About The NFC East

gmoney112

Reaction score
The Skins have had an interesting offseason. Getting Allen back, adding Payne and Settle. I like Alex Smith for them better than Cousins. The OL was hobbled pretty badly last season, but they've got talent there. Then they added Guice. They had a long ways to go, but they've definitely closed the gap.

The Giants are still going to be limited by their OL. They paid Solder a lot for his level of ability, but he's a big upgrade. They'll still need to help him against some of the edge guys in the East. Hernandez is a huge upgrade, too. And having OBJ for (presumably) a full season. Their year will come down to how good Eli can be if he's protected well enough. They still have OL problems, and Eli has been overrated for the last 2-3 years already. We'll see what he can do. I still think they ought to consider adding Dez to that WR group. With OBJ and Shepard, he'd be a lot to handle. He'd make things interesting in the East. He'd take a one-year deal, and he's good friends with OBJ to begin with.

The Eagles have a good young team. Wentz will be back for week one. They took on some extra headache with Bennett, and I liked their DL better with Curry and Allen. Goedert is an interesting addition for them on offense. They're obviously the team to beat until proven otherwise.

Cowboys have had an interesting offseason. I do think we've made some strides in terms of the defensive talent. Much of that is just having 2nd year players developing. I'd like to see us add another LB who could actually start 4-5 games in a pinch, but the team seems to like Thomas for that. Offensively, our skill position players not named 'Zeke' don't scare anybody. We've got a bunch of starting-quality-but-not-special players across the board at WR and TE. I do like that we've got two legit speed receivers in Thompson and Austin. And we fixed the OL and improved the running game. We need the defense to actually be a factor in our favor and to do more than just hang on while the offense wears teams down and gives them a cushion if we're going to be successful. We've got a shot at that at least, though.

Overall, I think it's a much tighter division with the Cowboys and Eagles slightly ahead of the Skins and then the Giants. Whoever wins the East will be doing it in week 16 or 17 this year, and all 4 teams ought to have 7 or more wins.

*Warning: This take is HOTTT*

I dont think Giants win 7 games.

1nfljunky

Reaction score
So 29 bench reps Martin is "strong enough" but 26 reps (Williams) is a "strength issue"?

Keep digging that hole!
:laugh:
Check out how many TE had more. And I don’t know of any who would win vs Fletcher Cox. Do you?

CPanther95

Reaction score
The Eagles are dramatically improved over what the Cowboys saw of them last year just by getting back their injured players that were missing.

Sydla

Reaction score
The Skins have had an interesting offseason. Getting Allen back, adding Payne and Settle. I like Alex Smith for them better than Cousins. The OL was hobbled pretty badly last season, but they've got talent there. Then they added Guice. They had a long ways to go, but they've definitely closed the gap.

The Giants are still going to be limited by their OL. They paid Solder a lot for his level of ability, but he's a big upgrade. They'll still need to help him against some of the edge guys in the East. Hernandez is a huge upgrade, too. And having OBJ for (presumably) a full season. Their year will come down to how good Eli can be if he's protected well enough. They still have OL problems, and Eli has been overrated for the last 2-3 years already. We'll see what he can do. I still think they ought to consider adding Dez to that WR group. With OBJ and Shepard, he'd be a lot to handle. He'd make things interesting in the East. He'd take a one-year deal, and he's good friends with OBJ to begin with.

The Eagles have a good young team. Wentz will be back for week one. They took on some extra headache with Bennett, and I liked their DL better with Curry and Allen. Goedert is an interesting addition for them on offense. They're obviously the team to beat until proven otherwise.

Cowboys have had an interesting offseason. I do think we've made some strides in terms of the defensive talent. Much of that is just having 2nd year players developing. I'd like to see us add another LB who could actually start 4-5 games in a pinch, but the team seems to like Thomas for that. Offensively, our skill position players not named 'Zeke' don't scare anybody. We've got a bunch of starting-quality-but-not-special players across the board at WR and TE. I do like that we've got two legit speed receivers in Thompson and Austin. And we fixed the OL and improved the running game. We need the defense to actually be a factor in our favor and to do more than just hang on while the offense wears teams down and gives them a cushion if we're going to be successful. We've got a shot at that at least, though.

Overall, I think it's a much tighter division with the Cowboys and Eagles slightly ahead of the Skins and then the Giants. Whoever wins the East will be doing it in week 16 or 17 this year, and all 4 teams ought to have 7 or more wins.

