Agent: Can the Cowboys afford not to give Dak a record-breaking extension

Kwyn

Reaction score
Easy to get rid fo him, Cut him June 1st, take a 24 million dollar cap hit gain 34 million in cap space this year.
Next year take another 24 million cap hit and gain 11 in cap space

Easy peasy... do it now. Find an alternative. All of these guys are FA's
Minshew, Tyrod, Baker, Huntley, Brisett, Tannehill, Cousins, Darnold

If the team opens its eyes, they can get a stop gap just like Dak is at a much cheaper price. We need a real QB either way.
You won’t get Baker or Cousins. Those other guys all suck.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
It’s a real difficult decision. You trade him, there is a risk of returning to the Dave Campo days, you keep him and it’s difficult to build a team around him.

FoxF

Reaction score
The market will decide what Dak gets, I’d say he is in that Kirk Cousins range but time will tell. I can’t see him resetting the market and getting a top contract.

slick325

Reaction score
Man, what a financial pickle Jerry and Stephen put themselves in.

These clowns are not only going to extend Prescott and make him a $60M AAV guy, but they will sell everyone that Big Mike and the staff should get one last run. Dan Quinn may get a pay increase as well if he doesn't get the HC job he wants.

The whole gang will be back, folks. Maybe only Quinn and a few players change.

Cowboys!

Brooksey

Reaction score
DO not re-sign, nice guy but he sucks under pressure. He's got the playoff yips

Let him walk take the hit, draft another QB and get Trey Lance going

Kwyn

Reaction score
What is wrong with a stop gap solution for next year? Should we pay Dak 53-55 per year and be stuck at the wildcard level?
You know Minshew was one game away from getting to the wildcard game!!!!!
Oh, ok. We have a new franchise QB the next year?

BoysForLife

Reaction score
I would be fine. I was fine after Aikman.

We have some Zonr posted calling for blood that *always* call for blood. If we blow it up and the results are the most likely outcome of most nuke and build (ongoing failure making 12-5 look like the glory days), those same posters will call for blood again.

If Jerry sold the team and we rebuilt from scratch those *same* posters would be howling for the blood of the new owner and the new coach and the new QB.

That’s a simple fact of the Zone. For every crazy “bootlicking homer” there are an equal (or greater) number of “haters” who will never be happy until another dynasty is not only possible but in the books.

Then they can start howling again.

I’m a pragmatist. I can go for a full rebuild but I dread the inevitable “sameness” that we will continue to see as we try to scrape through the muck and the grime of multiple 6 win seasons.

Again, I’ll be fine either way because I’m a fan when we win and when we lose. I guess I’m blessed.
I get you.

My perspective as long time fan is I go back to Jimmy's first couple of years

They blew it up and it was ugly. 1-15 was ugly

But by year two, 7-9
Still losing record but you could see the pieces being put in place for the future and it was exciting

Was that a tough period? Sure but look what came of it. It was exciting to see the progress and frankly that 7-9 season in 1990 was a helluva lot more fun than this years 12-5, 2 seed season. Because I already knew how this was going to end

Are you honestly having fun as a cowboy fan right now? Was Sunday fun?

If it was good for you. But I know I'm not alone when I say I have zero hope for this team right now if this guy remains. Zero.

That's not fun. And I'd be absolutely fine with some horrible seasons short term to get back to the promised land

And that's assuming that we'd be awful without Dak. I don't believe for a second it would be near as bad as you say.

exciter

Reaction score
As I see it......the No.1 problem is the way Stephen structures his QBs' contracts........like a line of credit. He borrows and pushes balances down the road. Well, it's overloaded when time to pay the piper when you can no longer afford it
All QBs getting 2nd contracts are going to get prorated contracts. It’s simply the only way to mitigate the yearly cap hit. Luckily Jerry has mostly contained it to Dak and a few select others unlike Howie who has given prorated contracts to every single player he’s given a 2nd or 3rd etc contract to!

Kingofholland

Reaction score
In other words, there is no clean way out of this for many fans.......take your pick. Good luck! (lol) This is messy.......

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...ive-dak-prescott-a-record-breaking-extension/

Agent's Take: Can Cowboys afford not to give Dak Prescott a record-breaking extension?​

The Cowboys are in a financial pickle when it comes to their franchise QB​

By Joel Corry

54 mins ago•8 min read

The Dallas Cowboys' season came to a shocking end in the wild-card playoff round with a 48-32 home loss to the Green Bay Packers. A No. 7 seed hadn't won a postseason game since the NFL expanded the playoffs to 14 teams in the 2020 season.

Cowboys quarterback Dak Prescott took his share of the blame for the historic upset loss. "I sucked tonight, that was it," said Prescott postgame.

Prescott completed 41 of 60 passes (68.3%) for 403 yards with three touchdowns and two interceptions, including one for a pick six. The stat line is misleading because Prescott did most of his damage in garbage time. Green Bay's first-year starting quarterback Jordan Love thoroughly outplayed Prescott. After trailing the Packers 48-16 in the fourth quarter, Prescott connected on 17 of 21 passes (81%) for 210 yards with two touchdowns.

Its pretty obvious Dak will likely get extended. But at some point there will be cap to eat. Technically they could keep his current deal in place for next year restructure and move 20 million into future years. Only problem with that is his cap hit for not being under contract would be 46 million in 2025 and 21 million in 2026.

EenonyMoose

Reaction score
Extend or not, there's a lump at the end of this contract that you either take now or five years from now, so you should make the decision based on whether you want Dak as your quarterback for 4-5 more years.

dckid

Reaction score
Oh, ok. We have a new franchise QB the next year?
Dak is a sham of a franchise QB. What is the point of failing in the first round of the playoffs every year?
He has the worst qb playoff record for the number of games played. 2-5, Romo was 2-4.
There is no harm in zagging while the league continues to overpay mediocre players.

MarkP88

Reaction score
Packers just moved on from Aaron Rodgers and beat Dallas at home lol.

Stop acting like replacing Dak is some difficult thing to do. That’s a myth.

And I’m all for bringing Dak back but you better have Belichick walking through that door if you do.

If not let’s team build and dump that atrocious salary.
Exactly. It starts with not operating out of fear of making a mistake. And taking a cold, hard look at what our players' strengths and weaknesses are. Acting like the choice is between signing Dak to a contract that will pay him higher than guys like Mahomes or the modern equivalent of Quincy Carter is ridiculous. And on top of that you have the unseen ramifications of rewarding Dak as if he had won the Super Bowl - what do his teammates take from this? Abject failure at the most critical times gets you another mega contract, i.e., failure is okay, so long as you did pretty good up till that point.

Everyone here - and I mean everyone, even those folks who love, love, love Dak the most vociferously - knows in their gut that he's never going to take the team deep into the playoffs, let alone win it all. But admitting that means admitting that the entire structure of the organization and how it does business and the person running it all is hopelessly broken, and will remain so forever.

TheSport78

The Excellence of Execution
Reaction score
McCarthy should be fired alone on the fact that his focus was fixing the running game. It got WORSE. It didn't help that the FO put faith in Pollard coming off of injury and not having anything proven behind him. I'm not a Dak guy at ALL but there was zero confidence in the running game this year. Because of that, teams did not respect the play action game at all. McCarthy threw oil on the fire by running SO MUCH on first down, when he should've been PA passing to allow the running game to be more efficient.