Adrian Peterson to Dallas?

irishline

Reaction score
There is only one good reason to sign AP. To limit his carries and yards so he cannot catch Emmitt.

He will be 32 before the season starts and has only played one full season in the last 5 years. Assuming that he plays 4 more years, to catch Emmitt, that would mean that he would need to average 1,652 yards per season (something he has only done twice in his career). Using his current career yards per carry he would need to carry the ball 337 per season over the next 4 years (again something he has only done twice in his career). He also has only averaged 4.9 yards per carry two seasons in his career.

Had he been able to play more than 20 games over the past 3 seasons I believe he may have had a chance to pass Emmitt but given the above statistics, that ship has sailed IMO.

Here are the top running seasons all time by backs over 30 years old:

https://www.sportingcharts.com/articles/nfl/best-running-back-seasons-by-30plus-year-olds.aspx

To pass Emmitt he would need to average either the 2nd best total by a back over 30 every year for 4 years, or the 8th best total every year for 5 years (at age 37 for the last season). Notice the oldest age for the top 20 seasons on that list? It's 32 - the age Peterson will be this year.

Is it impossible? No. Is it probably or even likely? That list shows you how far of an uphill battle it would be. Limiting his carries would not be a good reason to sign him, he needs a miracle to even come close to Emmitt at this point.

Ring Leader

Reaction score
We don't want to damage Zeke's psyche.
That ship has sailed.
He's too old.
He's broken down.
He's not the future.
He's had plenty of time to get it done in Minny and choked.
He doesn't perform in the playoffs and will cost the team wins.
He's too expensive.
He can never take this team to the Super Bowl.
Too many turnovers in win or go home games.
He can't put his team on his shoulders and manufacture playoff wins.
Nobody will want to trade for him.
He won't make it through a full game uninjured.
Minny will probable just release him.
He can't make the defense better.
He wears his hat backwards.
He dates hot blonds.
He flew to Cabo once.

joseephuss

Reaction score
If it happens the offseason's a failure. It would tell you they will once again be gutless with Zeke. He is infinitely better than Peterson these days. Man up and use your talent.

How was Dallas gutless with Elliott this season?

He had a slow start to his season and that was mainly due to missing time in training camp and pre-season due to an injury. Once they got him going they leaned on him heavily. He finished second in the league in touches. That was without playing in the final game and very little against the Lions because Dallas had already clinched HFA. I don't see how Dallas was gutless this season in their usage of Zeke.

joseephuss

Reaction score
I don't see Peterson taking a vet minimum deal. He doesn't seem the type. He is the type of back that needs carries to be effective. Four to five rushing attempts a game isn't going to cut it. The only way Peterson to Dallas makes sense is if Elliott is facing some type of suspension, which I don't think is the case. Even then I just don't think Peterson has it any more.

Reaction score
McFaddon type money, but no more.

And as long as he knows who the man is in Dallas. And its not him.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
When I saw the thread title I thought it was an old thread from a couple of years ago that was bumped up. Signing AP would be a very odd signing, don't know why he would want to come here and finish out his career playing behind Zeke. AP is clearly on the decline rushing for only 72 yards, averaging 1.9 a carry this season. He should just retire instead of trying to prolong his career as a backup just to add a few more career rushing yards.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
The only way Peterson to Dallas makes sense is if Elliott is facing some type of suspension, which I don't think is the case.

Now that you brought that up maybe that's why Peterson is being linked to Dallas. There have been reports posted months ago that the NFL was investigating Zeke so maybe something is going on causing the Cowboys to prepare in the event Zeke is suspended. Can't see any other reason why the Cowboys would be interested in Peterson if there wasn't some concern about Zeke's availability next season.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
He will be 32 before the season starts and has only played one full season in the last 5 years. Assuming that he plays 4 more years, to catch Emmitt, that would mean that he would need to average 1,652 yards per season (something he has only done twice in his career). Using his current career yards per carry he would need to carry the ball 337 per season over the next 4 years (again something he has only done twice in his career). He also has only averaged 4.9 yards per carry two seasons in his career.

Had he been able to play more than 20 games over the past 3 seasons I believe he may have had a chance to pass Emmitt but given the above statistics, that ship has sailed IMO.

Here are the top running seasons all time by backs over 30 years old:

https://www.sportingcharts.com/articles/nfl/best-running-back-seasons-by-30plus-year-olds.aspx

To pass Emmitt he would need to average either the 2nd best total by a back over 30 every year for 4 years, or the 8th best total every year for 5 years (at age 37 for the last season). Notice the oldest age for the top 20 seasons on that list? It's 32 - the age Peterson will be this year.

Is it impossible? No. Is it probably or even likely? That list shows you how far of an uphill battle it would be. Limiting his carries would not be a good reason to sign him, he needs a miracle to even come close to Emmitt at this point.

Oh, I agree wholeheartedly. I was just thinking to myself, why would Dallas even consider this? Making sure he doesn't catch Emmitt was the best reason I could come up with and even that was half joking.

Proof

Reaction score
what an odd series of responses in this thread.

it's all speculation at this point, but ... what if he wanted to come on a 1-2 yr vet minimum deal. he's made a LOT of money in his career, and clearly wants or wanted to play for the Cowboys. his best days are behind him, and I doubt that he's expecting a bidding frenzy for his services, or even a starters role anywhere. So maybe, just maybe he's interested in playing behind Zeke, with the best line in football, back home, for reasonable money and potentially a championship. It takes a pretty big leap in logic to just assume hearing his name that we want to go out and give him top dollar and split carries with Zeke lol. Chill.

Titleist

Reaction score
We don't want to damage Zeke's psyche.
That ship has sailed.
He's too old.
He's broken down.
He's not the future.
He's had plenty of time to get it done in Minny and choked.
He doesn't perform in the playoffs and will cost the team wins.
He's too expensive.
He can never take this team to the Super Bowl.
Too many turnovers in win or go home games.
He can't put his team on his shoulders and manufacture playoff wins.
Nobody will want to trade for him.
He won't make it through a full game uninjured.
Minny will probable just release him.
He can't make the defense better.
He wears his hat backwards.
He dates hot blonds.
He flew to Cabo once.
Tell us how you really feel!

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
How was Dallas gutless with Elliott this season?

He had a slow start to his season and that was mainly due to missing time in training camp and pre-season due to an injury. Once they got him going they leaned on him heavily. He finished second in the league in touches. That was without playing in the final game and very little against the Lions because Dallas had already clinched HFA. I don't see how Dallas was gutless this season in their usage of Zeke.

Well, we were definitely gutless in the playoffs with his usage. I begged for 30+ touches before that game.....we were gutless and weak minded.