About that bastidge Jerry hiring an OC...

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
Before hiring a head coach... some of you have your panties ALL in a wad over that... well, I'm here to tell you that your position is asnine...

You see, there are two frontrunners for the head coach job right now, and both of them seem to be completely on board with having Jason in place...

The first is Wade Phillips, who had this to say about working with Jason:

Should Garrett, 40, not be named head coach, it could create an awkward situation for whomever will be named coach, but Phillips said it would not be an issue for him.

"It's cool," Phillips said. "Jason is a great guy. It shouldn't be a problem. I've heard lots of good things about him."

http://cowboyszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79601

The other top candidate is Norv Turner, and he tried to hire Jason as an assistant coach for the Raiders back in 2004... clearly, he thinks that Garrett has something to offer...

So, it doesn't look like either of the frontrunners for the head coach job has the same reservations you Jerry haters do about the hiring of Jason Garrett...

Of course, that won't stop any of you Jerry haters from p*ssing and moaning about the whole deal...

dmoore

Reaction score
You know what? I wouldn't be that upset if Garrett ends up getting the head coaching position. Sure he lacks experience, but I think he could bring a lot of excitement to the franchise. I'd rather have a young guy like him who could be with us for a long time (like Cowher in PIT), than another guy who's on his last go-around in the league. At least with Garrett we've securred if not our next head coach, but a guy that could be a head coach a few years down the line if things workout that way. Right now I'm hoping Turner gets the job, but I'm glad we have Garrett in our coaching staff. Whoever we end up picking, however, I'm going to stand behind Jerry Jones decision. This team is too close to winning a super bowl for me to lose my support in management or the new coaching staff.

sk0aL

Reaction score
I don't mind Garrett as an OC but I don't like the idea of him being thrust into the role of HC with no prior experience. Being the HC of an NFL football team is an extremely demanding and exhausting job, let alone being the head coach of the Dallas Cowboys. All eyes are always on you.

I think this team right now needs a seasoned NFL veteran coach that knows the ropes and won't be prone to shell-shock like I think Jason might be.

amuze

Reaction score
You gotta think that JJ is waiting for the SB to finish so he can pounce on Rivera. Given that he's the current DC, would make good sense to bring him in since we just hired our OC. If Norv or Phillips was going to be our guy, don't you think they would have been hired already?

Aikbach

Reaction score
No Rivera, two year deals don't go to young prospects only old interims.

cowboyjack

Reaction score
Has anyone considered Avery Johnson of the Dallas Mavericks? He had no head coaching experience and very little coaching experience to speak of, yet he was coach of the year last year in the NBA. If you got it, you got it and it sounds like Jason Garrett has it.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
cowboyjack;1339670 said:
Has anyone considered Avery Johnson of the Dallas Mavericks? He had no head coaching experience and very little coaching experience to speak of, yet he was coach of the year last year in the NBA. If you got it, you got it and it sounds like Jason Garrett has it.

I don't think Avery Johnson would be a good choice for HC of the Cowboys. :p: ;)

VA Cowboy

Benched
Reaction score
I doubt Phillips or Turner would mind....afterall, they'd just be thrilled someone would actually offer them a HC job again. I'm pretty sure Switzer, Gailey and Campo were just happy to be here too.

superpunk

Reaction score
You want to know what's really asinine? DO YOU?!?!?! Spelling "asinine" with only one "i"!!!!

But seriously....boo Norv Turner and Wade Phillips.

cowboyjack;1339670 said:
Has anyone considered Avery Johnson of the Dallas Mavericks?

I think he'd be a terrible head coach. The Cowboys play football.

edit; late....BrainPaint is too wiley.

DipChit

Reaction score
silverbear;1339468 said:
Before hiring a head coach... some of you have your panties ALL in a wad over that... well, I'm here to tell you that your position is asnine...

You see, there are two frontrunners for the head coach job right now, and both of them seem to be completely on board with having Jason in place...

The other top candidate is Norv Turner, and he tried to hire Jason as an assistant coach for the Raiders back in 2004... clearly, he thinks that Garrett has something to offer...

