AAF football operations will be suspended

cowboyfan4lyfe

Reaction score
Seems like they screwed themselves by not getting the NFL more involved and not having enough money. They rushed this way too fast. Great news for the XFL.
My question is what kind of agreement did the NFL have with this league? And to what extent? They were broadcasting the games on their channel. I also heard the Players Union refused to let players on the Taxi squad participate in the new league. Did the NFL bailed when this happened?

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Scouting them wouldn't help much without a developmental league. Many may have potential, but such a small fraction could make a NFL roster. With limited roster spots, reps, practice time, etc. it is a huge longshot at best.

Yes, but is it not possible that the International Leagues could be used as pseudo-development league? It'd take a bit of work, I assume, but I think it could be done. Better than having these other leagues completely starting from scratch. The International Leagues already have a fan base as it is.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
SAN FRANCISCO, Calif. - March 20, 2019 - The Alliance of American Football announced today that the 2019 Alliance Championship will be played in Ford Center at The Star in Frisco, Texas. Owned and operated by Jerry Jones and the Dallas Cowboys, The Star is a state-of-the-art, 510,000-square-foot indoor athletic facility shared with the Dallas Cowboys, the city of Frisco and the Frisco Independent School District. The Alliance Championship, which was originally scheduled to be played in Las Vegas, will be broadcast on CBS Television Network in primetime on Saturday, April 27 at 8 pm ET.
dont know if this was canceled, but this was put out march 20th
https://aaf.com/schedule
nothing about stopping at their site.
“Darren Rovell of the Action Network first reported Tuesday that the first-year league, with teams including the Memphis Express, would cease operations.

Neither Express general manager Kosha Irby nor Liberty Bowl general manager Thomas Carrier returned calls seeking comment. The AAF has yet to release any statement on its fate.”

https://www.tallahassee.com/story/s...ue-suspend-operations-per-reports/3343204002/

Diehardblues

Reaction score
My question is what kind of agreement did the NFL have with this league? And to what extent? They were broadcasting the games on their channel. I also heard the Players Union refused to let players on the Taxi squad participate in the new league. Did the NFL bailed when this happened?
That’s what it sounded like.

The Alliance needed an influx of players and the NFL refused apparently. Or I should say the NFLPU refused.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
Yes, but is it not possible that the International Leagues could be used as pseudo-development league? It'd take a bit of work, I assume, but I think it could be done. Better than having these other leagues completely starting from scratch. The International Leagues already have a fan base as it is.

Not really, they are very far behind, the level of competition, coaching, knowledge etc. is quite a bit below being able to make that jump from some random International League straight to the NFL and play against the very best. Most guys in the NFL have been playing, training and learning the sport since they were young. Rolf Heisenberg may look good playing against Wolfgang Humdekker, but that doesn't mean he'll look good against even a practice squad level NFL player. Look at some of the big star college players that couldn't cut it at the NFL level. International players may have the raw athletic ability that make them look intriguing, but so does Rico. Rico would look like Gronk playing against poor Wolfgang. The guys with potential will be hard placed to get reps, practice time or the coaching needed to reach that potential before they would get cut. A couple injuries happen and an NFL team has to make roster moves to help the team now, so poor Rolf gets cut.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Not really, they are very far behind, the level of competition, coaching, knowledge etc. is quite a bit below being able to make that jump from some random International League straight to the NFL and play against the very best. Most guys in the NFL have been playing, training and learning the sport since they were young. Rolf Heisenberg may look good playing against Wolfgang Humdekker, but that doesn't mean he'll look good against even a practice squad level NFL player. Look at some of the big star college players that couldn't cut it at the NFL level. International players may have the raw athletic ability that make them look intriguing, but so does Rico. Rico would look like Gronk playing against poor Wolfgang. The guys with potential will be hard placed to get reps, practice time or the coaching needed to reach that potential before they would get cut. A couple injuries happen and an NFL team has to make roster moves to help the team now, so poor Rolf gets cut.

Fair point, but is that not why there is the extra spot on the PS for international players? I would think we could use that to our advantage if we should find a player from say the Japanese league or the German League that we think has potential.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Yeah initially I thought they were a minor league for the league. But it seems the involvement was not there. Like it was there at a distance. Sure if you are successful we will take credit for what you've done but if something bad happens like....you run out of money? We want nothing to do with you.

dallasdave

Reaction score
Fair point, but is that not why there is the extra spot on the PS for international players? I would think we could use that to our advantage if we should find a player from say the Japanese league or the German League that we think has potential.
Maybe Vince and the XFL will take over this league too.,, Some of the best minds in the business with WWE could maybe save this league.

Rayman70

Reaction score
There was a time the afl was little more than a burr under the NFL's saddle. But the little burr grew. Nfl won't repeat that mistake. Seasons are irrelevant. It's still football.
hey cern...off topic, but How big can west texas jack rabbits get? MAN ALIVE, I saw something I thought was a wolf or large cat...ie mountain lion, but I grabbed my binoculoars and looked. It was a massive Jack rabbit! lol...I live in the boonies and anyway, this thing looked like the size of a medium sized dog! lol...unbelievable. Long snout...almost like a kangaroo. weird stuff. I just love wildlife and nature cern...especially when its in my back yard lol..Give me some info on these wabbits lol...

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
That's good thinking--thinking outside the box. Puttyism @waldoputty

Exactly right. Sure, the international players might not yet be up to scratch for our liking, but even a season on our practice squad would have to do them good.

