Adam Schefter: "There's not a player in football with more leverage right now than Dak Prescott."

Chasing6

Reaction score
No. They don’t get paid more “period”. They get paid more because the offense goes through them 99% of the time, whether the ball is in their hands first, whether they’re reading the defense and making changes at the line, whether they’re passing the ball correctly, or tossing it or handing it off to the running back, etc.

It’s why QBs get more of the credit and more of the blame than any other position as well.

It’s why certain “Dak-Stans” blamed Romo for the team’s failures and “choke jobs” but now they repeatedly deflect from the same criticisms (warranted or not) onto the rest of the team.

Each position is obviously paid proportionately more to their ascribed importance and value to the team.
Thanks for elaborating and agreeing with my comment.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
When you’re dependent on someone offering you a contract to continue being employed by your employer then you have no leverage.

Dak could wake up tomorrow and say “Ya know, I want to be a Cowboy for life so bad that I’ll take the vet minimum”. Jerry could simply respond with “no” and that’s that.

The boss always has the leverage.
Lotta truth right there.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Always strikes me as odd that when people make a claim, they refuse to back it up. Even when the claim is allegedly ubiquitous and "common knowledge"...which should make it extremely easy to find some examples.

I sometimes ask for sources just to make sure we're on the same page.
Ok, if you are just trying to be on the same page. The comment was that "lousy team" is a fan phrase & you would not hear that inside an NFL locker room or by coaches & GM's.

Sports people are always comparing themselves & their teams to others. They sum up players abilities pretty quickly. Ie, they are hyper aware of what players & teams pose a threat & which don't. So, I think it ridiculous to think they aren't openly talking about it behind closed doors.
Many former coaches & players openly talk about what players & teams they were measuring themselves against. Jimmy Johnson has talked about knowing the 49ers among others were a measuring stick back in the day. About how he was counting on wins against the other teams on the schedule but those would give him a better sense for where his team really was. Aikman, Irvin, Emmitt etc. have all said the same thing. They knew who was lousy, mediocre & good. If you've ever watched shows like Total Access where former players talk about their careers & championship runs they talk about not taking some teams seriously as they just wanted to do enough to win & stay healthy. Does anyone really think players have rolled into games against teams like Detroit, Cleveland, Jets during long stretches of the 2000's and not known they were lousy?

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
When you’re dependent on someone offering you a contract to continue being employed by your employer then you have no leverage.

Dak could wake up tomorrow and say “Ya know, I want to be a Cowboy for life so bad that I’ll take the vet minimum”. Jerry could simply respond with “no” and that’s that.

The boss always has the leverage.
In March Dak will have his pick among many potential bosses. He’ll choose, no one else will choose, he’ll choose the boss that offers him the deal he likes the most. It will be a deal that pays him a lot of money to play football for a few years. Can’t know how much he’ll be paid, but assuredly more than $40 million per season AAV. If you see any part of this scenario as Jerry Jones’ leverage you have quite an imagination. The truth is the only leverage Dak Prescott has over Jerry Jones is the fact that Todd France works for Dak, not Jerry.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Lotta truth right there.
Not really. It all depends on what the rest of the job market looks like. If there is a line of other companies wanting to hire the employee then that employee holds the leverage.

The only leverage Jerry has is if Dak is completely married to the idea of playing for the Cowboys and isnt looking at 31 other teams as places he would actually go.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ok, if you are just trying to be on the same page. The comment was that "lousy team" is a fan phrase & you would not hear that inside an NFL locker room or by coaches & GM's.

Sports people are always comparing themselves & their teams to others. They sum up players abilities pretty quickly. Ie, they are hyper aware of what players & teams pose a threat & which don't. So, I think it ridiculous to think they aren't openly talking about it behind closed doors.
Many former coaches & players openly talk about what players & teams they were measuring themselves against. Jimmy Johnson has talked about knowing the 49ers among others were a measuring stick back in the day. About how he was counting on wins against the other teams on the schedule but those would give him a better sense for where his team really was. Aikman, Irvin, Emmitt etc. have all said the same thing. They knew who was lousy, mediocre & good. If you've ever watched shows like Total Access where former players talk about their careers & championship runs they talk about not taking some teams seriously as they just wanted to do enough to win & stay healthy. Does anyone really think players have rolled into games against teams like Detroit, Cleveland, Jets during long stretches of the 2000's and not known they were lousy?
Ok. 1st off i just wanted you to honor the request for sources and quotes.

Looks like we might be talking two different things here?
Locker room and on field....trash talk absolutely!

News media....mics and cams....not so much.

If you got somethin different.....sources please.

shabazz

Reaction score
Not really. It all depends on what the rest of the job market looks like. If there is a line of other companies wanting to hire the employee then that employee holds the leverage.

The only leverage Jerry has is if Dak is completely married to the idea of playing for the Cowboys and isnt looking at 31 other teams as places he would actually go.
I agree. The marketplace gives him leverage because he is seen in the same light at Kirk Cousins.....and that's a big contract.

As an aside, admitting Dak has leverage has absolutely nothing to do with ,if we as fans, have faith in him or not.....it's just the business side of things

JonesBoys

Reaction score
It's a hail Mary but if Lance figures it out that can certainly change Dak's position.

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score

Yeah, but how many other teams would “love” to have Dak such that they’d pay him 55+ million per year for how he’s produced in the playoffs? I’d wager the selection is very few.

