Adding A Wide Nine Package On D Could It Work?

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Offensive and defensive rankings, mean nothing, if it does not translate into a championship. Of course, that is only my opinion.

Well there are fans all over the world watching and talking about football for 31 other teams that would disagree with you.

If you dont like to talk about football, then maybe this isnt the place for you.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Cowboys had injuries too.....I don't want to hear the injury excuse because you don't use that excuse for why Zeke had a down year last year with a 3rd string offensive line. You guy skill me you will defend the 49ers before your own players....

You really have trouble staying on topic dont you? LOL

Yes, the Cowboys had injuries and that hampered their run game. That has NOTHING to do with what I said about the Niners. IN fact, I never even mentioned Zekes play at all or him having a down year.

And look at you coming to the defense of your hero Zeke when you mistakenly think he has been insulted. Which he never was.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
You really have trouble staying on topic dont you? LOL

Yes, the Cowboys had injuries and that hampered their run game. That has NOTHING to do with what I said about the Niners. IN fact, I never even mentioned Zekes play at all or him having a down year.

And look at you coming to the defense of your hero Zeke when you mistakenly think he has been insulted. Which he never was.
I have trouble not bringing up the hypocrisy in your posts......

I mentioned Zeke's name. I did. Didn't know it was against forum rules...oops.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I have trouble not bringing up the hypocrisy in your posts......

I mentioned Zeke's name. I did. Didn't know it was against forum rules...oops.

I am the one that mentioned Zeke's name.

You are the one that got offended at the mere mention of his name. Let just remember who started the argument when this starts heating up more.

"I know you are a big Zeke fan" Is all I said.

Bottom line is you cant even keep up with a basic conversation. Try as you might.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
Not a great idea, IMO. Wide-9 is basically giving your DEs better spacing to get to the QB, but it also creates larger running lanes. Considering our run woes and LB play last year, I'd rather keep the gaps small and the LBs protected.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I am the one that mentioned Zeke's name.

You are the one that got offended at the mere mention of his name. Let just remember who started the argument when this starts heating up more.

"I know you are a big Zeke fan" Is all I said.

Bottom line is you cant even keep up with a basic conversation. Try as you might.
Calling these debates with you "basic conversation" is a insult to the English language. It feels more like an adult talking to a child who throws tantrums when someone disagrees with him. For instance, look at you now.....you are arguing about something that's not even debated or being argued lol.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Not a great idea, IMO. Wide-9 is basically giving your DEs better spacing to get to the QB, but it also creates larger running lanes. Considering our run woes and LB play last year, I'd rather keep the gaps small and the LBs protected.

Like any other defensive alignment, it has its uses. Never intended to be the main defensive alignment....

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I expect to see a 3-3-5 scheme which brings up a wide 9 guy in a LB name".

For instance I think you could easily see:

E: DLaw
NT: Urban
DT: Hill

Sam: playing wide 9: Parsons
Mike: Jaylon/LVE
Will: Neal

CB1:Diggs
CB2: Joseph
CB3: AB
FS: Kazee
SS: Wilson

BUT, this is not what Dallas is telling us right now. And that's OK, they told us all last off-season they were a 4 down team to go play 3 down almost entirely early on.

John813

Reaction score
You need linebackers to step up and defend the run as the ends are basically shutout from helping out.

Dolphins did it in 2016, when they went to the playoffs, and had a front four of Branch-Phillips(350lb DT who was athletic and lazy)-Suh and Wake and they got gashed in the run game.
30th against the run.

So, you need talent imo in the 2nd half to pull it off. Parsons should be able to handle it, but LVE and Smith? lol

Dre11

Reaction score
I recently saw a very interesting video on Youtube regarding how the 49ers moved away from trying to replicate the Legion of Boom defense and moved to the Wide Nine scheme. He went over the pros and cons of it and why SF was a beast using it. I know we do not have the SF defense But looking at our personal could this be effective ?

This video caught my attention for a variety of reasons - Key Takes from the video

LOB Defense

1- It stated first and foremost in the LOB defense the single high safety was one of the key ingredients among others
2- It worked for Seattle because of the talent using the scheme ! not the scheme itself which is why SF struggled using it the level of talent was not the same at the key positions !

Wide Nine Scheme - Video went into far more detail this is just quick takeaways

1- Eliminates the outside runs for the most part and funnels runs back into the teeth of the defense but LINEBACKERS must be able to read , react, and fill gaps quickly to either side and center of the DT's- Biggest Weakness if the skill at linebacker is not there, playaction and running inside can kill this scheme if the linebackers communication and read and react timing is slow.

Why i find this interesting We have a lot of talent at linebacker between Parson's , Jalen , LVE and Cox this should be a great rotation. Communication is the most important part between the linebackers in this scheme due to the fact the linebackers need to react fast to the run to plug gaps or drop back into coverage on playaction ( parsons and Cox can cover which is great ). The speed is there and from the early onset seems like Parsons is awesome at communication. With Dlaw and Gregory lining up wider gives them more room rushing and both play the run well - Biggest question can our DT's hold up in the middle to allow the Linebackers to eat ? I know we do not have the talent on the d-line like SF but could this work for us ?