According to this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Practice_squad

International players[edit]
The practice squad has also been used by the NFL and their teams as a way to bring in and train players from outside the United States or Canada, where gridiron football is not a popular sport. The NFL has operated programs in which selected international players were assigned to teams' practice squads as an extra member who did not count towards a team's maximum practice squad size.

The first, called the International Practice Squad Program, began operation in 2004.[20] In 2005, Rolando Cantu of Mexico was promoted to the Arizona Cardinals' active roster after spending the previous season on the practice squad as a member of the program.[21]Players from the United Kingdom, France, Germany, Finland, Sweden, Japan, and Russia also participated.[20] In 2008, the program sponsored sixteen players, the largest number ever.[21] The program was discontinued for 2009. The rule allowing for an extra practice squad player of international origin, however, remained in the NFL's rulebook and teams attempted to use the rule even after the demise of the program. For example, in 2013 the Detroit Lions attempted to use it to add Norwegian kicker Håvard Rugland to their practice squad, but were rejected by the NFL, which stated that the rule was meant to be used for players from NFL Europe, which folded after the 2007 season.[22]

A new program, the International Player Pathway, was created in 2017. This new initiative started as a trial involving only NFC South teams. Each team in the division was allowed to sign one international player to its practice squad who would not count against the normal 10-player limit, but would not be eligible to be activated during the season after being signed.[23] The pathway was expanded to eight teams (NFC South and AFC North) for the 2018 season.[24]

Additionally, several international players have tried to find their starts in the NFL through spending time on teams practice squads without having been part of these programs, such as Efe Obada, Moritz Böhringer, and Jarryd Hayne.

So, if we were to bring in a player from an International League and stash him on our practice squad, he would not count against our maximum practice squad size. Since we need a safety, let's say, hypothetically, we signed Manuel Schimpfhauser (https://www.munich-cowboys.de/mc-gfl-team/schimpfhauser-2018-ein-cowboy/) who plays DB for the Munich Cowboys. We could stash him on our practice squad for a year, and it would not count against our PS count because he'd be designated as an international player. That way, he can learn our system without costing us a roster spot. Then, the next training camp, if he turns out to be doing extremely well, we would end up finding a highly talented safety prospect. If not, we lost nothing, but planted the seed for a potentially better prospect in the future. That's a way to cultivate an international league, and essentially turn it into a minor league system without spending any money on the league.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Maybe Vince and the XFL will take over this league too.,, Some of the best minds in the business with WWE could maybe save this league.

I suppose the XFL could save the American side of the developmental leagues. Just not sure how much better it'll do than the AAF.

Rayman70

Reaction score
THE NFL is like the Mob Boss that runs the smaller competing mobster operations outta business and then reaps the rewards of the spoils..then gets bigger and monopolizes the area of interest. That's been the case since the 1970's til now. You can't compete with any business organization that's got tentacles globally and money flowing like water from a tap.lol… It was always gonna be a failed undertaking by the AAF. XFL won't do that much better. I give them 3 years tops. I am being generous.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
THE NFL is like the Mob Boss that runs the smaller competing mobster operations outta business and then reaps the rewards of the spoils..then gets bigger and monopolizes the area of interest. That's been the case since the 1970's til now. You can't compete with any business organization that's got tentacles globally and money flowing like water from a tap.lol… It was always gonna be a failed undertaking by the AAF. XFL won't do that much better. I give them 3 years tops. I am being generous.

I think they'll be lucky to make 2 years, the XFL. It's insane how the NFL runs that sort of thing. It's a pity too, because they could find it in their interest to work with some of these leagues to help serve as a minor league, rather than the practice squad system currently in use. As the NFL doesn't see it that way, I think the Cowboys should take advantage of the international rule every year with the PS and see what we can find that way.

cern

Reaction score
hey cern...off topic, but How big can west texas jack rabbits get? MAN ALIVE, I saw something I thought was a wolf or large cat...ie mountain lion, but I grabbed my binoculoars and looked. It was a massive Jack rabbit! lol...I live in the boonies and anyway, this thing looked like the size of a medium sized dog! lol...unbelievable. Long snout...almost like a kangaroo. weird stuff. I just love wildlife and nature cern...especially when its in my back yard lol..Give me some info on these wabbits lol...
They're big. Up to 2 feet long. Weigh up to 8 or 9 lbs. When you scare them up, they run for a while before they start hopping. Taste like crap. They're actually hares, not rabbits.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
To develop international players they need a lot more coaching on basic fundamentals, technique, football strategy, probably a lot of other things we take for granted. To really develop them, they need reps and real playing time and that's just not something they will get enough of as a PS player. NFL teams are already limited in practice time in training players that are "NFL ready", much less players still learning the game.

Rayman70

Reaction score
I think they'll be lucky to make 2 years, the XFL. It's insane how the NFL runs that sort of thing. It's a pity too, because they could find it in their interest to work with some of these leagues to help serve as a minor league, rather than the practice squad system currently in use. As the NFL doesn't see it that way, I think the Cowboys should take advantage of the international rule every year with the PS and see what we can find that way.
its just greed by Goodell and the owners & sponsors. Take money outta the equation, and clearly the product the AAF put onto the field was pretty dang good. The NFL simply felt threatened and didn't wanna give up a piece of the football/profit pie. Its simple math in the end. GREED.