A Touch of Hostility...Week 7

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Hey let me start out by personally thanking everyone who has sent PMs and responded nicely to me in the thread last night about selective amnesia. You don't know how much it meant and means to me. I even got a couple of messages from folks who I assumed didn't like me too much. It was nice.

Quick update on my Mom. She is getting MRIs and scans as we speak. There is a possible blood clot in her leg. Last night she had fevers as high as 103. For those who do not know, last year in October she got some open wounds on her legs. They do not know what caused them but they started small and got very big. Finally in late May the Doctors and hospitals in New Mexico could do no more for her and on June 5th I went and got her. I brought her here so I could take care of her. Since that date she has had 6 surgeries and is not done. She has been in a hospital or a nursing home all but 22 days since June 5th.

Needless to say I really needed this season to be a pick me up. For those who remember I lost my Dad in October of 2008, our last disappointing season. It just isn't meant to be.

Okay, enough about my worries. I have been dead wrong about this football team and I will take all of the abuse I am due for defending them that you want to give me. However, I will not apologize for my optimism. We have players who are talented enough to be one of the best teams in the NFL. There is no excuse for this. I lay it right at the door of coaching.

I'm not superstitious, but I'm superstitious. Every time I bet on the Cowboys it turns out bad. I did that this year, betting a fan on here that they would go 10-6 or better this year. They still could but the odds of that are slim and none and slim left town.

Kudos to the New York Giants. They are the first team we have played who legitimately just beat the crap out of us. If we had won last night, to me it would be no different than the way we have lost, just the shoe on the other foot. If you want my honest opinion, right now I think the Giants are the class of the NFC. They played the kind of football I love. They overcame early mistakes and took command.

The Cowboys could be in the cat bird seat but they started the season too slow and it was merely a prelude to the grave.

It was kind of nice to see us swipe the ball for a change. We kept the penalties to 5. All the things we have been pissing and moaning about wnt our way except the end result. Sucks to be us.

The first thing I want to say is for all of those who have downplayed how good Tony Romo is, pay attention. You're about to find out just how good. This team is going nowhere without him. Jon Kitna and Tony Romo are the same height, but Kitna releases he ball at what I call 3/4 high and I swear it is about 6 inches lower than Romo. Expect to see a lot of passes knocked down.

I really do not like our backup QBs. I said it in preseason and I really don't now. Kitna is simply not mobile and this line is not good enough to adapt to that. I won't be shocked to see McGee before the year ends and I don't expect him to do any better. The simple fact is, Tony Romo is a great QB and his loss hurts.

There will be weekly threads replacing Wade. This is a fact that we should all get used to. Wade is done in Dallas, but he probably is going to ride the season out. Jerry is not going to fire him mid season. He is simply too loyal. There are good and bad things about that.

There will be plenty of calls for Gruden, Cowher, and a plethora of ideas. I still believe the job is Jason Garrett's and I am thrilled about it. People will ask me why. I will repeat what I have said dozens of times. I have wanted him to be our Head Coach since he was our 3rd string QB. I believe he has the "it" factor of coaching. Some guys are better Coordinators than they are Head Coaches. I believe he is the opposite. Like Sean Payton, he will be a better Head Coach than Coordinator.

Continuing along coaching angles for now. I was not happy when we hired Dave Campo back. Last night I wanted to punch him on the Hicks TD over Sensabaugh. There is no excuse for that alignment. We finally get takeaways and it got wasted on soft coverage.

Last night when Witten had his false start I started thinking for a minute that the problem is Gurode. Maybe these guys are going on the right count after all and he forgets to snap it. That of course is impossible since only 1 man moves. Houck is another coach who should be purged after this season. I like the guys he has, but they are not playing as a unit. In particular the run blocking is simply below par. That is why we throw the ball so much.

When you talk about the importance of blocking one play stands out. I feel really bad for Chris "The Gronka Truck" Gronkowski today. He's never going to hear the end of that missed block. One reason teams avoid playing rookies is because rookies get lost. Unfortunately for Gronk, he got lost at the worst possible time. I honestly believe that with Romo we could have won that game. Losing him was deflating to the entire team.

Deflating is a key word. I would be very tempted to deflate the season. Also known as tanking it. I hate the idea of last place in the NFC East, but right now I believe the higher draft picks and 4th place schedule could be more useful than minor moral victories with some token wins.

I want to end on a high note. There is really only one. His name is Dez Bryant. Imagine what he can do once he fully understands the playbook. What he did last night folks was on raw ability. That is how unbelievably talented this kid is. We got to see the tip of the iceberg. There's still a lot more underneath the surface waiting to see the light of day.

With Romo at the helm this is a machine that can be driven to a checkered flag. Without him this is a machine that needs to be pushed to get it off the track. The engine stalled.

Bring on the crow and bring on the Draft. Bon appetit.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
It will be a rough season with Kitna at the helm. We might go 6-10 at best. That sucks, although if we Get a high pick it may be somewhat soothing.

