Agents Take: Cowboys options for Dak

SSoup

Reaction score
As it should. As should every fan in the NFL, the QB salary right now is insane and breaking teams.
They're all free to let their QBs leave via free agency and start over with a new cheap draft pick or a lower-budget free agent who's probably seen more as a backup than a starter. Starting caliber QBs only make that much because that's what the market bears. The market determines their value.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
He’s gonna get a deal close to 30 million per year and devastate our cap in the process.

Dak is under contract for <1 mil next year. The team has the rights to that year. Dak should not get a contract as if that obligation does not exist.

Should be a 1 year extension for franchise money plus a little, spread out over the next 2 years. so that Dak can lock in a big chunk of change next year.

Win-win. Dak locks in his first big chunk of change. Cowboys avoid a hold out.

Could be longer if they're really sold on Dak, but I'd consider that a mistake. I'm not sold on him yet. Teams have been daring us to beat them with Dak's arm for a year and a half, and we haven't taken them up on that.

Romo's first big contract was a short term prove it contract. We should do the same with Dak.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
They're all free to let their QBs leave via free agency and start over with a new cheap draft pick or a lower-budget free agent who's probably seen more as a backup than a starter. Starting caliber QBs only make that much because that's what the market bears. The market determines their value.

Market determines market price, not value.

conner01

Reaction score
How much do you think he will agree too?
Around 24 in real money
I also think there will be an out built in by year 3
Almost all these QB contracts have had outs and it’s a smart move to protect yourself
He will get a nice big chunk of cash and I think he knows and seen how talent around him helps

erod

Reaction score
Dak has the same agent as Aaron Donald and Joey Bosa. Let that sink in. If he does not get paid he will holdout. Dak is going to make north of 30 million a year. He is not taking a home town discount. Cowboys Zone is going to explode.
I would love a holdout. Team would probably barely skip a beat.

khiladi

Reaction score
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...th-dak-prescott-as-his-rookie-deal-nears-end/

Very detailed and interesting take on where Dak fits among NFL QB's

Also talks about how Jerry's blabbermouth tendencies hurts him and the team in regards to contract negotiations

What is Jerry supposed to say with no QB lined up? He doesn’t want him? Dak still has a year to play out and with the change in OC, it’s probably clear Jerry isn’t going to extend Dak without the new OC working with him for a year. Jerry in the same interview praised Linehan.

Jerry hasn’t hurt himself in any way and Dak isn’t in any real position to demand anything.

khiladi

Reaction score
I would love a holdout. Team would probably barely skip a beat.

Dallas should draft a QB and then we’ll see how quickly Dak will want to sign, considering all hhs endorsements are because of him being QB of the Dallas Cowboys.

A guy like Mahomes in a Cowboys uniform that has a ridiculous arm would be on every commercial, everyday 24-7...

madcow74

Reaction score
This ridiculous nfl with all its gobs of money and its limited talent pool putting their lives on the line just to eek out an average 3 year career. Their few superstars have to holdout to get a contract comparable to a hack mlb player or a pampered nba player who barely plays 1/3rd of their season.

There is no reason a starting qb in the nfl (which almost no one can do) shouldnt command the same money that the tool bryce harper is expecting to stand around in the outfield ...then sit down...swing the bat every once in awhile...

i dont get it

Diehardblues

Reaction score
You believe whatever the Cowboys offer he will accept it lol? They offer him the vet. minimum he's gonna take it? They offer him 10 million for 1 year he's gonna take it?
But I don’t think they’re going to offer the minimum. You’re taking my thought literally not realistically.