2- Less stress on the safety position and gives more flexibility to drop 2 deep or place Donavan Wilson in the box to wreak havoc i think this could fit us better then trying to recreate the LOB since we do not have that all pro safety yet

3- I think we have the talent at corner to pull this off

Like every scheme this has its strengths and weaknesses. I am no expert at breaking down film or schemes seems like the guy in the video knew what he was talking about, I guess what scares me a little is after watching this video it seemed to me the key to this D is the linebacking core and their ability to read, react, and communicate i know many are down on Jalen and LVE but with the 2 new additions this could work. Yes D-line is super important also but gregory and tank might thrive here.

IF @Reality would allow me to post the link to the Youtube Video since i do not believe forum rules allow that - i will provide a link so you can see the video i just found it very interesting and just wondered what you all thought if a package utilizing the wide nine could work?

And yes i realize we do not have the San Fran Defense :muttley:

They've already been experimenting with some wide 9 with Goldston this the last rookie minicamp.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Calling these debates with you "basic conversation" is a insult to the English language. It feels more like an adult talking to a child who throws tantrums when someone disagrees with him. For instance, look at you now.....you are arguing about something that's not even debated or being argued lol.

Your the guy that got all upset at the mention of Zeke's name. I didnt even say anything about Zeke.

But lets make you throw a tantrum shall we since you decided to open your mouth?

A nice read for you on your trending down women beater Zeke:

Here’s what Sam Monson wrote recently for Pro Football Focus after pointing out Pollard as the Cowboys’ most underrated player

“The Dallas Cowboys are in a tough spot. By handing Ezekiel Elliott the contract they did, it is very difficult for them to reduce his role to the level it should be based on how Pollard has performed when given the opportunity. Since being drafted, Pollard is tied with Derrick Henry for the best yards after contact average in the league (4.0) and tied with Nick Chubb for the best broken tackle rate (0.25).”

There’s an argument to be made that Pollard is simply the perfect complement to Elliott rather than the better overall running back. Tony is the more dynamic runner at this point in Zeke’s career, with the latter being more of a power back now than a home run threat.

Still, the numbers bear out that Pollard deserves to carry more of the load in Dallas. That’s despite Elliott’s contract that’s scheduled to make a $13.7 million-sized dent in the team’s salary cap in 2021 according to spotrac.com.

Starforever

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Well there are fans all over the world watching and talking about football for 31 other teams that would disagree with you.

If you dont like to talk about football, then maybe this isnt the place for you.

Comprehension is key, I did not state that anywhere in my comment. How did you get this, "If you don't like to talk about football", out of what I stated? My opinion is just as relevant as yours and others on this site.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Comprehension is key, I did not state that anywhere in my comment. How did you get this, "If you don't like to talk about football", out of what I stated? My opinion is just as relevant as yours and others on this site.

You said "if it doesnt lead to a championship its useless". So no one can talk about the defense, the offense, a great QB, great RB play, improvements, ect.....ect...?

Because "who cares if it doesn't lead to a championship"?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Your the guy that got all upset at the mention of Zeke's name. I didnt even say anything about Zeke.

But lets make you throw a tantrum shall we since you decided to open your mouth?

A nice read for you on your trending down women beater Zeke:

Here’s what Sam Monson wrote recently for Pro Football Focus after pointing out Pollard as the Cowboys’ most underrated player

“The Dallas Cowboys are in a tough spot. By handing Ezekiel Elliott the contract they did, it is very difficult for them to reduce his role to the level it should be based on how Pollard has performed when given the opportunity. Since being drafted, Pollard is tied with Derrick Henry for the best yards after contact average in the league (4.0) and tied with Nick Chubb for the best broken tackle rate (0.25).”

There’s an argument to be made that Pollard is simply the perfect complement to Elliott rather than the better overall running back. Tony is the more dynamic runner at this point in Zeke’s career, with the latter being more of a power back now than a home run threat.

Still, the numbers bear out that Pollard deserves to carry more of the load in Dallas. That’s despite Elliott’s contract that’s scheduled to make a $13.7 million-sized dent in the team’s salary cap in 2021 according to spotrac.com.
I actually agree with that...Pollard is the perfect complement to Zeke...what was your point in posting this lol? I agree with all of it....if you wanted to troll and get me upset you should've came harder than this lol.

Dre11

Reaction score
I actually agree with that...Pollard is the perfect complement to Zeke...what was your point in posting this lol? I agree with all of it....if you wanted to troll and get me upset you should've came harder than this lol.

lol, I know what's not there to disagree with.

conner01

Reaction score
I was hoping that someone would mention that. The LEO in Quinn’s defense is often aligned in a wide nine position.
The talent is what’s important
I like Quinn’s scheme but if you look at 49ers their defense wasn’t near as good last year as 2019
The scheme didn’t change so much as the talent changed with all the injuries they had to key defensive players

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
lol, I know what's not there to disagree with.
Right. I mean I get what he's trying to do. I guess because I have disagreements with him about Zeke that he thought i'd disagree but I mean he quoted a very fair statement. He complements Zeke well and he's underrated....hell even Zeke himself would admit that.