After 2 games, Henson leads NFL Europe

gbrittain

Reaction score
Galian Beast said:
Another funny fact is that Kurt Warner NEVER would have started had (much like Brady and Bledsoe) Trent Green never been injured. Kurt Warner wasn't even the 2nd quarterback on the depth chart. Paul Justin was. He just happened to be injured as well.

ANOTHER funny fact. ST. Louis' Marc Bulger also didn't have a star studded beginning.

He was a 6th round draft pick by the Saints no less in 2000. Gut cut in Training camp, and joined in on going quarterback carousel within the nfc. He spent two weeks on Atlanta's practice squad, then joined St. Louis' practice squad. He spent his first season with the Rams as an inactive 3rd quarterback.

Bulger would never have become a starter had Warner not been injured (like Trent Green before him). Dude probably would have been sent to NFL Europe sooner or later.

Matt Hasslebeck - 6th round draft pick in 1998 by the packers, backed up Brett Favre. Traded to the seahawks in 2001.

Mark Brunell - Drafted in the 5th round by Green Bay in 1993. Backed up Brett Favre... Didn't play in 1993, saw limited action in 94. The Jaguars got him in 95. quickly became a pro bowler.

Trent Green - drafted in the 8th round in 1993 by the chargers, didn't play a single game until 1997 with the Commanders, became the Commanders starter in 1998. Then saw limited playing time with the Rams. Before going to Kansas City. Where he has been a pro bowl quality qb since 2002.

Brad Johnson - Drafted in 1992 by the Vikings in the 9th round, didn't play a single game until his 3rd year, where he played 4 games, played 5 games is his 4th year. Then started 8 games in his 5th year.

QBs aren't all Peyton Mannings...

Very interesting and good post.

I posted something similiar to this a while back.

For example Ben R was not scheduled to play his rookie year. Tommy Maddox was. Tommy Maddox went down with an injury and all Ben R does is goes out wins every game as a starter other than the AFC championship game.

Tom Brady stuck behind Drew Bledsoe. Drew Bledsoe gets hurt and the rest is history. Kurt Warner ditto.

Sometimes a player has to see the field before a coach knows what he has. Everything can not always be determined in the offseason and preseason.

RCowboyFan

Reaction score
gbrittain said:
Very interesting and good post.

I posted something similiar to this a while back.

For example Ben R was not scheduled to play his rookie year. Tommy Maddox was. Tommy Maddox went down with an injury and all Ben R does is goes out wins every game as a starter other than the AFC championship game.

Tom Brady stuck behind Drew Bledsoe. Drew Bledsoe gets hurt and the rest is history. Kurt Warner ditto.

Sometimes a player has to see the field before a coach knows what he has. Everything can not always be determined in the offseason and preseason.

Sometimes coach might think he as something, but practice/scrimmage is quite different than actual Sunday NFL games. Thats why most coaches are leary of letting Young players play.

Heck, Carson Palmer,didn't look so hot when he did start after year sitting on the bench did he? Its actually co-incidence, that it seems like both Palmer and Ben credit Cowboys game that made them believe in themselves. Ben because he got Steelers to come from behind on the road, till then he was just about managing the game. Palmer was struggling mightly till Cowboys game his second year. Heck I know plenty of people were blaming Bengals for handing the starting job to Carson Palmer instead of letting him win the job.

Come Third year, Carson is now the hottest thing after Peyton, as far as pure throwing ability is concerned. Maybe next it will be Eli Manning, but even after two years, Eli remains a question mark. And Erni Eccorsi apparently told Kerry Collins that Eli was the best QB prospect he saw in 20 years, as to why he was going to go with Eli vs Collins. Well, I guess he wasn't or uptill now that doesn't seem to be remotely the case.

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
Bledsoe4MVP said:
:horse:

Look I'm sorry if you guys are upset over my opinion on the matter, perhaps deep down you share my sentiments......I will try to keep an open mind but I just don't see him panning out. I'm also concerned over the things I've heard and read about him (specifically his NFL Europe journals)....it seems that Henson might be a bit immature, and that is a fatal flaw as a starting NFL QB....just ask Ryan Leif! :(

Yes I'm rooting for TO because he's a proven veteran and I believe he's finally cleaned up his act. So comparing him to an unknown like Henson don't make much sense.

