After further review a week later, Refs stole game from Cowboys vs Packers once again

MarcusRock

Reaction score
McGovern didn't prevent him. He followed the DT's movement. You would have an argument if the DT was trying to go one way while McGovern was moving the opposite way, but the video clearly shows McGovern moving with the DT.

While restricting his path to the ball carrier which is what the rule actually states and nothing about following movement. You said OL are supposed to let go "as soon as the ball carrier reaches them." McGovern didn't let go until Davis was already past him. A hold even by your own definition. Thanks for clarifying.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
AC, look at McGovern's right hand, grabbing the DL's jersey near his ribs and keeping him from turning toward Davis.
That's not preventing the DT was moving towards the runner. The DT moved late. He simply pulled a LeBron and flopped on purpose to get the call. He even proved that was his intention when he got up cheering the flag. He was all elated knowing full well his Hollywood act helped his team. It would have been a hold if McGovern would have stayed clamped to him as he went to the ground, but that was not the case. That DT flopped and he even got you to believe in his flop. Crooked officials should be smarter than that to understand a flop between a true hold.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
While restricting his path to the ball carrier which is what the rule actually states and nothing about following movement. You said OL are supposed to let go "as soon as the ball carrier reaches them." McGovern didn't let go until Davis was already past him. A hold even by your own definition. Thanks for clarifying.
Nope. You're wrong. McGovern let go as the RB was running by.

Sydla

Reaction score
Nope. That's part of the game. Your feelings seriously is what is clouding your mind. Cowboys aren't going to play exactly how you want them to every week.

Part of the game or not, the Cowboys blew a 14 point lead due to poor play in the 4th Q. That’s simply a fact. That cost them the game more than a questionable hold.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
That Dlineman played the refs too. Was very happy his ploy worked. His reaction is one of satisfaction, not anger over being held. Satisfaction that his dive sold the holding call.

That's one of the problems with holding. It seems like (at least against us), once a defender is taken to the ground, it's an automatic hold. However, you can knock a player to the ground without holding. We had one called against us in the Giants game where the offensive player (I believe it was a tight end) did not hold but instead shoved the defender to the ground.

Sydla

Reaction score
No, not true. Overtime is part of the game whether you like it or not.

OT doesn’t happen if the Cowboys play better in the 4th Q.

Put it this way, if the Pack get the ball and score a TD first in OT, what’s the cause of our loss? The fact we imploded in regulation.

Also, who’s to say that if they don’t call a hold, we throw a pick on the next play? Or get sacked and pushed out of FG range? You can’t conclude that the questionable hold cost us the game.

CWR

Reaction score
AC, look at McGovern's right hand, grabbing the DL's jersey near his ribs and keeping him from turning toward Davis.

I think more than anything it kept him from getting his left arm up. In real time it was pretty quick. Holds are tough because it happens so often without a call. In this instance he had 2 major things going against him. The ball carrier was hitting that gap and the defender went to the ground.

Then, when you watch GB employ the "hug technique," it's maddening to see how much they've gotten away with. It's a borderline hold all the time. I don't know if they are still teaching it though. Either way, they had a great run with it.

In any event I won't argue it's a hold. It's a tough call in game speed, but maybe made more on optics than actually being able to see McGovern hold. As I've said before I'll accept it as long as they don't lose that flag on a blatantly obvious 3rd down PI.

Sydla

Reaction score
I think more than anything it kept him from getting his left arm up. In real time it was pretty quick. Holds are tough because it happens so often without a call. In this instance he had 2 major things going against him. The ball carrier was hitting that gap and the defender went to the ground.

Then, when you watch GB employ the "hug technique," it's maddening to see how much they've gotten away with. It's a borderline hold all the time. I don't know if they are still teaching it though. Either way, they had a great run with it.

In any event I won't argue it's a hold. It's a tough call in game speed, but maybe made more on optics than actually being able to see McGovern hold. As I've said before I'll accept it as long as they don't lose that flag on a blatantly obvious 3rd down PI.

The PI call was way worse.

Reactions: CWR

America's Cowboy

Reaction score

Put it this way, if the Pack get the ball and score a TD first in OT, what’s the cause of our loss? The fact we imploded in regulation.

Also, who’s to say that if they don’t call a hold, we throw a pick on the next play? Or get sacked and pushed out of FG range? You can’t conclude that the questionable hold cost us the game.
You're basing your explanation on "what ifs". I'm basing it on facts and videos. That was not a hold that should have resulted in a 1st down.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
While Connor McGovern’s play as a whole has been solid this season, the guard is not far removed from a brutal holding call against the Green Bay Packers in Week 10.

After surrendering a 28-14 lead in the second half, Dallas had the ball in overtime and a chance to still win. Pollard received a handoff and busted through the center of the line for a big gain, but the play was brought back for a holding call on McGovern.

The play stalled the drive, which was followed by Green Bay eventually winning the game 31-28. McGovern is convinced it wasn’t a hold even after watching the play afterward.

“Once I felt the back go past me, I let go. I didn’t grab anything,” McGovern said. “The ref said I tried to restrict him, tried to tackle him. Watching it on the replay, watching it on the iPad, I still don’t see it.”

Clear as day, the officials screwed the Cowboys over the Packers once again.

Yes another bad call by the refs. And when there is an obvious foul committed against us there is no call.

CWR

Reaction score

That's the same logic that gets me through the DEZ catch.

My knowledge the defense would've folded like a lawn chair. Lol

MarcusRock

Reaction score
You're basing your explanation on "what ifs". I'm basing it on facts and videos.

The same facts and videos that show McGovern with a hold on a defender trying to change directions and not letting go until the ball carrier is past him, which by your own definition is a hold? Go figure. You yourself called it a hold then tried to invent some "same direction" distraction. Lol.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
Learn what holding is. When you materially restrict the defender's path to the ball carrier by any number of means, it's a hold.

Mc-G-Hold-GIF1.gif

If that is a hold than why isn't Parsons getting called for it?