Adjusting On Offense With Dalton

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
My biggest concern is his lack of mobility and the less than stellar O line play. Better concoct a game plan that suits that.

SixFiveCowboy

Reaction score
I agree. We’ve kind of lost the identity we created that made the team successful.

I just don’t think the o-line is anywhere near the level it used to be, so if defenses gear up for the run AND our defense keeps allowing points on every possession, things could get really ugly.

Dalton is really solid and has proven capable of being the QB of a good team, but the defense and/or o-line is gonna have to step up.

All facts right here not even in the same planet as before, but the one sliver of solace I take in that is that once handed it off some got them moving forward versus just being attacked down the stretch against the Giants they seemed to hold up a little better. I think we also need to run more slant and go's (SLAGO) routes to keep these db's honest too because I was noticing teams are starting to sit on the quick stuff because Steele is struggling mightily at RT. I think the west coast approach misdirection plays like what the Rams did to us could be very helpful with this OL.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Where do people get these ideas? Dak's career completion percentage is significanly higher than Dalton's. Dalson't best season was 2015 when he completed 66.1. Dak's career AVERAGE is 66.0. "But Dak is just a dink and dunk QB.." Except Dak's career yards per attempt is 7.7 while Dalton's is 7.1. Dak's career passer rating is TWELVE POINTS HIGHER than Dalton's. In has last full Season Dalton put up a QBR of 38.9 and a passer rating of 78.3.

So basically Dak is more efficient, throws for a higher percentage and for more yards per attempt. But Dalton is more accurate? Sure.. whatever you say. I do agree that with Dalton under center we absolutely need to call shorter routes. Dalton has a decent arm but it's not quite as strong as Dak's and while he's not a statue he's not as athletic either. Looking back at the times when Dalton was "leading the Bengals to the playoffs" something jumped out at me. His defense's were 9th, 8th, 5th, 12th, and 2nd in the NFL in those playoff years. Meanwhile the offense was 18th, 12th, 6th, 15th and 7th. Maybe Andy wasn't "leading" as much as he was along for the ride.

Just a warning, if you'll be quoting statistics on this site, you'll be roundly drummed that "stats mean nothing" and "stats don't mean Dak is an accurate quarterback" and "Aikman was a more accurate quarterback" (despite his career 61.5% completions, with 6 years under 60%).

;)

But joking aside, if you're watched the games, Dak has missed more than his share of the "easy" throws, I certainly agree his deep throws are very good, and have said so. But we've also seen more than his share of wide open throws that have gone into the ground, too high or too wide. And some catches were because the receiver made a circus catch of a poorly thrown ball.
Not that other quarterbacks don't have those, but Dak has too many of them, imho as well as others.

And I wonder about the arm strength, isn't Dalton's nickname the "Red Rifle"? You wouldn't think they'd call him that if he didn't have a very strong arm, but maybe that has nothing to do with it. Checked combine results, Dak and Dalton are very close, actually Dalton's ball velocity was 56 mph whereas Dak's was 54, so based on that I don't know Dak's arm is stronger than Daltons. Of course there is more to it than ball velocity, but it's not a big deal either way.

And most routes are "shorter" routes anyway, the days of Daryl Lamonica chunking the football 40 yards downfield every other throw (exaggeration of course) are long gone. Add to that the proliferation of the West Coast offense influence, and I don't see arm strength as being that much of a factor. Noodle arm quarterbacks in the NFL don't exist Dak has been called that on this site, so that gives you an idea as to how that term gets bandied about), they never get on a team, probably never get drafted.

It's all relative anyway, Dalton is no Aaron Rodgers but he's no Tim Tebow either.

I really don't see this team is to any great degree more likely to be more successful with Dalton than Dak, or less so. It's about the same, especially considering the historically lousy defense of the Cowboys at this time.

Good post, I enjoy a good discussion, even if it's with somebody that I don't entirely agree on...

:thumbup:

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
We'll figure out our plan as we move forward..... so no real plan now lol.
I don't think we're going to drastically change.......yeah more Air kellen
Andy can go out there and execute football plays........DUH ? I hope so. sounds like garret?
go through this process..........another uh oh,garrett junior has started a process

We're doomed!!!!!!!!!

:D

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
No, it doesn't have to do with a running QB. It's just the data.

If the quarterback can run, teams have to not only worry about the running back running, based on certain formations, but the quarterback as well, maybe it's not in the data but it does affect teams having to respect the running game as a whole...

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I think the reigns will be pulled in a little more, and that’s not necessarily a bad thing. Play more for the run and hope to God the defense can become competent

Why pull in the reigns if the great Dalton is so much better than Dak? You think Dalton is going to average 37 points per game or better? We were 1-3 averaging that.

Should we call Dalton 40 burger?

Kevinicus

Reaction score
If the quarterback can run, teams have to not only worry about the running back running, based on certain formations, but the quarterback as well, maybe it's not in the data but it does affect teams having to respect the running game as a whole...
Obviously, a QB being able to run is an added threat that defenses have to account for, but that is a separate issue from play-action. A running QB, nor a strong running threat, is required for play-action to be effective.

