Adam Schefter Says Browns Aren't Going QB at No. 2, and Are Taking the Highest Bidder for a Trade

slick325

Reaction score
It sounds like he is saying NO to that answer.
He's saying Dallas does not have their starting QB by saying "And if you're assumption is that Dallas does have its STARTING QB position solved, I'll respectfully but totally disagree".

Thanks for the clarity DFWJC...I think.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We're playing a game here.. Sometimes you need to put all your chips on the table..

With that defense, Gurley, and potentially having a real NFL QB then you give yourself a shot for a decade or more.

Dallas has a aging QB but an OL that will be primed and ready for domination and we're going to have to bring along a QB?

Now is the time for us to prepare for tomorrow.

The two teams are in very different positions, but it's too big a risk, either way. At least the Rams have the young defense, the cap room and the running back. They have nobody to start for them, and they can always convince themselves they overpaid as a PR move for entering a new market. And they were coming all the way up from 15. Still stupid to ransom the future on one pick, but at least you can see the rationale.

The Cowboys *have* a very good starter for the next 2-3 years. Sure, if a top QB falls, you take him, but you don't trade multiple drafts away for the number two option on the board when you can sit tight with the luxury of having some time to develop a guy and take a player of Lynch's quality either this year or next without giving up the farm to do it. There's playing the game, and then there's playing it to win. Now is the time for us to fix the defense unless the QB of the future lands in our lap.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
The two teams are in very different positions, but it's too big a risk, either way. At least the Rams have the young defense, the cap room and the running back. They have nobody to start for them, and they can always convince themselves they overpaid as a PR move for entering a new market. And they were coming all the way up from 15. Still stupid to ransom the future on one pick, but at least you can see the rationale.

The Cowboys *have* a very good starter for the next 2-3 years. Sure, if a top QB falls, you take him, but you don't trade multiple drafts away for the number two option on the board when you can sit tight with the luxury of having some time to develop a guy and take a player of Lynch's quality either this year or next without giving up the farm to do it. There's playing the game, and then there's playing it to win. Now is the time for us to fix the defense unless the QB of the future lands in our lap.

What exactly are we risking?

A 3rd rounder? Not drafting Ramsey?

Risk.. It's time for Dallas to do something. We have a top 5 pick. Now is the time to push!

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
I didn't even have to read this thread to know that predictably, everyone is dancing around the elephant in the room: if the North Dakota Community College QB is our future face of the franchise, why isn't he going to be wearing a Browns helmet?

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What exactly are we risking?

A 3rd rounder? Not drafting Ramsey?

Risk.. It's time for Dallas to do something. We have a top 5 pick. Now is the time to push!

We'll have to beat whatever the other teams are risking to move up ahead of us. It's going to cost a lot more than a third rounder, at any rate.

It's time for us to do something. That's not the same thing as it's time for us to do something stupid. Picks have value. We can't just rush up there like a kid with an armful of tickets at an arcade and handing out enough future draft picks that we can afford the pencil eraser or the car where the wheel snaps off glued-on axle after about 30 minutes of playing with it. If the Rams and the Eagles have lost their mind and don't remember what happens to teams that sell the farm to by a cow, that's great. We shouldn't be lining up to join them.

sbark

Reaction score
I didn't even have to read this thread to know that predictably, everyone is dancing around the elephant in the room: if the North Dakota Community College QB is our future face of the franchise, why isn't he going to be wearing a Browns helmet?[/quot
Ya...a North Dakota " comm college " that hasn't lost to a fbs level school in 10 years...I'd say a better chance Goff has lost to a com level college....only managed 14 wins in 3 years

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
We'll have to beat whatever the other teams are risking to move up ahead of us. It's going to cost a lot more than a third rounder, at any rate.

It's time for us to do something. That's not the same thing as it's time for us to do something stupid. Picks have value. We can't just rush up there like a kid with an armful of tickets at an arcade and handing out enough future draft picks that we can afford the pencil eraser or the car where the wheel snaps off glued-on axle after about 30 minutes of playing with it. If the Rams and the Eagles have lost their mind and don't remember what happens to teams that sell the farm to by a cow, that's great. We shouldn't be lining up to join them.

I agree that picks have value.

But so do 6'6 QB's with Rocket arms, mobility, and a high work ethic.

We're in this position because we lost our QB last year.

I could list off a million reasons why Wentz should be the pick.

Ramsey? Might make our defense a little better and might save us some cap space for 5 years but it won't have the impact a Carson Wentz would have.

Even in the short term I feel like Wentz could win because of his ability to extend plays and our run game + Dez.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
before the collar bone
He missed 2 games in 4 years

And? His missed time is his missed time, you can cherry-pick all you want, but facts are facts. And the collar bone happened. Three times now.

I'm not saying that QB is not a need, but I'd say it's somewhere between all of the teams with average or worse starters and teams with solid upper end starters.
Teams like LA, Philly, NYJ, San Francisco, Buffalo maybe, Cleveland, etc, etc.

But I agree, you don't ignore the situation

We agree on that anyway.

jnday

Reaction score
49ers (if Rams take Wentz) or Eagles are the best bets.

