According to PFF Mazi Smith still struggling a lot

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
To me the key is about year to year improvement. I didn’t want mazi but I get why Quinn did. He’s a freak athlete who he feels he can mold into a player. We shall see if he can but any reasonable fan should have known it wasn’t gonna happen in 4 games
I'm not worried long term but they had to have known that he would not be ready early. That was very obvious from his college game footage.

In college it is possible to just overpower other players without using any technique.

I've only seen 2 NFL players that could just overpower everybody they faced...Larry Allen and Tyler Smith...All other linemen must play proper technique.

I've seen Mazi asking Hankins questions after the play when they've been on the field together.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

PICK NO. 26: DALLAS COWBOYS: DI MAZI SMITH

Overall Rookie Grade: 43.8 (Rank: 11/13)
Principal Opponent:
Aaron Banks
Week 5 Snaps: 22
Week 5 Grade: 32.8

Smith’s Week 5 performance epitomized the Cowboys’ showing against San Francisco. He won a couple of pass-rushing reps but was manhandled multiple times in the run game, grading out negatively on six of his 14 run-defense snaps. His season-long run defense grade of 30.0 is currently the sixth lowest among qualified defensive tackles.

I wouldnt say I am worried about him just yet. I would say getting man handled on run plays is concerning. Particularly when a number one pick was used on him to have that exact thing NOT happen.
They should just follow my draft advice...

2022: I has Tyler Smith rated #1 OL.

2023: I had Mazi as a mid/late 2nd round pick.

Parsons as the top LB.

Diggs as the best CB in his class.

I had CeeDee and Justin Jefferson as the top 2 WRs in that draft.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score

PICK NO. 26: DALLAS COWBOYS: DI MAZI SMITH

Overall Rookie Grade: 43.8 (Rank: 11/13)
Principal Opponent:
Aaron Banks
Week 5 Snaps: 22
Week 5 Grade: 32.8

Smith’s Week 5 performance epitomized the Cowboys’ showing against San Francisco. He won a couple of pass-rushing reps but was manhandled multiple times in the run game, grading out negatively on six of his 14 run-defense snaps. His season-long run defense grade of 30.0 is currently the sixth lowest among qualified defensive tackles.

I wouldnt say I am worried about him just yet. I would say getting man handled on run plays is concerning. Particularly when a number one pick was used on him to have that exact thing NOT happen.
Yeah....330 LB human beings with any back bone shouldn't be getting pushed backwards....period.

Deionindahood

Reaction score
Mazi said he doesn't like football. I think we have to give him a few years and a healthy contract to see if that changes his mind. If not, he can always be a backup DT for us and we can draft another 1st rd defensive lineman and hope Jerry gets lucky.

Hadenough

Reaction score
I'm starting to think the Cowboys draft dumb players who were pushed through the education system because of talent. The 49ers players seem like they are just as talented but better educated. Heck listening to Parsons speak the other night he sounded like he speaks in ebonics.

jwitten82

Reaction score
I made a thread about this after the game, but we're getting zero contributions from this year's draft class, that's crazy

My3Sons

Reaction score
Mazi was not productive in college. That should have been a keen indicator of what to expect when facing NFL OL

The 2nd round TE didn't even start at Michigan his las year until someone was injured.

Crazy idea. Maybe next year, we let our LB train in the offseason as opposed to telling the coaches/ scouts who to draft.

Creeper

Reaction score
I didn't know Mazi played Sunday. The entire defensive line with the exception of Hankins got shoved around so Mazi wasn't much different that anyone else.

Rayman70

Reaction score
99% of the defensive tackles struggle early. I think the kid will adjust as the season goes' Hes having growing pains.

pitt33

Reaction score
This may be the last time they take a DT in the first round for another 25 years.

mcmvp

Reaction score
Where did he say he doesn’t like football? Don’t know why some of you bother to post if you’re not going to be serious.
Pretty sure he was quoted earlier saying that he doesn’t even like football… He just likes to hit people. Or something to that effect.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Pretty sure he was quoted earlier saying that he doesn’t even like football… He just likes to hit people. Or something to that effect.
If he doesn’t like football, then he’s definitely going to go bust. I don’t remember Taco being as big a disappointment at this point his rookie season.