People keep talking about JJ being a bad GM. What do you think other GMs see when they watch Dak? So where is JJ with respect to this qualification when it comes to Dak and how he’s treating him this year, all of these past things considered? I haven’t heard even the slightest peep about any pull for Dak from any other team in the league, even just whispers of what it would take to get him.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Yeah, but how many other teams would “love” to have Dak such that they’d pay him 55+ million per year for how he’s produced in the playoffs? I’d wager the selection is very few.

People keep talking about JJ being a bad GM. What do you think other GMs see when they watch Dak? So where is JJ with respect to this qualification when it comes to Dak and how he’s treating him this year, all of these past things considered? I haven’t heard even the slightest peep about any pull for Dak from any other team in the league, even just whispers of what it would take to get him.
Agreed. Any viable QB is going to have some interest but when talking about paying a 10 yr vet (by the time he steps on field for new team) top dollar and committing the organization to him for a number of years, seems like it will narrow the field significantly when they think it through. Not to mention their jobs are likely on the line. It's not like all organizations have key front office positions immune from unemployment. And also as you said, I don't think a lot of FO's view his tape and think this guy's a great bet to get us over the hump.

Now you drop the salary significantly and it could pull in tough luck teams looking to be mediocre to appease the fanbase.

Adreme

Reaction score

The selection is 3 teams for sure and about a half dozen potentially interested teams under the right circumstances (of those half dozen I would keep a close eye on the Dolphins who have been trying to dump Tua for most of his career).

thunderpimp91

Reaction score

You haven’t heard anything about dak to other teams because he isn’t available. Kirk cousins got paid and is entering the back half of his 30s. Baker mayfield got $100M after not being able to make stick with Carolina the year before.

Dak getting $55m in free agency next year is a no brainer. Once the cap goes up another 10% his price is probably closer to $65m to be honest. This is where Daks real leverage comes from….with the cap continuing to increase this year’s outrageous price tag is next years bargain price.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
The selection is 3 teams for sure and about a half dozen potentially interested teams under the right circumstances (of those half dozen I would keep a close eye on the Dolphins who have been trying to dump Tua for most of his career).
The dolphins are still expected to reach a deal with Tua this summer. If so, that takes them out of play. If they don't reach a deal, then sure.

Adreme

Reaction score
The dolphins are still expected to reach a deal with Tua this summer. If so, that takes them out of play. If they don't reach a deal, then sure.
I would expect that but the fact that they have not is just further proof that they really do not want to and if we are sitting at this time next year (the Dolphins would almost certainly tag Tua but they can revoke it), then the question becomes "why spend 53m on a Goff level league average QB (in the 14th-17th range) when you can spent 6-7m per year more on a top 8-9 QB?"

Outside of that you obviously have the 3 teams that will be interested in Steelers, Giants, and Raiders (Steelers being the best fit of those 3 between cap and weapons). As for the other teams I mentioned the Dolphins already, the Jets are certainly in if Rodgers retires (at his age a real possibility), the Titans are in if they think they can be competitive with a QB (I do not but GMs would make that move to save their jobs), the Seahawks if Geno does not improve could be looking to take advantage of a solid roster. After that you can say similar things about Panthers and Colts in that they both have 2nd year QBs, and in the case of the Panthers their QB looked horrible, and given recent history teams are not above dumping a QB after 2 years if the player is not working out (like with Pickett). With the Panthers my main hesitation is that I do not think they are close enough as a roster but again GMs make aggressive decisions like this to try and save their jobs. I did not mention the Saints who 100% would WANT to be on this list but I just cannot imagine how they get enough cap space to do so as they have needed to just be awful for a single year and are just unwilling to do so.

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
You haven’t heard anything about dak to other teams because he isn’t available. Kirk cousins got paid and is entering the back half of his 30s. Baker mayfield got $100M after not being able to make stick with Carolina the year before.

Dak getting $55m in free agency next year is a no brainer. Once the cap goes up another 10% his price is probably closer to $65m to be honest. This is where Daks real leverage comes from….with the cap continuing to increase this year’s outrageous price tag is next years bargain price.
Kirk and Mayfield got relatively cheap contracts for starting QBs. The former is only $100 million guaranteed over 4 years and the latter is only $50 million guaranteed over three years.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Kirk and Mayfield got relatively cheap contracts for starting QBs. The former is only $100 million guaranteed over 4 years and the latter is only $50 million guaranteed over three years.
Agreed, but a 36 year old coming off a season where he only played 8 games got $45M per and a guy who has been on 4 teams in 6 years with a career record under .500 received $33M per.

I mean if he takes a significant step back in play this year I would agree with you, but we still have to acknowledge that he was an all pro last season. If he can hit 85% of those numbers again at his age 31 season I think it's crazy to think he couldn't easily get more than both those guys on the open market, and probably significantly more next year with another cap increase. The true comp for Dak is probably Goff who received $53m from Detroit.

Total guess here, but I'd have to think that if Dak were willing to sign for $55m he would already have an extension done. That's the going rate this year and is likely to be the discount rate next year.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
He will play somewhere and he will make tons of money but it doesn't change the fact that he threw up all over himself in the playoffs and that is why his own fans hate him.

Chasing6

Reaction score

Most likely 15 if they were not already stuck in a contract paying another QB. Realistically 5.

Dak getting paid is not the risk. Dak getting paid and moving to a contender is the only potential challenge or risk for Dak.

However, I am sure his Agent has a pretty good idea of what teams will be interested.

Pittsburgh stands out as a perfect landing spot for Dak who just extended Mike Tomlin.

Swagger

Reaction score
The reality is only teams without Superbowl aspirations would offer Prescott silly money.