Adam Schefter: "There's not a player in football with more leverage right now than Dak Prescott."

ShortRound

Reaction score
iCQARJi.gif

Adreme

Reaction score
I mean he is not wrong. Dak is in position to be the first top 10 QB in the free agency era to be able to enter unrestricted free agency with 4-5 years left of their prime and, other than an extension, there is nothing the Cowboys can do about it. That is a mountain of leverage. Short of an injury situation, like when Drew Brees had an injury that made people wonder if he could throw again in his last year with Chargers, he will have the most leverage you could possibly have.

tunahelper

Reaction score
I mean he is not wrong. Dak is in position to be the first top 10 QB in the free agency era to be able to enter unrestricted free agency with 4-5 years left of their prime and, other than an extension, there is nothing the Cowboys can do about it. That is a mountain of leverage. Short of an injury situation, like when Drew Brees had an injury that made people wonder if he could throw again in his last year with Chargers, he will have the most leverage you could possibly have.
Not sure another team gives him 60m a year. If they do let him walk.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
I can say with near certainty that he would have no trouble getting 60m per year from multiple suitors. Its not even a question about if but rather which one.
I sure wish one of them would make Dak & his agent aware of this so that Dak would ask to be traded to said team.

Also, I'm curious which teams you think have the interest and\or the circumstances to sign him to a contract of that magnitude.

Adreme

Reaction score
I sure wish one of them would make Dak & his agent aware of this so that Dak would ask to be traded to said team.

Also, I'm curious which teams you think have the interest and\or the circumstances to sign him to a contract of that magnitude.
I also wish the rivals would commit tampering violations that would cost them potentially their first round picks. I am also not sure why they would make a trade now when they can get him for free next year. First off though you have hte obvious teams of the Giants, Raiders, and Steelers (with Steelers having enough cap space to easily do it). After that you start having the teams that might be interested circumstances permitting. Is Rodgers only going to play 1 more year because if so the Jets will absolutely jump in. Would the Dolphins rather pay Dak 60m or Tua 50m, as if you are going to be a league average QB 50m you might as well pay an extra 10m per year to get a top 10 QB? Would the Titans or Colts or Panthers be willing to pull the plug on their QB after year 2, as we did see similar with the Cardinals when they went for Murray but I think only the Colts are realistically close enough to consider it? Then you have teams like the Seawhawks who would absolutely be interested but probably cant make it work with the cap.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score

However many teams may be interested now, more will be interested after this season, and more of them will be in a position to pay him significant money. If I had to guess, NY Giants, LA Rams, Las Vegas, New Orleans, Tennessee, Seattle, Indianapolis…depending how this season works out for those teams.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
I also wish the rivals would commit tampering violations that would cost them potentially their first round picks. I am also not sure why they would make a trade now when they can get him for free next year. First off though you have hte obvious teams of the Giants, Raiders, and Steelers (with Steelers having enough cap space to easily do it). After that you start having the teams that might be interested circumstances permitting. Is Rodgers only going to play 1 more year because if so the Jets will absolutely jump in. Would the Dolphins rather pay Dak 60m or Tua 50m, as if you are going to be a league average QB 50m you might as well pay an extra 10m per year to get a top 10 QB? Would the Titans or Colts or Panthers be willing to pull the plug on their QB after year 2, as we did see similar with the Cardinals when they went for Murray but I think only the Colts are realistically close enough to consider it? Then you have teams like the Seawhawks who would absolutely be interested but probably cant make it work with the cap.
I appreciate your answer. I see a rather short list of potential suitors due to current QB commitments by a lot of teams. Most teams who have invested high picks aren't going to punt so easily unless their guy completely craps the bed. The money side is tricky because teams often have tools at their disposal to change their cap situation. So a team that might not look financially able could emerge.

Just for clarity, I don't want another team to face tampering violations. I want them to give us those picks & sign Dak to a crippling contract just to end the saga here and set us up for taking our shot at getting a highly talented young'un.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
However many teams may be interested now, more will be interested after this season, and more of them will be in a position to pay him significant money. If I had to guess, NY Giants, LA Rams, Las Vegas, New Orleans, Tennessee, Seattle, Indianapolis…depending how this season works out for those teams.
What if he things go poorly & he doesn't even keep the stats rolling?

What if he were to get benched at some point?

What if he gets injured?

Are they really lining up to pay that kind of money to a QB who would be entering his 10th season when he stepped on the field for them while never even getting team to a conference championship?

Adreme

Reaction score
I appreciate your answer. I see a rather short list of potential suitors due to current QB commitments by a lot of teams. Most teams who have invested high picks aren't going to punt so easily unless their guy completely craps the bed. The money side is tricky because teams often have tools at their disposal to change their cap situation. So a team that might not look financially able could emerge.

Just for clarity, I don't want another team to face tampering violations. I want them to give us those picks & sign Dak to a crippling contract just to end the saga here and set us up for taking our shot at getting a highly talented young'un.
We have seen teams abandon their QB after 1 year, doing it after 2 is something we JUST saw the Steelers do. The three teams I listed either had their QB miss the year or their QB looked as bad as Kenny Pickett so dumping seems likely, with the only question being draft or free agency as the solution. The important thing though is if there is ONE suitor outside of the Cowboys Dak gets 60m and we know of 3 that are near certainties. By the way that is a LOT of suitors for an NFL free agent. Most teams have 1-2 that look obvious and then 1-2 wildcards whereas Dak will draw more than that. Honestly the Dolphins are the team I would most likely look at on that list as they have been trying to move off of Tua just about every year they have had him.

GINeric

Reaction score

I'm just amazed how a player that "sucks" could be in the top 10 of his position out of 96 other quarterbacks, can become 2nd team All-Pro, be in the MVP discussion the season previous and be the player with the most contractual leverage in the NFL.....

How can a player that "sucks" accomplish all of that?

What other players in NFL history was able to do those things while being a player that "suck"? That math ain't mathin.....