Agent: Can the Cowboys afford not to give Dak a record-breaking extension

Chasing6

Reaction score
I made that post before I saw Mike was coming back. Rebuild out now. Probably never was realistic but no point in me even talking about it now. Because the only thing worse than bringing McCarthy back is rebuilding with McCarthy.
It actually is rebuilding with Jerry.

BigD_95

Reaction score
In other words, there is no clean way out of this for many fans.......take your pick. Good luck! (lol) This is messy.......

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...ive-dak-prescott-a-record-breaking-extension/

Agent's Take: Can Cowboys afford not to give Dak Prescott a record-breaking extension?​

The Cowboys are in a financial pickle when it comes to their franchise QB​

By Joel Corry

54 mins ago•8 min read

The Dallas Cowboys' season came to a shocking end in the wild-card playoff round with a 48-32 home loss to the Green Bay Packers. A No. 7 seed hadn't won a postseason game since the NFL expanded the playoffs to 14 teams in the 2020 season.

Cowboys quarterback Dak Prescott took his share of the blame for the historic upset loss. "I sucked tonight, that was it," said Prescott postgame.

Prescott completed 41 of 60 passes (68.3%) for 403 yards with three touchdowns and two interceptions, including one for a pick six. The stat line is misleading because Prescott did most of his damage in garbage time. Green Bay's first-year starting quarterback Jordan Love thoroughly outplayed Prescott. After trailing the Packers 48-16 in the fourth quarter, Prescott connected on 17 of 21 passes (81%) for 210 yards with two touchdowns.

Reading this is depressing. This is why I was so against resigning this bum. He has Dallas hands tied. The best thing Jerry can do is leak a rumor they want to trade Dak. Make him feel unwanted so he wants to leave. It’s that or just cut him and suffer for a year. Why pay him 50 + million a year. Just take the hit and see what Lance has next year. Make 2024 a throw away year because it will be anyways if Dak is the QB

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
It’s really hard to be optimistic about the near future when Jerry seems to be content with winning 12 games and losing in the playoffs. I don’t get the logic of bringing MM back
I mean Jerry says he thinks they are close. As a homer I don't even know what the hell he's smoking or drinking on to say that. I'm not these other guys....I don't think we lost to a great Packers team. We probably lost to the 4th or 5th best team in the West if that.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
MM must have some pictures lol
I don’t get it. I’m generally a see the bright side of things guy but I don’t see how you could bring MM back with 3 goid options out there. All who have proven they are good coaches and a couple who have won as much as us with a lot less talent
It's odd for sure, especially with only a year left on MM deal. Very strong endorsement of MM.......maybe the fact either one of those coaches would want to strip down the offense ( playbook, and a few offensive pieces, Dak included ). We have no idea how much input Jerry got from other trusted people in his circle before making this decision. Hell, for we know he could have had a small chat with Belichick and/or Parcell to get their advice. Notice he didn't mention anything about an MM extension........

HMJYay

Reaction score
Yep.

If you’re goal is to keep Dak you gotta get Belichick.

If you don’t do that then we know how this ends.

If you can’t win with Belichick then so be it.
BB wouldn’t win with him either. If the Broncos can get rid of Wilson one year into a contract the Cowboys can do this much easier.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
He's done. The look on his face after GB scored that first TD told me that. He can't be fixed in Dallas. He needs to go to another team that isn't constantly under the microscope.
that is my concern too, it's mental re the playoffs with him, we can pontificate "he's a loser", he's dumb, he's blah blah," but he has won in the regular season, and puts up good numbers. However, he now has a playoff block and the pressure next year will be immense. He looked good in the first game last year on the road, but this year, mental block again. Not sure how he recovers with us.

ICP

Reaction score
Honestly what difference does it make. It's not like those two stupid fools are going to all of a sudden start making good decisions

conner01

Reaction score
It's odd for sure, especially with only a year left on MM deal. Very strong endorsement of MM.......maybe the fact either one of those coaches would want to strip down the offense ( playbook, and a few offensive pieces, Dak included ). We have no idea how much input Jerry got from other trusted people in his circle before making this decision. Hell, for we know he could have had a small chat with Belichick and/or Parcell to get their advice. Notice he didn't mention anything about an MM extension........
I did notice that which is also odd to me. But Jerry does lots of odd things to me. I get wanting to keep the offense the same and see the logic, even though I don’t agree with it lol

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I did notice that which is also odd to me. But Jerry does lots of odd things to me. I get wanting to keep the offense the same and see the logic, even though I don’t agree with it lol
Talk about a clear mandate.....lol
Hell, you can argue MM's 2024 seat is already hot.......will stay hot until next year's NFCCG (lol)

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
Fans are upset and frustrated, I get that but I'm not surprised. I will say this.......Jerry has to feel pretty strongly about MM to resist the urge to fire him with Harbaugh, Belichick and Vrabel all on the market.
Unless he has a strong sense none of those men want to work for him. All three will have choices. How could he reconcile them all selecting other teams?

Chasing6

Reaction score
Reading this is depressing. This is why I was so against resigning this bum. He has Dallas hands tied. The best thing Jerry can do is leak a rumor they want to trade Dak. Make him feel unwanted so he wants to leave. It’s that or just cut him and suffer for a year. Why pay him 50 + million a year. Just take the hit and see what Lance has next year. Make 2024 a throw away year because it will be anyways if Dak is the QB
Well again this is Jerry's fault. Why back yourself in to a corner with a contract like that?

boysfanperiod

Reaction score
Tired of having one player hold the team hostage. They are keeping McCarthy. Quinn is probably gone by his own volition. The next step should be to let Dak go.

If McCarthy could have success with Dak, why couldn't he have it with Lance or another QB?

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
In other words, there is no clean way out of this for many fans.......take your pick. Good luck! (lol) This is messy.......

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...ive-dak-prescott-a-record-breaking-extension/

Agent's Take: Can Cowboys afford not to give Dak Prescott a record-breaking extension?​

The Cowboys are in a financial pickle when it comes to their franchise QB​

By Joel Corry

54 mins ago•8 min read

The Dallas Cowboys' season came to a shocking end in the wild-card playoff round with a 48-32 home loss to the Green Bay Packers. A No. 7 seed hadn't won a postseason game since the NFL expanded the playoffs to 14 teams in the 2020 season.

Cowboys quarterback Dak Prescott took his share of the blame for the historic upset loss. "I sucked tonight, that was it," said Prescott postgame.

Prescott completed 41 of 60 passes (68.3%) for 403 yards with three touchdowns and two interceptions, including one for a pick six. The stat line is misleading because Prescott did most of his damage in garbage time. Green Bay's first-year starting quarterback Jordan Love thoroughly outplayed Prescott. After trailing the Packers 48-16 in the fourth quarter, Prescott connected on 17 of 21 passes (81%) for 210 yards with two touchdowns.

Hello Trey and Goodbye Dak.
No way we can afford to keep a QB who has proven cannot beat good teams and faulters in the playoffs year in year out.
Post June 1st cut.................there is simply no other solution.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
The only people who want us to extend dak are Eagles fans. This board has been run over with Eagles fans wanting us to extend the choker. sheesh......where have the good times gone, and are they gone forever.......

TWOK11

Reaction score
Not if you’re trying to win now, which with keeping MM on the last year of his deal is the only feasible path forward.

Dallas can free up $50 million this offseason if they want to but resigning Dak to a deal that lowers his cap hit by $20-30 million is a part of that. If you want to have a team that is better in 2024 than 2023 the only way that even begins to be possible is by resigning him.