Actors/Actresses/Directors that will pique your interest in a film

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I like Tom Hanks a lot, but his movies just aren't the "gotta go see that" type for me. Loved Big, Bachelor Party, Splash, and so many more of his movies, but he just doesn't draw me to the theater.
I will go to see his new one and I haven't been to the theater in 6 months. I saw the doc about Mister Rogers on HBO and that really piques my interest as I was unaware of the prerssure he was put under and it is a true testament to the cynical nature we've developed about things too good to be true.

The challenge I have with Hanks is the same as it is with the A list superstars like Cruise and Pitt, I don't get lost in the character and lose sight of who's playing it. Instead of enjoying the part, I am mentally critiquing the star acting out the role.

However, I really enjoyed "Catch Me If You Can" with DiCaprio and Hanks, they did get lost in those roles.

Sammy

Reaction score
Robert Duvall, Tom Hanks, George Clooney

Julia Roberts except the stupid rom coms she's done. Hillary Swank. Gillian Anderson.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I like Tom Hanks a lot, but his movies just aren't the "gotta go see that" type for me. Loved Big, Bachelor Party, Splash, and so many more of his movies, but he just doesn't draw me to the theater.

I agree. I love Tom Hanks but he doesn't pull me out to the theater either. His films are usually very good, but they're 'small'. By that I mean character driven talkies rather than big budget spectacle films that need the big screen.

cowboyec

Reaction score
☆Elvis Presley
☆Clint Eastwood
☆John Wayne
☆Sylvester Stallone
☆Jimmy Stewart
☆Steve McQueen
☆Robert Mitchum
☆Burt Reynolds
☆Michael Landon
☆Alan Ladd
☆Audie Murphy
☆Boris Karloff
☆Bela Lagosi
☆Jeff Chandler

☆Raquel Welch
☆Ann Margret
☆Jane Russell
☆Jean Arthur

☆John Ford
☆Sergio Leone
☆Don Siegel
☆Clint Eastwood
☆Sylvester Stallone

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I agree. I love Tom Hanks but he doesn't pull me out to the theater either. His films are usually very good, but they're 'small'. By that I mean character driven talkies rather than big budget spectacle films that need the big screen.
Funny, I just watched an episode of Real Time with Bill Maher that I had on my DVR, and once it was over, Big was on. Haven't seen this movie in years, but now that we've mentioned it......Weird when that happens.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Funny, I just watched an episode of Real Time with Bill Maher that I had on my DVR, and once it was over, Big was on. Haven't seen this movie in years, but now that we've mentioned it......Weird when that happens.
There are some classic parts of comedies that I access in my head and the one of him at the cocktail party is one of them. When he started in on that little corn, I lost it in the theater. My wife said people were laughing at me laughing as much as the scene. I have a pretty big voice and a bigger laugh, I pretty much cut loose when something hits me just right and that scene did.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
I'll watch any movie with Catherine Deneuve or Déborah François in it. They've both done some amazing work. I also want to see any film directed by Alfred Hitchcock or François Truffaut.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
Big is such a classic movie. We had a family friend who had an exact replica of the Zoltar machine. It was awesome. Unfortunately he passed away a few years ago and I have no idea what happened to it.

Back to topic, the only person that comes to mind for me for this thread is John Candy. I loved everything he was in! It's a shame he died so young.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Big is such a classic movie. We had a family friend who had an exact replica of the Zoltar machine. It was awesome. Unfortunately he passed away a few years ago and I have no idea what happened to it.

Back to topic, the only person that comes to mind for me for this thread is John Candy. I loved everything he was in! It's a shame he died so young.
P, T and A is a must watch for TDay and I really liked him in Only the Lonely.

Same with Chris Farley for me. Tommy Boy is a once a quarter must watch. Knowing the relationship between Spade and him makes that even more special.

SlammedZero

Reaction score

Same with Chris Farley for me. Tommy Boy is a once a quarter must watch. Knowing the relationship between Spade and him makes that even more special.

Agree with everything in this post.

Side note: Spade and Farely were so close I want to say I read that Spade couldn't bring himself to go to Farley's funeral. I could be wrong but I want to say he never made it.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

Candy had so many great movies. T, P, and A; Who's Harry Crumb; Uncle Buck; Summer Rental; etc. His supporting roles in Splash and National Lampoon's Vacation were classic as well.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Candy had so many great movies. T, P, and A; Who's Harry Crumb; Uncle Buck; Summer Rental; etc. His supporting roles in Splash and National Lampoon's Vacation were classic as well.

How dare you leave out Stripes and Spaceballs for supporting roles :thumbup:

My favorite Candy movie is The Great Outdoors by a landslide......

yimyammer

Reaction score
I really enjoy Judd Apatow's work.

It's a crime Freaks and Geeks only got one season

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I would love seeing a trio of (actor) Chadwick Boseman, (actress) Zoe Saldana and (director) Christopher Nolan. Maybe a combo science fiction suspense thriller..?

All three have not collaborated on a project before. The closest has been Boseman and Saldana in Infinity War/Endgame but it was a very loose association given the story.

I do not know. It is a trio I have felt could be pretty good together after I saw and thought out Inception, Colombiana and Get On Up.

Yeah. There are not any real tie-ins between none of those films but I love each individual's work with all three. It is just how my wacky mind works. :p