FEATURED AFC Bills-vs-Bengals Game Reschedule Speculation (no conspiracies)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Do NOT discuss Damar Hamlin or the injury in this thread!

If you discuss Damar Hamlin in this thread, your account will be suspended!

There is already a thread in the Fan Zone for discussing Damar Hamlin.

This thread was ONLY created because some people seem concerned about the continuation of the game so we are giving those members a place to do so away from the Damar Hamlin thread.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
No good, easy or clear solutions. I say just declare it a tie and move on to next weekend's slate of games.
Good news is the league has positioned themselves to really not get this wrong. Buffalo players have mostly gone back to Buffalo. From the 2020 season we learned that Wednesday was typically the deadline to make up games. I see almost zero chance of that happening.

It either becomes a tie/no contest, or they push back the playoffs a week. Honestly I think neither option is a bad one. Pushing the playoffs back a week feels right to me for a variety of reasons. 1) You are not rushing either of these teams back into action. 2) If we are really focused on player safety why not give these athletes a week off before playing 18, 19, 20+ games? It's better on the players, gives injured guys more time before rushing back too early, etc. I would be on board with having a week off before the playoffs start every year to be honest.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
happened during the covid season so not unprecedented but tough yes
Who knows what the NFL will do so maybe you're right, but I just can't see it happening. The league pushing these teams to play this week is a PR nightmare. Not to mention most Buffalo players/staff are already out of Cincinnati so it becomes a logistical nightmare as well.

My money is on the game getting completed, but not this week.

EST_1986

Reaction score
Who knows what the NFL will do so maybe you're right, but I just can't see it happening. The league pushing these teams to play this week is a PR nightmare. Not to mention most Buffalo players/staff are already out of Cincinnati so it becomes a logistical nightmare as well.

My money is on the game getting completed, but not this week.
its an hour flight, how early do they usually get into town anyway? PR nightmare vs logistics nightmare is probably what theyre weighing, money for me would go with them taking a PR hit.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Tough break all around.
Playing the game Wednesday could hurt both these teams the next game and in their playoff positioning….especially if neither gets the bye.
These are top Super Bowl contenders and home and even a bye were up for grabs

Bengals had them in Cincy (who had won 7 straight) marched right down for a TD like hot knife thru butter.
And then were marching again.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Tough break all around.
Playing the game Wednesday could hurt both these teams the next game and in their playoff positioning….especially if neither gets the bye.
These are top Super Bowl contenders and home and even a bye were up for grabs

Bengals had them in Cincy (who had won 7 straight) marched right down for a TD like hot knife thru butter.
And then were marching again.
Yeah from a competitive balance standpoint, CIncinnati has a lot to lose here. They play Baltimore potentially for the division this week, and possibly a first round bye had they won against Buffalo. They could in theory swing from a #1 seed to a wild card team depending on how this plays out.

Dallasfann

Reaction score
I understand this is insensitive to say at this time but the truth is, feelings and everything to the side for a split second, I don't think people understand how much money rides on this decision. Going to be very interesting to see what they decide. I can't imagine the money Vegas alone has on this decision.

Fritsch_the_cat

Reaction score
People who are saying you can't play the game now, or shouldn't, well, I grew up at a race track, men get badly hurt and killed, it's accepted that it is part of the sport. It is a dangerous thing. When it happens, men put their helmets back on, strap in and continue to race. It's what they do.

Players and fans have to accept that about the NFL, that serious injury comes with the territory. Thank god death is rare in football. If you can't accept that, you need to find something else to do. It might sound cold, but it is just the brutal facts of life. The game must go on. Playing the game does not dishonor Damar Hamlin, pretty sure if he could talk, he'd say play the game.

triplets_93

Reaction score
When a NASCAR player wrecks and is taken away in an ambulance... the race goes on... But I think it was right to stop this game.

The NFL never stated the game would start after a 5 minute warmup, as ESPN reported on-air. ESPN should apologize.

I checked to see what ESPN has posted about this, and they left out addressing how they came to make their on-air statement about a 5 minute warmup. ESPN simply deflected to the statement that NFL executive vice president of football operations Troy Vincent made in the media conference call that happened later: "Vincent said that there was not a discussion between him and commissioner Roger Goodell about a five-minute period for players to get warmed up and that resuming play did not cross their minds."

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id...ses-field-bills-bengals-temporarily-suspended

https://apnews.com/article/damar-ha...nati-bengals-c9f684bdaccd1e3f77bda6c77baca75e

Last edited:

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
I understand this is insensitive to say at this time but the truth is, feelings and everything to the side for a split second, I don't think people understand how much money rides on this decision. Going to be very interesting to see what they decide. I can't imagine the money Vegas alone has on this decision.
I don't think that is insensitive at all, and to be honest, it has to be a part of the league's decision. Plenty of reasonable options out there that can allow the league to show empathy while still keeping the competitive balance and not significantly hurting the financials. I think fans everywhere can discuss the bigger picture while still sending positive thoughts and prayers to this young man and everyone involved with the situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.