Btw, all the best to your mom.

JPM

Reaction score
Hey Hos, hope your mom gets better. All my best to you guys.

Mansta54

Reaction score
Glad to hear things are better with your moms. Don't sleep on Kitna though, the dude has heart and plays with a edge. He will fight and take control of the offense. We will see the ball go downfield, he has a live arm and is confident in using it...

locked&loaded

Reaction score
I hope everything works out with your mom.

Im not going into everything I think should be done to this team, there has been a few different friends where ive stated my beliefs, right now all Im thinking is how much it sucks looking forward to the draft already...

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your Mom. She will be in our prayers.

Right now I all of us Cowboy fans are eating some crow. None of us thought this season was going to play out like this. Almost all of us figured we would at least make the playoffs.

craig71

Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
Reaction score
Hostile;3651547 said:
Hey let me start out by personally thanking everyone who has sent PMs and responded nicely to me in the thread last night about selective amnesia. You don't know how much it meant and means to me. I even got a couple of messages from folks who I assumed didn't like me too much. It was nice.

Quick update on my Mom. She is getting MRIs and scans as we speak. There is a possible blood clot in her leg. Last night she had fevers as high as 103. For those who do not know, last year in October she got some open wounds on her legs. They do not know what caused them but they started small and got very big. Finally in late May the Doctors and hospitals in New Mexico could do no more for her and on June 5th I went and got her. I brought her here so I could take care of her. Since that date she has had 6 surgeries and is not done. She has been in a hospital or a nursing home all but 22 days since June 5th.

Needless to say I really needed this season to be a pick me up. For those who remember I lost my Dad in October of 2008, our last disappointing season. It just isn't meant to be.

Okay, enough about my worries. I have been dead wrong about this football team and I will take all of the abuse I am due for defending them that you want to give me. However, I will not apologize for my optimism. We have players who are talented enough to be one of the best teams in the NFL. There is no excuse for this. I lay it right at the door of coaching.

I'm not superstitious, but I'm superstitious. Every time I bet on the Cowboys it turns out bad. I did that this year, betting a fan on here that they would go 10-6 or better this year. They still could but the odds of that are slim and none and slim left town.

Kudos to the New York Giants. They are the first team we have played who legitimately just beat the crap out of us. If we had won last night, to me it would be no different than the way we have lost, just the shoe on the other foot. If you want my honest opinion, right now I think the Giants are the class of the NFC. They played the kind of football I love. They overcame early mistakes and took command.

The Cowboys could be in the cat bird seat but they started the season too slow and it was merely a prelude to the grave.

It was kind of nice to see us swipe the ball for a change. We kept the penalties to 5. All the things we have been pissing and moaning about wnt our way except the end result. Sucks to be us.

The first thing I want to say is for all of those who have downplayed how good Tony Romo is, pay attention. You're about to find out just how good. This team is going nowhere without him. Jon Kitna and Tony Romo are the same height, but Kitna releases he ball at what I call 3/4 high and I swear it is about 6 inches lower than Romo. Expect to see a lot of passes knocked down.

I really do not like our backup QBs. I said it in preseason and I really don't now. Kitna is simply not mobile and this line is not good enough to adapt to that. I won't be shocked to see McGee before the year ends and I don't expect him to do any better. The simple fact is, Tony Romo is a great QB and his loss hurts.

There will be weekly threads replacing Wade. This is a fact that we should all get used to. Wade is done in Dallas, but he probably is going to ride the season out. Jerry is not going to fire him mid season. He is simply too loyal. There are good and bad things about that.

There will be plenty of calls for Gruden, Cowher, and a plethora of ideas. I still believe the job is Jason Garrett's and I am thrilled about it. People will ask me why. I will repeat what I have said dozens of times. I have wanted him to be our Head Coach since he was our 3rd string QB. I believe he has the "it" factor of coaching. Some guys are better Coordinators than they are Head Coaches. I believe he is the opposite. Like Sean Payton, he will be a better Head Coach than Coordinator.

Continuing along coaching angles for now. I was not happy when we hired Dave Campo back. Last night I wanted to punch him on the Hicks TD over Sensabaugh. There is no excuse for that alignment. We finally get takeaways and it got wasted on soft coverage.

Last night when Witten had his false start I started thinking for a minute that the problem is Gurode. Maybe these guys are going on the right count after all and he forgets to snap it. That of course is impossible since only 1 man moves. Houck is another coach who should be purged after this season. I like the guys he has, but they are not playing as a unit. In particular the run blocking is simply below par. That is why we throw the ball so much.

When you talk about the importance of blocking one play stands out. I feel really bad for Chris "The Gronka Truck" Gronkowski today. He's never going to hear the end of that missed block. One reason teams avoid playing rookies is because rookies get lost. Unfortunately for Gronk, he got lost at the worst possible time. I honestly believe that with Romo we could have won that game. Losing him was deflating to the entire team.

