A tidbit/rumor to share

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'll preface this by saying to take it with a grain of salt. Give it as much or as little value as you see fit.

A friend of mine talks with someone with connections to the Cowboys organization, out of respect for privacy and confidentiality, I can't and won't give any names, so if you think I'm full of it, well, it won't be the first time.

But I'm told that there's talk that Jerry might make an unprecented move to keep this train going. It's been talked about the possibility of promoting Jason Garrett to the GM role and naming Kris Richard the team's head coach. It would quiet any talk of why Jones won't hire a GM and allow the team to keep a coach that the entire organization loves. Garrett would work with Will McClay on the draft and get a raise and everybody wins.

They love Richard but also love what Garrett has brought in terms of the culture of the organization and have discussed how to maintain all of that.

Again, it's second hand rumor from a friend of a friend, so take it for what it's worth. Something or nothing might come of it, but I felt it was an exciting possibility when it was shared with me so I wanted to pass it on.

ShortRound

Reaction score
I'll preface this by saying to take it with a grain of salt. Give it as much or as little value as you see fit.

A friend of mine talks with someone with connections to the Cowboys organization, out of respect for privacy and confidentiality, I can't and won't give any names, so if you think I'm full of it, well, it won't be the first time.

But I'm told that there's talk that Jerry might make an unprecented move to keep this train going. It's been talked about the possibility of promoting Jason Garrett to the GM role and naming Kris Richard the team's head coach. It would quiet any talk of why Jones won't hire a GM and allow the team to keep a coach that the entire organization loves. Garrett would work with Will McClay on the draft and get a raise and everybody wins.

They love Richard but also love what Garrett has brought in terms of the culture of the organization and have discussed how to maintain all of that.

Again, it's second hand rumor from a friend of a friend, so take it for what it's worth. Something or nothing might come of it, but I felt it was an exciting possibility when it was shared with me so I wanted to pass it on.

That would be ideal. (if we're keeping Garrett that is) Thank you for sharing.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That would be ideal. (if we're keeping Garrett that is)

I think Garrett is staying no matter what, and I can accept that. He has done a great job during this turnaround and I don't see how it's warranted to send him packing at this point.

I may be a harsh critic, but I can also give credit where credit is due. And he deserves to stick around.

And while I'd love to see something like this actually happen, even I would have a hard time believing that the team would make so many drastic infrastructure moves.

But just the same, I thought I'd share what I'd heard.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Rumors and talks happen all the time in corporate settings. It doesn't mean they will ever happen. But the possibility of that is refreshing.

That's exactly my position on it. It could have been a throwaway conversation where nothing at all comes of it.

aikemirv

Reaction score

That would mean that Jerry is reading my mind and I have not felt that connection with Jerry ever.

Although I did want Jimmy Johnson!

ShortRound

Reaction score
I think Garrett is staying no matter what, and I can accept that. He has done a great job during this turnaround and I don't see how it's warranted to send him packing at this point.

I may be a harsh critic, but I can also give credit where credit is due. And he deserves to stick around.

And while I'd love to see something like this actually happen, even I would have a hard time believing that the team would make so many drastic infrastructure moves.

But just the same, I thought I'd share what I'd heard.

I'm very harsh on him, but I will admit the positives he brings. But he needs an in game OC, it's obvious Garrett is not that.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Garrett is here because he’s an X’s And O’s guy and a motivator, nothing that translates into the GM position. At this point Jerry and Stephen are far better candidates to remain in power. Can’t see it

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Nice counter to the Richard-to-Miami rumors. Otherwise, give me a shot and a beer chaser.:(

Red Dragon

Reaction score
Would be ideal. I've been arguing a while that no matter how far the Cowboys go in the playoffs, Richards should be HC instead of Garrett. Garrett's demonstrated too many coaching flaws over the past decade for a few playoff wins to waive or dismiss. (OK, if Dallas wins the Super Bowl, I might change my mind)

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm very harsh on him, but I will admit the positives he brings. But he needs an in game OC, it's obvious Garrett is not that.

There was talk on the radio yesterday about John Harbaugh. They described him as a "CEO coach", meaning a guy that oversaw the operation but wasn't directly involved in coaching the offense, defense, or special teams. That made me think of Garrett and how his role here has changed and evolved. I'd consider him that same CEO coach, overseeing everything rather than directing any areas specifically. And I think that's his best role to be honest as he isn't and never will be a great X's and O's guy. And I believe that's why many have speculated that he'd be better in a front office role rather than on the field.