A True 46 defense is our best option

Cowboys&Caps

Reaction score
A true 46 defense has....
*4 down lineman
*2 linebackers
*2 safety's (playing much like outside linebackers always close to line of scrimage, one or both in pass rush)
*3 corner type's (one is technically a safety, but usually a man to man cover corner type)

The way i see the cowboys going at this is having...
Ellis/Spears first team DE
Glover/Furgy first team DT
Nguyen/James first team ILB
Roy/Ware first team pass rushing/line of scrimmage safety's
Henry/Newman first team corner
Glenn first team free safety(another corner)

this may cause some problems w/ substitutions and there are some unknowns such as Ware playing alot of minutes. But i think that if we have another versatile DT somewhere on this roster then we would have the kind of depth that would allow us to put this very talented defense on the field, and hopefully yeild some results close to those of the 85/86 Bears 46 defense

let me know what you think

calico

Reaction score
The 46 is my favorite type of D. If Zimmer was confused when first trying to learn the 3-4...well, here is what would happen if he got his hands on a 46 playbook

exploding-head.gif

Cowboys&Caps

Reaction score
haha, sadly its true i just think that if we could do this we could get some incredible pressure on the qb, yet still be able to cover w/o too much trouble. Which is the balance defenses are always locked in.

Payton34Smith22

Reaction score
I like the 4-3 Defense myself.

LE-Elliss
LT-Glover
RT-Ferg
RE-Spears

WSLB-James/Burnett
MLB- Dat
SSLB-Ware

RCB-Henry
LCB-Newman

SS-Glenn
FS-Williams

I would love to see what that D could on the field! :eek:hboy:

Cowboys&Caps

Reaction score
i will give you that.... im suggesting essentially the same thing with the exeption of Roy being 90 precent outside linebacker(pass rush especially)

NorthDalal

Reaction score
The "46" was made ineffective by offensive adjustments, particularly by mobile, quick throwing/quick read, offenses most noteably the "West Coast Offense" I believe Andy Reid Mike Holmgren and Steve Mariucci are still in the league and.....correct me if I'm wrong, I believe Buddy Ryan isn't available this week.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Payton34smith22 said:
I like the 4-3 Defense myself.

LE-Elliss
LT-Glover
RT-Ferg
RE-Spears

WSLB-James/Burnett
MLB- Dat
SSLB-Ware

RCB-Henry
LCB-Newman

SS-Glenn
FS-Williams

I would love to see what that D could on the field! :eek:hboy:

I agree. I think a lot is going to depend on what we see from Spears/Canty in the pre-season. Much of the reason we were looking to shift from a 4-3 had to do with the difficulty of finding a DE who could pressure from the 4-3. If we can do that with this lineup, we're free to switch between the two as the gameplan calls for it, and make a gradual shift over two seasons.

Cowboys&Caps

Reaction score
NorthDalal said:
The "46" was made ineffective by offensive adjustments, particularly by mobile, quick throwing/quick read, offenses most noteably the "West Coast Offense" I believe Andy Reid Mike Holmgren and Steve Mariucci are still in the league and.....correct me if I'm wrong, I believe Buddy Ryan isn't available this week.

defenses and offenses are forever shifting, almost never is a simple defensive formation that puts people in position to make plays completly negated by current offenses, all that must happen is the correct play calls and coaching to put players in the right positions. To say that Offensive adjustments have completly negated the 46 is somewhat narrow minded,there is alot more to it.

it may work, it may not, but we may also never see. a 46 is not much diffrent from a 4-3, or that from a 3-4 its all very similar, and i think a 46 might field our best talent, just my honest opinion

KDWilliams85

Reaction score
A genuine 4-6 defense is an extreme defensive liability.

Ten men in the box is just begging to be beat deep on.

As for the "true" 46 defense, there's a name for that. It's called the Nickel defense.

Eddie

Reaction score
What an amazing idea! Let's implement the 46 .... hmm, it's ONLY been, what, 20 years since a 46 D won a Super Bowl?

I have a better idea, since we're digging up dinasaurs, let's go back to the Flex. :bang2:

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
KDWilliams85 said:

As for the "true" 46 defense, there's a name for that. It's called the Nickel defense.

Basically, we ran a 46 last year when we played 0 coverage schemes.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You bring Roy Williams up as another linebacker and you've got a 46 defense. But that other safety and your two corners had better be able to cover.

blindzebra

Reaction score
Parcells said he does not like to blitz.

He said he thought Zimmer's scheme was too aggressive in that reguard.

Aggressive scale:

|..0..|..1..|..2..|..3..|..4..|..5..|..6..|..7..|..8..|..9..|..10..|
Zimmer.................................................................................... The 46

Some 46 looks maybe, it happening as a base, no way.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
NorthDalal said:

Its esentially an obsolete defense and has been for a long time.

blindzebra

Reaction score
KDWilliams85 said:

***?

It's a defensive liability, susceptible to the deep pass so it's the nickel defense?

Learn some football, stat.:rolleyes:

Reaction score
Any defense the Cowboys put on the field this year will be better than last year for one simple reason... Marcelus Wiley. I am not joking, when he was on the field they were really playing a 3-3 defense, the extra man whether 4-3 or 3-4 will be the difference maker.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki said:
You bring Roy Williams up as another linebacker and you've got a 46 defense. But that other safety and your two corners had better be able to cover.

Your right. They have to be able to cover for 20 yards and they have to be able to run. If they can do that, then you can play the 46. There is so much pressure that if the ball is not out in that time, it's very likely the QB will be running for his life, at that point.

CalMor

Reaction score
Nors said:
Its esentially an obsolete defense and has been for a long time.

Last year I would agree but the Ravens will be sporting the "46" defense this year. (Or so I read...heard)

TheHustler

Reaction score
Drederick Tatum said:
Any defense the Cowboys put on the field this year will be better than last year for one simple reason... Marcelus Wiley. I am not joking, when he was on the field they were really playing a 3-3 defense, the extra man whether 4-3 or 3-4 will be the difference maker.

haha. that is an excellent point.

TheHustler

Reaction score
CalMor said:
Last year I would agree but the Ravens will be sporting the "46" defense this year. (Or so I read...heard)

I think the ravens are going to be playing a 4-3....