FEATURED AFC Bills-vs-Bengals Game Reschedule Speculation (no conspiracies)

Status
Not open for further replies.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
People who are saying you can't play the game now, or shouldn't, well, I grew up at a race track, men get badly hurt and killed, it's accepted that it is part of the sport. It is a dangerous thing. When it happens, men put their helmets back on, strap in and continue to race. It's what they do.

Players and fans have to accept that about the NFL, that serious injury comes with the territory. Thank god death is rare in football. If you can't accept that, you need to find something else to do. It might sound cold, but it is just the brutal facts of life. The game must go on. Playing the game does not dishonor Damar Hamlin, pretty sure if he could talk, he'd say play the game.
While I partially agree with what you are saying, and I grew up with that same type of environment you are speaking about, it doesn't make it right to expect anyone to witness a tragedy and just go back to work. In this situation not only did an event happen, but it's a situation that is still developing.

The show will still go on, these players will go back to work, and as a society, we probably forget the name of Damar Hamlin too soon despite the outcome. I think it needs to be OK if these guys don't go back to work today or tomorrow though. It's best for the players and the sport to show these guys some love right now though. No chance the Bills will be emotionally invested in playing a game right now, so why force them?

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
They have to play this game for seeding. I think the game will be played on Wednesday and they will push back the Patriots-Bills and Ravens-Bengals to Monday night.
Interesting thought, but I just can't see any team being OK with having a short week right before the playoffs begin. I would argue that affects competitive balance more than the effects of seeding by not finishing the game, but who knows what is going though the minds of the league office right now.

Aven8

Reaction score
Yeah from a competitive balance standpoint, CIncinnati has a lot to lose here. They play Baltimore potentially for the division this week, and possibly a first round bye had they won against Buffalo. They could in theory swing from a #1 seed to a wild card team depending on how this plays out.

Had Cincy won last night they would have won the division I believe.

Dallasfann

Reaction score
They have to play this game for seeding. I think the game will be played on Wednesday and they will push back the Patriots-Bills and Ravens-Bengals to Monday night.

They wouldn't even necessarily have to push it to Monday. If they played Wednesday and Sunday it's no different then playing Sunday and then Thursday Night Football.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Had Cincy won last night they would have won the division I believe.
Yeah I believe you are correct. I think they would either play for the division with a loss against buffalo or seeding with a win against Buffalo.

Aven8

Reaction score
Yeah I believe you are correct. I think they would either play for the division with a loss against buffalo or seeding with a win against Buffalo.

Just looked it up, had Buffalo won they still wouldn’t be able to clinch HFA yet because KC won in Denver. Cincy would have won division with a win since Balty lost.

Davidlee1973

Reaction score
The game is not secondary. They are two separate things. The game needs to be played. People paid to see the game and spent big money. Some saved all year just for that one game. Millions of dollars with where playoff games will be held hangs in the balance. Hamlin hopefully will have a full recovery. I don’t see why people can’t address these issues separately

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
IMO 19th week is the only answer. I think it's best for the teams involved and honestly its best for the rest of the league. Let guys heal up a bit after a full 18 week season with a week off. Player safety is the focal point right now, rushing these guys back to play tomorrow would be a huge miss.

J12B

Reaction score
IMO 19th week is the only answer. I think it's best for the teams involved and honestly its best for the rest of the league. Let guys heal up a bit after a full 18 week season with a week off. Player safety is the focal point right now, rushing these guys back to play tomorrow would be a huge miss.

I think you are 100% right.

An extra bye week after the season for all playoff teams would be best for players health and safety.

Aven8

Reaction score

The only thing I see with this is commitments for the stadium’s from outside vendors in place. This has happened in the past in Jerry world it seems with a monster truck rally scheduled etc.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score

An extra bye week after the season for all playoff teams would be best for players health and safety.
Yeah I wouldnt hate that just being built into the schedule every year. It gives you an extra week in case of an odd situation but giving everyone an extra week off before the most important games of the year just makes a ton of sense.

aikemirv

Reaction score

Yep - 17 games is too many anyway. The though of going to 18 should be a no go but I know they are doing it anyway. The players should have known better than agree to this but obvioulsy they all did it for the money (players and owners) without realizing the consequences of this action. People careers are going to be shortened going to 18 games.

anava

Reaction score
Would the Bengals and/ or Bills be at a disadvantage? They wouldnt be getting the extra rest and the teams playing them would most likely get an extra week to prepare.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
I know that once Hamlin is alert he is going to tell his teammates to go win the game. It's going to be super emotional for the entire league, but adding an extra week is a great idea.

I think the entire NFL needs some time to recover from this.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
The only thing I see with this is commitments for the stadium’s from outside vendors in place. This has happened in the past in Jerry world it seems with a monster truck rally scheduled etc.
Fair point, that and TV deals. Networks pay a ton of money to have certain games on certain days. Moving the Superbowl back a week could create some serious headaches, but I also think the league can figure it out if they really want to.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
I have another wild idea: have all the games without playoff implications be played Sunday as scheduled; then let the Bengals and Bills play on Monday Night again.

Add the extra week and have all the games WITH playoff implications be played January 15; including the Bills and Bengals' last game.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Would the Bengals and/ or Bills be at a disadvantage? They wouldnt be getting the extra rest and the teams playing them would most likely get an extra week to prepare.
True, but both teams will be at a disadvantage no matter what at this point. They either call the game a no contest, have them play a mid week game, or give other teams extra rest. Sucks anyway you put it for these teams, but reality is there really isnt a "good" answer.

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
A 19th week game will affect the commencement of the wildcard playoffs, right? With only one bi, how can they fit a 19th week game? I'm sure I'm overlooking something

Status
Not open for further replies.