So, it doesn't look like either of the frontrunners for the head coach job has the same reservations you Jerry haters do about the hiring of Jason Garrett...

Of course, that won't stop any of you Jerry haters from p*ssing and moaning about the whole deal...

Yeah those 2 particular guys wouldnt have a beef with it because they're more or less desperate for HC jobs regardless.

Wade has always made it known he wants to be an HC. He's no Jim Johnson that was totally content in being a DC forever.

So with that said, why do you suppose it is that Wades only been an HC for 5 total years out of the 30 he's been in the league?

And Norv isnt much different.

hank2k

Reaction score
silverbear;1339468 said:

The two " frontrunners" are both 2 time losers who arent being interviewed for any other head coach jobs, so YOUR point is...pointless.

What happened to us being the Dallas Cowboys and hiring the BEST possible candidate ,not desperate guys willing to kowtow to Jerrys stupid demands.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Why do people assume he is not waiting till he can interview members of the Superbowl staffs?

If he was gonna get someone who was already available ...... would he not have already done it ?

I understand why the "Bash Jerry no matter what" crowd is doing it ..... but the rest of ya should stop and think a sec.

ndanger

Reaction score
DipChit;1339697 said:
Yeah those 2 particular guys wouldnt have a beef with it because they're more or less desperate for HC jobs regardless.

Wade has always made it known he wants to be an HC. He's no Jim Johnson that was totally content in being a DC forever.

So with that said, why do you suppose it is that Wades only been an HC for 5 total years out of the 30 he's been in the league?

And Norv isnt much different.

When there are only 32 HC positions in the world and 32 owners who want to win now supported by a fan base who only cares about winning in a league thats wants parity a players union and players who are all about money it's easy to see.Not using commas was done on purpose to deflect attention away from the original idea of the post and make the haters even hate more.

StanleySpadowski

Reaction score
silverbear;1339468 said:

The other factor one must look at is other potential OCs out there. If Phillips did get the Dallas job, who would he bring in as an OC. San Diego's OC got a head coach position. You'd have to think that it hampers Phillips' ability to grab an up and comer off San Diego's staff because they'd tab him first.

Turner being an OC now is basically the same thing. If there was a "getter" on the staff in SF right now, SF would be the front runner rather than packing up and moving to Dallas.

DipChit

Reaction score
ndanger;1339746 said:
When there are only 32 HC positions in the world and 32 owners who want to win now supported by a fan base who only cares about winning in a league thats wants parity a players union and players who are all about money it's easy to see.Not using commas was done on purpose to deflect attention away from the original idea of the post and make the haters even hate more.

Oh I dont think those reasons you cite are the reason why a guy like Wade hasnt gotten more action.

Like I say he's been around since '76 or so when he started coaching LB's in Houston.

DC Cowboy

Reaction score
sk0aL;1339486 said:
I don't mind Garrett as an OC but I don't like the idea of him being thrust into the role of HC with no prior experience. Being the HC of an NFL football team is an extremely demanding and exhausting job, let alone being the head coach of the Dallas Cowboys. All eyes are always on you.

I think this team right now needs a seasoned NFL veteran coach that knows the ropes and won't be prone to shell-shock like I think Jason might be.

What makes you think he would be shell-shocked?

Next_years_Champs

Reaction score
silverbear;1339468 said:

Oh yeah I see you point after all it worked so well the other times Jones selected the coordinators for his head coaches.

austintodallas

Consider Yourself Sucked
Reaction score
sk0aL;1339486 said:

So what happens next year when other teams start offering Garret their HC job.

Are you prepared to get Sean Peytoned again?

silverbear

Reaction score
superpunk;1339688 said:
You want to know what's really asinine? DO YOU?!?!?! Spelling "asinine" with only one "i"!!!!

Well, at the very least it's lousy proofreading... LOL...

silverbear

Reaction score
Next_years_Champs;1339875 said:
Oh yeah I see you point after all it worked so well the other times Jones selected the coordinators for his head coaches.

Yeah, the head coaches he picked didn't have ANYTHING to do with those results...

If only Chan Gailey or Dave Campo had been able to pick their own coordinators, NOTHING could have stopped us from running off a string of Super Bowl wins...