Read-option, which you're referring to here, is almost like play action for the QB running (except it's not always a QB run play - sometimes the RB does actually take it).
The defense biting on the RB, allows the QB to run, just like it allows them to pass on a traditional play-action.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Obviously, a QB being able to run is an added threat that defenses have to account for, but that is a separate issue from play-action. A running QB, nor a strong running threat, is required for play-action to be effective.

Read-option, which you're referring to here, is almost like play action for the QB running (except it's not always a QB run play - sometimes the RB does actually take it).
The defense biting on the RB, allows the QB to run, just like it allows them to pass on a traditional play-action.

That's was my point, thanks for clarifying my comment

:)

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
As offensive coordinator Kellen Moore said Monday, the team is "heartbroken" over Dak Prescott's ankle injury requiring surgery Sunday night, knowing what Prescott means to the team and how well he played in the first five games of the season.

With Prescott facing a potential four-to-six-month rehab, Moore said the team is in a "fortunate spot" to have a backup with Andy Dalton's experience: 133 starts with the Bengals from 2011-19.

"We've kind of got to regroup, go through this process of seeing what's the adjustment here, and that's just Andy and I working together and spending time together," Moore said. "Obviously it's a different dynamic. Obviously Dak and I have spent a lot of time together over these years and now Andy and I have got to spend time together and go through this process together. I don't think we're going to drastically change. We feel very confident that Andy can go out there and execute football plays and do a good job for us. We'll figure out our plan as we move forward."

https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/updates-october-2020

The offense opens up big time as Dalton can throw all type of passes and reads defenses much better than Dak.
Look for Zeke to find more lanes as the defense will not play STOP ZEKE as if they do they will get burned by the Fab 3.....

Doomsday101

Reaction score
The offense opens up big time as Dalton can throw all type of passes and reads defenses much better than Dak.
Look for Zeke to find more lanes as the defense will not play STOP ZEKE as if they do they will get burned by the Fab 3.....

I don't think Dak was having issues this season of reading defense. You can stop with your Dak BS. I hope Dalton comes in and does a great job because my interest is in the Cowboys not flakes like yourself. Dalton will have the same issue as Dak in that they have no control over the defense. I do not expect Dalton having to throw 40 to 50 times a game to have a chance of winning because our defense can't manage to come up with big stops. Cowboys have to find a way to get this defense going

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't think Dak was having issues this season of reading defense. You can stop with your Dak BS. I hope Dalton comes in and does a great job because my interest is in the Cowboys not flakes like yourself. Dalton will have the same issue as Dak in that they have no control over the defense. I do not expect Dalton having to throw 40 to 50 times a game to have a chance of winning because our defense can't manage to come up with big stops. Cowboys have to find a way to get this defense going

tenor.gif

Now if you don't want to accept them well it's a free country I guess....

jwooten15

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Why pull in the reigns if the great Dalton is so much better than Dak? You think Dalton is going to average 37 points per game or better? We were 1-3 averaging that.

Should we call Dalton 40 burger?
I think you have me confused for someone else. I’m neither a Dak hater, nor a Dalton fan boy. I just want the cowboys to win. Not sure what point you’re trying to make

nalam

The realist
Reaction score
Dalton is more accurate than Dak, on short throws if nothing else. Too may times we've had chances to make good yardage, or a first down, when the play was called perfectly but Dak threw the pass too high, outside on into the ground. ...

Cowboys HAVE to shorten up the plays, there are way too many long developing plays, and imho too many long throws, with the o-line in shambles you simply don't have the time to do that. Quicker passes will go a long way to reducing the rush, but Moore doesn't seem to understand that...

Valid points, Daks short throws were never precise , especially the ones he throw across his body ( no feel ) . thats the one reason our run screens were never sucessful. The pick 6 last week a perfect example. Dalton potentially can be better at those.

Pressure rattling the QBs ... Dak is no exception , that Atlanta game which made Clayborn famous and Chaz Green not so (;)) remember!

Moore needs to understand Quick passes are very much needed to mask OL deficiencies and also move the ball effectively , especially with WRs we have.

cowboyec

Reaction score
#1...secure the snap.
#2...lean on Zeke.
#3...WRx3...learn it...know it...live it.
#4...secure the snap.

RonnieT24

Reaction score

Dalton has parlayed this superior passing ability and defense reading acumen into a MUCH higher INT percentage and a MUCH lower completion percentage despite playing in a mainly WCO passing scheme that features far more short passing than the Air Coryell roots from which our offense emanated. What am I missing? "But Dalton didn't have good receivers.." You know what that sounds like? Excuse making that's what. Dak is better.. get over it.. but please God let us win at least 8 of the next 11 games with Dalton.. er.. driving the bus.

Cebrin

Reaction score
One of the things I really liked from the small sample of Dalton towards the end of that game was his pocket presence. He stood there in the pocket, and made throws. Didn't seem rattled at all. Now, that can also hurt us with this O Line. We shall see. Also, he threw some dimes to Gallup. He's clearly a talented passer. Let's just hope this line doesn't get him killed. If it does? Welp, Denucci, and an early pick.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I think you have me confused for someone else. I’m neither a Dak hater, nor a Dalton fan boy. I just want the cowboys to win. Not sure what point you’re trying to make

Im just trying to get your thoughts on whether Dalton is capable given the Oline and the state of the defense.