The Rams had other reasons to trade all the way up, but the Browns may be surprised at the indifferent market. These QBs are not sure things by any means.
I don't see Dallas trading up at all

I have read several sources that claim many teams have the top two QBs from this class rated higher than the top two from last year.

slick325

Reaction score
I have read several sources that claim many teams have the top two QBs from this class rated higher than the top two from last year.

Read that as well but I find it interesting that the Browns are ready to move if the one they like isn't there. If Wentz goes No. 1 then why would a team like the Browns who actually have a "NEED" at QB pass on Goff? And vice versa...if Goff goes No. 1 and the Browns (as was the rumor) wanted him all along then why pass on Wentz?

I still think the Browns take a QB at No. 2 and don't move the pick.

DFWJC

Reaction score

I read one, and that was verbal, second-hand, and not in a printed ranking list.

I've read a ton that say otherwise.
Starting with Scouts Inc and DraftScouts, but not ending there. Certainly Kiper and McShay. Plenty of others. And it's not from someone saying so on the radio, it's a list ranking the prospects and the number grade 1-100. So not speculative.

But hey, it's not like these peope are wrong on a regular basis.

In the end though, it only matters what your own team's scouts and FO think. So I get that.

DFWJC

Reaction score
And? His missed time is his missed time, you can cherry-pick all you want, but facts are facts. And the collar bone happened. Three times now.

We agree on that anyway.

Really two times with the collarbone. I know you don't think when he reinjured that thing after not fully healing that was some unrelated incident lasy\t year.
But yes, even twice is a lot in a career. But again, pretty much 4 years before than only 2 games missed. That says odds are VERY good that he will play at least 14 games, or all 16.
2011 16 games
2012 16 games
2013 15 games
2014 15 games

The back is worth being concerned about though. Even if you miss 1-2 games, that's more than you would like.

Fredd

Reaction score
I bet if Philly offered their 1/8, 3/77, 3/79...and 2017 #1...that get's it done.;)

Steep price to move up....

and would take that in a heartbeat, it helps us and crushes phil's draft for two years

sbark

Reaction score
not sure if you are being serious are trying to exaggerate to make a point, because even D2 is way above community college

NDSU is FCS level.--above Div II.......have beat FBS level schools consistently that they have played over the last decade.........Iowa State (Wentz's 1st ever start), K-State in 2013 , Minn Gophers in 2007 and 2011, Kansas in 2010, Colo St. in 2012, Ball St. in 2006..........

If Goff is sooooo great............how can a FCS level Qb come out of East. Wash Univ for his senior year after transferring to Oregon--Goff Pac 10 Conf..., lead the nation in Qb efficiency, go 9-4...............while Goff stuggles to win a total of 14 games over 3 years........the "best pass " he has is throwing his Oline under the bus after leaving......

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
not sure if you are being serious are trying to exaggerate to make a point, because even D2 is way above community college

It's obviously a joke, but it's funny that people would focus on that part. I'll ask again, why would the most quarterback-starved team in the league over the last couple of decades, in a situation where they could take him with no fear of being second-guessed, pass on Wentz? And before you try to suggest that the Browns don't know that they are doing, please keep in mind our glorious track record of eyeing quarterback talent.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Really two times with the collarbone. I know you don't think when he reinjured that thing after not fully healing that was some unrelated incident lasy\t year.
But yes, even twice is a lot in a career. But again, pretty much 4 years before than only 2 games missed. That says odds are VERY good that he will play at least 14 games, or all 16.
2011 16 games
2012 16 games
2013 15 games
2014 15 games

The back is worth being concerned about though. Even if you miss 1-2 games, that's more than you would like.

Again, you're cherry picking seasons, and not looking at the entire picture and that's not something I'm willing to accept.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
I'll ask again, why would the most quarterback-starved team in the league over the last couple of decades, in a situation where they could take him with no fear of being second-guessed, pass on Wentz?

Because they aren't at all prepared to support a rookie QB and really would be better off with the additional draft picks. They lost a guy that is considered a top 2 or 3 center, no running back what so ever, no talent at WR unless someone can some how give Josh Gordon a partial lobotomy (the part that craves weed) and they are shaky on defense. I'll believe the pass on Wentz when I see it, but I can definitely see them trading the pick. Of course if Wentz is great and they blow the picks, they'll be run out of town, but they would not be ready to support Andrew Luck at this point.

And before you try to suggest that the Browns don't know that they are doing, please keep in mind our glorious track record of eyeing quarterback talent.

Do we have some first round busts that I'm not aware of? I'm not saying the Browns will pass on Wentz because they are incompetent, they are incompetent in many ways, but trading the pick, even if Wentz turns out great would be a great move if you hit on the picks you get, since they aren't close and will get opportunities at other QBs, but what is our glorious track record of eyeing QBs? All we've tried to do was grab rejects that we had to pay nearly nothing and hope they could be a back up. We have not devoted in serious resource, either cap space or draft picks in getting a QB.

AzorAhai

Reaction score
2011 16 games
2012 16 games
2013 15 games
2014 15 games

I'm pretty sure I read that he also broke it in high school.