I agree with your take on the Giants.

And I like the Eagles DL better now than last years. Bennett is a better DE than Curry and Ngata is better than Allen. The one monkey wrench is the Jernigan injury.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree with your take on the Giants.

And I like the Eagles DL better now than last years. Bennett is a better DE than Curry and Ngata is better than Allen. The one monkey wrench is the Jernigan injury.

I like Bennet better than Curry as a player, but he comes with his own issues. Ngata, though, is a downgrade to Allen at this point in his career. He's 34, coming off IR, has missed time each season for a couple of years now, and is backing up a guy who had surgery for a herniated disk? I'd be more comfortable with Allen, though I get why the Eagles had to let him walk.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Check out how many TE had more. And I don’t know of any who would win vs Fletcher Cox. Do you?

Who cares? Bench press doesn't = good player. The fact is like I showed you, Zack Martin is the best at his position in the league and he has zero strength issues getting the job done.We just had a guy last year who set a bench press record years back. And you very likely don't know his name because it never translated to the field.

But I realize that since you're an Eagles fan it's ingrained in you to knock everything and everyone having to do with opposing teams. We have some Cowboys fans with the same affliction.

Sydla

Reaction score
Who cares? Bench press doesn't = good player. The fact is like I showed you, Zack Martin is the best at his position in the league and he has zero strength issues getting the job done.We just had a guy last year who set a bench press record years back. And you very likely don't know his name because it never translated to the field.

But I realize that since you're an Eagles fan it's ingrained in you to knock everything and everyone having to do with opposing teams. We have some Cowboys fans with the same affliction.

Part of the Connor Williams downplay by Eagles fans is their ever consuming desire to believe Howie outsmarted the Cowboys and jumped up to get Goeddert the TE and we really, really, really wanted him. And that we had to settle for an inferior, likely "bust" player in Connor Williams.

Who PS - the Eagles were high on themselves, but that gets lost in the shuffle of Eagle fandom.

Sydla

Reaction score
What do TE’s strength have to do with Zach Martin and Connor Williams?

Weren’t you talking about arm length and height for guards?

:huh:

Well he did mention strength too. He got away from Williams' height and arm length argument when it sunk into his skull how dumb it was to label a guy a likely bust this year because of his height and arm length.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
To say nothing of the fact that I think an average quarterback like Smith greatly benefitted by having the best TE and deep receiver threat in the league.

He doesn't have anything close to that in Washington.

Plus the league's leading rusher...

Smith got propped up hard by that system. Harbaugh saw what his limit was, and replaced him. Reid saw what his limit was, tried to build around him, and then traded 2 first rounders to replace him. No doubt Washington is going to come to the same conclusion in a year or two.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Part of the Connor Williams downplay by Eagles fans is their ever consuming desire to believe Howie outsmarted the Cowboys and jumped up to get Goeddert the TE and we really, really, really wanted him. And that we had to settle for an inferior, likely "bust" player in Connor Williams.

Who PS - the Eagles were high on themselves, but that gets lost in the shuffle of Eagle fandom.

Some people have to tell themselves lies in order to feel better.

1nfljunky

Reaction score
Well he did mention strength too. He got away from Williams' height and arm length argument when it sunk into his skull how dumb it was to label a guy a likely bust this year because of his height and arm length.
And actually I didn’t care about that one bit. But we did get the second round pick plus the player we wanted.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They might not. I have a hard time deciding how good Eli can be with improved protection.
Ya know, every time I put him down he wins a ring so I am shutting up. Give him time and he can still get the ball there and he's got, arguably, the best receiving corps in the league and adding Barkley didn't hurt that one bit.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This may well be. But the season is coming. And they’ll be no place to hide.

I look forward to it.

You guys are the champs and the team to beat until proven otherwise.

If our offensive line is to live up to its billing, we need to be able to handle the likes of Fletcher Cox and your Eagles defensive line.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Eagles are dramatically improved over what the Cowboys saw of them last year just by getting back their injured players that were missing.
And they can't count on them playing their scrubs in a game this time. The Eagles are better than the Cowboys on O, D, ST and coaching. The Cowboys win on the cheerleaders because the Eagles allowed transgendered cheerleaders in and their 5 o'clock shadows show up in the late games.

By golly, I am gonna get my shots in at the Eagles one way or the other.