Hall of Famer in Witten. The young guys don't play or contribute quickly. And if he isn't, you may as well just roll with Jarwin and Schultz that you already have in place.

And to me that doesn't make sense for a team trying to go further while at a coaching crossroads on top of that.

A second round TE will be little to no factor in a critical 2019 year.

2. buybuydandavis

buybuydandavis Well-Known Member

6,249 Messages
    5,407 Likes Received
    But for injury, 2nd round Connor Williams would have started all year for us.

A TE in the 2nd could start for us. Other teams aren't thrilled by blocking. Swaim played 90% of snaps while healthy. There could be a guy better than Swaim in the 2nd. And if not better than Swaim, better than the JV squad of Jarwin, Schulz, and Rico.

3. Pantone282C

Pantone282C Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

1,772 Messages
    2,312 Likes Received
    Yeah, we have more needs at other positions. BPA is okay for now. Have to see how free agency and trades go. Post training camp is the last resort, but we did very well with Coop. Lucky I think.

dallasdave likes this.
  4. ItzKelz

ItzKelz Well-Known Member

1,949 Messages
    1,954 Likes Received
    Eifert is a poor mans Gronk....in every way including injuries.

5. Pants

Pants Well-Known Member

4,875 Messages
    5,923 Likes Received
    being an ND fanatic, have always loved Eifert, just not the injuries (of course); even if I put aside homerism, IMO, he is the type of vet that you bring in if his price tag is reasonable...things to consider:

1) BLOCKING: can he block? the Dallas TE position is predicated on first blocking and then getting a pass thrown your way on occasion
    2) MOORE FACTOR: we just don't know yet how Moore will use the TE position; will he follow in the GArrett/Linehan mold of throwing only to Witten and not with any thought of moving the ball downfield or will he try to use that position a lot with Dak rolling out? who knows - if he DOES want to do that, then a healthy Eifert would make the chains move

stasheroo likes this.
  6. ufcrules1

ufcrules1 Well-Known Member

9,583 Messages
    3,743 Likes Received
    Give me Cook... he would be a stud here. Amari Cooper wasn't doing much on the Raiders either..... bring Cook here and he will do much better.

Rockdoc likes this.
  7. stasheroo

48,167 Messages
    44,056 Likes Received
    But for injury, he wouldn't have gotten the job back either

No he couldn't. Even the Hall of Famer Witten was brought along slowly, and you're not getting another one of those at the end of round 2 anyway. It was a miracle we got him!

You can keep telling yourself that, but history shows it's not going to happen.[/QUOTE]

dallasdave likes this.
  8. Rockdoc

Rockdoc Well-Known Member

588 Messages
    320 Likes Received
    enough TEs in early rounds when we have a plethora of solid TEs
    we just need to learn how to use them
    save the money on all the resigning we have to do

9. jjktkk

jjktkk Well-Known Member

2,633 Messages
    750 Likes Received
    If the price is right, yes.

10. buybuydandavis

buybuydandavis Well-Known Member

6,249 Messages
    5,407 Likes Received
    [/QUOTE]

And you can keep telling yourself what you like.

The fact is, the last 3 years, all of our 2nd and 3rd round picks but Jaylon got significant starts their rookie season. Most of them would have gotten more starts but for injury.

11. stasheroo

48,167 Messages
    44,056 Likes Received
    And you can keep telling yourself what you like.

The fact is, the last 3 years, all of our 2nd and 3rd round picks but Jaylon got significant starts their rookie season. Most of them would have gotten more starts but for injury.[/QUOTE]

Name me the last rookie TE that started significant games.

dallasdave likes this.
  12. Hadenough

Hadenough Well-Known Member

2,392 Messages
    2,326 Likes Received
    I hate the way Dallas uses their TEs. They ask them to block way too much and dont take advantage of using them as WRs enough.

13. CowboyRoy

CowboyRoy Well-Known Member

16,823 Messages
    10,377 Likes Received
    BPA with the picks. And stop worrying about early returns or short term. Jarwin and Shultz were horrid in the blocking game. Horrid. You need a stable of TE's. This offense desperately needs a great all around TE. I am all for signing a guy like Cooks of the Raiders. Eifert was good, but always hurt.

14. stasheroo

48,167 Messages
    44,056 Likes Received
    That's where this team is. They either advance further than they did this year or there are wholesale changes. There's not another team in the league in a more win now mode than this one.

To start the season? Sure. But both got much better as the season progressed and they got more opportunities.

I don't know why people keep bringing him up. First, he's not a good guy and despite his talent, he's bounced around the league. Second, Gruden and the Raiders want him back and have much more cap room to do it than we do.

No argument there. But that's why he's available to sign. He was a top 5 TE when he played.

dallasdave likes this.
  15. CowboyRoy

16,823 Messages
    10,377 Likes Received
    Win now mode? They are the youngest team in the league. Dak is only entering his 4th year. This is a young up and coming team. Win NOW decisions are never good decisions.

Our TE's were horrid blocking all season long.

Cooks is the best TE out there in FA. He is a beast. Finally got a chance to showcase it last year. Doesn't have injury issues. I am sure they want to retain him. I would make an offer. Nothing crazy mind. 7 million. That would solve our #1 TE issue big time. He was on my fantasy team this year and I watched every game he played. The guy can ball. He is EXACTLY what we need.

16. stasheroo

48,167 Messages
    44,056 Likes Received
    I'm not advocating being reckless, but given the do or die situation for the coaching staff, they don't have the luxury of waiting seven year for a TE to develop.

Keep saying it, maybe eventually you'll believe it.

For knowing so much about him, it's funny that you can't seem to get his name right.

He's a talented guy, but a bonehead. And a malcontent. Another Martellus Bennett. And that's exactly why he's bounced around through four teams already. It's not a conincidence that he quickly wears out his welcome, despite his talents.

dallasdave likes this.
  17. CowboyRoy

16,823 Messages
    10,377 Likes Received
    Never could get the name right. Cooks, cook? Whatever. Dont know him personally. Cooper would know so if they dont sign him, maybe that is why.

And as far as blocking I watched the games and replays and they were terrible at blocking. And despite the one big game they didnt catch much either.

18. OmerV

OmerV Well-Known Member

9,043 Messages
    6,726 Likes Received
    You must have skipped the last quarter of the season. Between games 13, 14 and 16 Jarwin and Schultz collectively average almost 100 yards per game, and while the big game was a big part of that, it was far from all of it. The reality is the Cowboys didn’t start targeting those guys until late in the season, and when they finally did those guys produced. Obviously we can’t yet know what that will mean for the future, but there is certainly reason for optimism.

As for blocking, since when has that been considered Cook’s strong suit? Obviously Schultz and Jarwin need to improve, but this was the first year for either to play in the NFL. They should get better in all facets of the position.

stasheroo likes this.
  19. OmerV

OmerV Well-Known Member

9,043 Messages
    6,726 Likes Received
    Is the kind of blocking you think Cook would add?
    https://3-bp-blogspot-com.cdn.amppr...I/AAAAAAAABBc/rnpJ4rx6TJ8/s1600/811343216.gif

stasheroo likes this.
  20. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

38,528 Messages
    34,939 Likes Received
    Name me the last rookie TE that started significant games.[/QUOTE]

I'm not gung-ho to draft a TE in the 2nd, but...

Shultz started 7 games.

MartyB started 7 as a rookie.

In terms of all rookie TEs there have been many games started by rookies.

buybuydandavis likes this.