Listen, Nors Lite..

That's funny..Henson is immature...but you'll put Owens name in your sig.

And Owens has "cleaned up his act" based on what? Because he spoke the words? T

Never mind..

Hellloooooo wall....

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Bledsoe4MVP said:
Remember that when Henson is cut this august...I might not work for ESPN, but my football intuition is pretty keen none the less. There's a reason Henson is in NFL Europe and right now he's fighting for his survival!
No, the reason he is there is because he went to the organization and said IF they thought it would help his development he'd do whatever it takes.

Keen intuition? Forgive me for not being too wowed by your football intuition to this point. I've seen nothing amazing other than a high amount of syrup love for one player.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Juke99 said:
How do ya not root for a guy like this?

AGENDA

wow, how many times have you had that answer given to you after the countless times you've asked that very same question? :laugh2:

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Jarv said:
Darts. It used to be a good thing.

Accurate darts thrown to recievers I thought was a great compliment.

But its not good when we are talking about Henson ?

Break down all 32 teams starting QB's...All golfers swings...All pitchers motions.

I'm sure you'll see a lot of different styles.

there's a reason QBs have different styles of throwing motions...comfort level, so why knock a guy's comfort level? I just don't get it Jarv

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Galian Beast said:
It is hilarious to hear about "fans" who say we should have signed Jake Delhomme. They don't even know his history.

The dude went undrafted, and was sent to NFL Europe to backup Kurt Warner. He was the 3rd string QB for New Orleans. He was then sent BACK to NFL Europe AGAIN.

In 5 years with the Saints he played 6 games, starting only two games.

He lead the NFC in preseson passing rating in 2002 and 2001. But to say... We should have picked him up is ridiculous considering the people who are calling Henson a bust...

Jake Delhomme is currently 31 years old. And this will be his ninth season in the NFL.

You're judging a quarterback WAY too quickly.

:hammer:

and yet people still think that Henson will show them the future this spring

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
RCowboyFan said:
And his first start was against Cowboys, which he won :mad: :D

And I had that unfortunate pleasure of watching that game in the stadium, my first game in the stadium to watch cowboys. And that was back in 1999 too.

I remember that game, Christmas Day, oh the Campo years :bang2:

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Galian Beast said:
Another funny fact is that Kurt Warner NEVER would have started had (much like Brady and Bledsoe) Trent Green never been injured. Kurt Warner wasn't even the 2nd quarterback on the depth chart. Paul Justin was. He just happened to be injured as well.

ANOTHER funny fact. ST. Louis' Marc Bulger also didn't have a star studded beginning.

He was a 6th round draft pick by the Saints no less in 2000. Gut cut in Training camp, and joined in on going quarterback carousel within the nfc. He spent two weeks on Atlanta's practice squad, then joined St. Louis' practice squad. He spent his first season with the Rams as an inactive 3rd quarterback.

Bulger would never have become a starter had Warner not been injured (like Trent Green before him). Dude probably would have been sent to NFL Europe sooner or later.

Matt Hasslebeck - 6th round draft pick in 1998 by the packers, backed up Brett Favre. Traded to the seahawks in 2001.

Mark Brunell - Drafted in the 5th round by Green Bay in 1993. Backed up Brett Favre... Didn't play in 1993, saw limited action in 94. The Jaguars got him in 95. quickly became a pro bowler.

Trent Green - drafted in the 8th round in 1993 by the chargers, didn't play a single game until 1997 with the Commanders, became the Commanders starter in 1998. Then saw limited playing time with the Rams. Before going to Kansas City. Where he has been a pro bowl quality qb since 2002.

Brad Johnson - Drafted in 1992 by the Vikings in the 9th round, didn't play a single game until his 3rd year, where he played 4 games, played 5 games is his 4th year. Then started 8 games in his 5th year.

QBs aren't all Peyton Mannings...

you're on a roll dude :bow:

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Bledsoe4MVP said:
it seems that Henson might be a bit immature, and that is a fatal flaw as a starting NFL QB

:jerk: I don't get that impression at all, seems he's saying all the right things, that's definately maturity, even if he doesn't mean them or not, of which I believe he does mean it

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
gbrittain said:

*ding* *ding* like I've continuously stated, it's not where you're from, it's how you're developed in the NFL