According to PFF Mazi Smith still struggling a lot

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Don’t need PFF to know he’s struggling. He’s been a dud!

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
We are spoiled ironically by the success of our draft selections who have come in and instantly helped us (diggs, parsons, lamb, t smith, bland etc) it’s way too early in this young man’s playing career to know whether he’s a bust or if he’s good.

Verdict is still out on him as a player overall although he’s been sub par to start the year thus far. Typically there’s an adjustment for guys in the nfl not real concerned yet

Cmac

Reaction score
We have to stop drafting D-linemen from Michigan. As if Taco wasn't warning enough.....
.....and we see Michigan routinely beaten down late in the season when facing a physical team, but Detroit picked a good one.

BoysfanfromCanada

Reaction score
There were only like around 18 first round talent players and Mazi was not one of them.
There's no point. Most of these people hear 1st round 'DT' and think 'Aaron Donald'. His job is to stuff the run, he's young and will get stronger. Plus he has as vet starter playing well enough in front of him. He was never expected to get you anything more than a sack or 2 all year. His job will be to take up two olinemen and stop the run

Praxit

Reaction score
..well, its not encouraging. But all hope is not lost. Still have dozen games left.

Lets hope, something clicks within the dude.

doomsday9084

Reaction score
Mazi isn't just unproductive, he really looks unathletic. None of the quickness that we were told was there (and didn't show at Michigan due to scheme) is showing here. He doesn't look like he has a quick twitch muscle fiber in his body.

Hopefully he is just playing slow due to mental issues that can be fixed.

The Ominous

Dead Man Stalkin
Reaction score
For a guy who doesn't even like football, just likes to hit people...the former looks like the apparent player we got. I hope he becomes a beast.

conner01

Reaction score
We are spoiled ironically by the success of our draft selections who have come in and instantly helped us (diggs, parsons, lamb, t smith, bland etc) it’s way too early in this young man’s playing career to know whether he’s a bust or if he’s good.

Verdict is still out on him as a player overall although he’s been sub par to start the year thus far. Typically there’s an adjustment for guys in the nfl not real concerned yet
To me the key is about year to year improvement. I didn’t want mazi but I get why Quinn did. He’s a freak athlete who he feels he can mold into a player. We shall see if he can but any reasonable fan should have known it wasn’t gonna happen in 4 games

jblaze2004

Reaction score

PICK NO. 26: DALLAS COWBOYS: DI MAZI SMITH

Overall Rookie Grade: 43.8 (Rank: 11/13)
Principal Opponent:
Aaron Banks
Week 5 Snaps: 22
Week 5 Grade: 32.8

Smith’s Week 5 performance epitomized the Cowboys’ showing against San Francisco. He won a couple of pass-rushing reps but was manhandled multiple times in the run game, grading out negatively on six of his 14 run-defense snaps. His season-long run defense grade of 30.0 is currently the sixth lowest among qualified defensive tackles.

I wouldnt say I am worried about him just yet. I would say getting man handled on run plays is concerning. Particularly when a number one pick was used on him to have that exact thing NOT happen.
so did a lot of cowboy players. The whole team was bad bad.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I was shocked we drafted him bc we never go DT in round 1. I was hoping for a TE or LB. So far , I’m not impressed with the kid. At his size, he should at least be solid against the run. In round 1, you draft guys who can upgrade a position immediately. Looks like we failed in that regard. Maybe he’s better next year.