A tidbit/rumor to share

Kaiser

Reaction score
I would totally be on board with this, I posted about this kind of move for Garrett down the line before. It makes perfect sense.

The real issue is if Richard is really ready to be a Head Coach. I don't know the answer but another offer could force the issue - and Richard has more experience and pedigree than Jason Garrett did when he was installed as Head-Coach-in-Waiting. And for all the posts here, Garrett does have a winning record and has built a very solid young core that plays well together.

Coy

Reaction score
I`d love that move BUT let`s be real here, IT AIN`T HAPPENING.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Good one Stash and it's all second hand rumor. The guy from Dallas, who knows the guy from Miami, who knows the guy from Dallas. Absolute substantiated rumor. I like yours. It warms my heart on a minus 10 degree day ;)

Thanks.

It probably ends up as nothing, because let's face it, it would be a huge fundamental shift in the entire organization. But I trust the guy I got it from and I thought I'd share.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I did see where Marinelli said he'd do whatever it took to keep Richard in the fold ... Said "job titles" don't mean squat.

Not as long as it doesn't adversely affect someone's pay they don't.

If Will McClay is making "GM money" and doesn't have the same risk of getting fired that the other guys do? Yeah, you can keep the "G" and the "M" and I'll keep getting paid.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Exactly, Stephen is the Owner in Waiting and Jerry is the Strip Club Sailing the Carribean in Waiting. Both are good moves at this point.

Exactly!

Who's good with Photoshop?
MV5BMTY0NTYwMDg1MV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMjAyMjE2MQ@@._V1._CR22,1,307,418_UY268_CR7,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I'll preface this by saying to take it with a grain of salt. Give it as much or as little value as you see fit.

A friend of mine talks with someone with connections to the Cowboys organization, out of respect for privacy and confidentiality, I can't and won't give any names, so if you think I'm full of it, well, it won't be the first time.

But I'm told that there's talk that Jerry might make an unprecented move to keep this train going. It's been talked about the possibility of promoting Jason Garrett to the GM role and naming Kris Richard the team's head coach. It would quiet any talk of why Jones won't hire a GM and allow the team to keep a coach that the entire organization loves. Garrett would work with Will McClay on the draft and get a raise and everybody wins.

They love Richard but also love what Garrett has brought in terms of the culture of the organization and have discussed how to maintain all of that.

Again, it's second hand rumor from a friend of a friend, so take it for what it's worth. Something or nothing might come of it, but I felt it was an exciting possibility when it was shared with me so I wanted to pass it on.
not sure who your source is or if this is real. I mentioned that in years past, that Garrett has his positives in terms of culture and sanity he has instilled and managing Jerry (a monumental task on to its own) and that he would make a great GM. but he lacks game management experience that we all have endured and many have learned to hate.... if this is the case, it wouldn't be too bad of a move.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Thanks.

It probably ends up as nothing, because let's face it, it would be a huge fundamental shift in the entire organization. But I trust the guy I got it from and I thought I'd share.

Think about it from an owners perspective, Garrett was brought in post-Parcells when it seemed like nothing was going to rebuild the franchise. Garrett did that and we have a good young core in place.

But Richard is a guy that (if he succeeds) can take that young core and have them put their boots on opponents necks. Its a move to put the team over the top and Jerry has been making moves that (for better or worse) since the Herschel Walker trade.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
This isn’t happening. Stephen is the GM in waiting.
I think Stephen is more grounded about what he can/ can not do. where Jerry and his Ego sees himself as a GM and architect (he is still hurting from Johnson feud), Stephen has always been a finance guy and leaving football decisions to football people.

Swanny

Reaction score
I'll preface this by saying to take it with a grain of salt. Give it as much or as little value as you see fit.

A friend of mine talks with someone with connections to the Cowboys organization, out of respect for privacy and confidentiality, I can't and won't give any names, so if you think I'm full of it, well, it won't be the first time.

But I'm told that there's talk that Jerry might make an unprecented move to keep this train going. It's been talked about the possibility of promoting Jason Garrett to the GM role and naming Kris Richard the team's head coach. It would quiet any talk of why Jones won't hire a GM and allow the team to keep a coach that the entire organization loves. Garrett would work with Will McClay on the draft and get a raise and everybody wins.

They love Richard but also love what Garrett has brought in terms of the culture of the organization and have discussed how to maintain all of that.

Again, it's second hand rumor from a friend of a friend, so take it for what it's worth. Something or nothing might come of it, but I felt it was an exciting possibility when it was shared with me so I wanted to pass it on.
This would be incredible

Sydla

Reaction score
I'd be behind it but why would Garrett want to give up coaching? Unless at this point he's just ready to move on and get away from the day to day grind that a HC has to deal with?

ShiningStar

Reaction score
listen. JG is one game away from HC for life. this is not against anyone but we know how the game is played regardless what we think. JJ is handing off to SJ, one decade from now. JG is King and SJ doesnt know football anymore than his dad does. They will ride the JG train until he gives it up.

plymkr

Reaction score
I think Garrett is staying no matter what, and I can accept that. He has done a great job during this turnaround and I don't see how it's warranted to send him packing at this point.

I may be a harsh critic, but I can also give credit where credit is due. And he deserves to stick around.

And while I'd love to see something like this actually happen, even I would have a hard time believing that the team would make so many drastic infrastructure moves.

But just the same, I thought I'd share what I'd heard.
The rumor that you shared would be my dream scenario. I have been a really hard critic of Garrett for a very long time. Probably over the top with my criticisms. But I have always criticized his playbook and game day coaching. Now his drafting and building of a team has been impressive. Garrett did change the drafting strategy to bulk up the line with drafting Fredbeard, Smith, Martin, maybe not in that order but you know what I mean. I would love Garrett in a draft/scouting role and putting a team together and then let someone else take over on coaching it. I doubt this would happen cuz Jerry will always be the GM but I would be really happy if it does. Hopefully Garrett would be promoted to assistant GM or something.

On a side note. Another poster made a thread about differences he sees in Garrett as far as demeanor on the sidelines. I thought the OP of that thread had a good observation and point. Not trying to read into things that aren't there but what if Garrett already knows this is coming and that's the reason for the change in sideline demeanor.

One thing I do like tho, is Garrett is being credited for changing the culture. Regardless of some very dumb coaching moves in the past he has been the main reason the culture has changed, IMO. A very recent example of his leadership changing the culture. Garrett holding Hurns' hand as he was being worked on by the medical staff was moving. Players want to play their guts out for a man like that. He cares about the players and this wrinkles down to the players caring for each other and that makes for a team that plays to win unselfishly.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Think about it from an owners perspective, Garrett was brought in post-Parcells when it seemed like nothing was going to rebuild the franchise. Garrett did that and we have a good young core in place.

But Richard is a guy that (if he succeeds) can take that young core and have them put their boots on opponents necks. Its a move to put the team over the top and Jerry has been making moves that (for better or worse) since the Herschel Walker trade.

I'd love to see it happen, but it's a lot of unprecedented change. Having said that, I've also heard the Texans owner Bob McNair's death hit Jerry hard and has him seeing his mortality. If that's true, I can see him quite possibly changing things as a result.