Deflating is a key word. I would be very tempted to deflate the season. Also known as tanking it. I hate the idea of last place in the NFC East, but right now I believe the higher draft picks and 4th place schedule could be more useful than minor moral victories with some token wins.

I want to end on a high note. There is really only one. His name is Dez Bryant. Imagine what he can do once he fully understands the playbook. What he did last night folks was on raw ability. That is how unbelievably talented this kid is. We got to see the tip of the iceberg. There's still a lot more underneath the surface waiting to see the light of day.

With Romo at the helm this is a machine that can be driven to a checkered flag. Without him this is a machine that needs to be pushed to get it off the track. The engine stalled.

Bring on the crow and bring on the Draft. Bon appetit.

First and foremost I hope that your mother makes a full recovery.

I also think that you make some good points about this football team. Campo and Houck need to go, that is for sure. Call me crazy but I too would like to see Garrett get a shot here in Dallas as the head man. And Dez, well he has the makings of something special. Kitna better have his iron man suit on, he might well need it.

Now Hos, what you need to do now is go listen to fake Wade and Jerry and try to muster a laugh or two. I posted the link in a thread earlier today.

Craig

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
Hostile;3651547 said:
I still believe the job is Jason Garrett's and I am thrilled about it. Like Sean Payton, he will be a better Head Coach than Coordinator.
It's hard to see how he'd be better if he had to do both jobs, so I'm assuming you think he'd bring in someone to help.

LongSnapper

Reaction score
I dont feel good either nice post I lost both of my parents at an early age and I feel your sorrow hang in there dude and always cherrish the fondest of memories

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
Nice read. Other than the part about Garrett, I agree with the OP. With respect to Garrett, even if I felt the same way about his abilities, I think this entire organization needs a fresh start, and that includes all the coaches and as many veteran players as is feasible.

Bob Sturm said that Gurode snaps the ball whenever he pleases, and from watching how uncoordinated the snap looks sometimes, I tend to agree with him. Unlike some, I won't bash Gurode for the personal foul he got. I thought that was exactly the kind of aggression the team needs.

On a side note, I hate the 1st and 10/15 yard penalty rule. That happens, it should be first and 25. If that happens on another down, they don't automatically reduce it to 2nd and 6 or 8 or whatever. Nonsensical rule.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Hostile;3651547 said:

Doesn't Wade call the defense and therefore the defensive alignments? Why would Campo be the goat here?

visionary

Reaction score
My thoughts and prayers to your family Hos.

Agree on all counts re: cowboys, all world talent but no discipline and drive.

TR is great, hopefully he mends well and returns to form next year

Dez is great but will need discipline to reach his potential

I am not sold on garrett but i am afraid that is what is in store for us since he is "in the family portrait". What we need is a good house cleaning and we wont get that with Garrett. Lord help us.

Duane

Reaction score
Best of luck and a speedy recovery for your mother.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
Good post Hos, I think its about time to start playing some of the younger guys to see what we have in them.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Hope all is well for you, your mom, and your family.

One thing regarding Jason is that the perception will be he's another Jerry puppet. This organization needs to react and shake things up.

Jerry needs to fire the enire staff and let the next Head Coach hire his entire staff. You know, like the other 31 teams. We need a coach with a big enough personality to handle the pressure of coaching America's Team, to be able to manage the stars on this team, and most importantly, keep the Owner out of coaching decisions. No more Jerry talking about whether Felix will gets more carries. Let the coach do his job.

JBond

Reaction score
Jarv;3651621 said:
Good post Hos, I think its about time to start playing some of the younger guys to see what we have in them.

Yep. Alternate Felix and Choice as the starters each game. Start Dez and start working in our younger LB's and OL guys. Might as well figure out if they can play, since the season is done.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
Great post, Hos. Just wanted to touch on one thing...

Hostile;3651547 said:

I think that Dez Bryant, until he fully learns everything, should just be given a route.

If they call a play, then should put Dez in there and say "hey, run a 2" or "Dez, just run a 7."

Get him the ball in space and watch him annihilate the competition.

sonnyboy

Benched
Reaction score
All the best for your Mom.

Quiters quit! Losers lose. And both are habit forming.

Those "token wins" are huge.

I won't kill the team, especially the defesne for the 2nd and 3rd quarters last night. You hit the nail on the head on that deflated feeling. It was all over and the team couldn't help it.

But I don't want to see that again. I want this team to fight til week 17. Makes no difference if Wade goes or stays, finishing strong will be much more beneficial than a top 5 pick.

Adversity often brings out the best in people, players, teams.

What if that happens here?

What if this defense plays lights out the next 6 weeks?

What if Kitna is at least decent over that time and we squeez out 3 wins?

Wouldn't it be great to see this team at 4-8 with Romo back in charge and a even a remote shot at the post season?