Video: Aikman on why he left the Cowboys - never hear this before

jblaze2004

Reaction score
All you old heads let nostalgia glasses taint your memories. Dude had one of the greatest teams ever assembled HOFers and all pros everywhere, but sure let’s act like he carried a subpar team to 3 championships. Whooo aikman
Exactly not just great or good players. HOFer's and all pros. And probably one of the best offensive lines ever created. And one of the best RB's and WR's in the NFL those years. Troy had it good on offense lol.

Troy Aikman stats during their 1995 Superbowl season (Dallas was 12-4).
3,304 yards, 7.6 yards per attempt, 432 attempts, 280 completions, 64.8 completions %, 16 TD, 7 ints.

I will say though defense was a lot meaner and allowed to be way more physical with the offensive player then they are today.

cityochamps

What Just Happened Here
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
  • WHY AIKMAN LEFT THE COWBOYS
  • erod
  • Sunday at 11:09 AM

• source.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

BoysForLife

Reaction score
I might watch the whole thing. But Joe Buck’s lipstick is really annoying me. Like seriously, who did his makeup that day, Britney Spears?

I’ll listen to it but put the phone down so I don’t have to see and be distracted by Joe’s makeup.
I'm not convinced Buck doesn't bite the occasional pillow in his spare time.

BoysForLife

Reaction score
You can clearly tell who was actually alive and old enough to comprehend from those that were not born yet or were still toddlers.

If you saw Aikman's first couple years you would never question his toughness. He was the epitome of the "take the hit to make the play" QB. There was no rule that allowed him to throw the ball away. Rushers could still unload on him after he threw the ball. He played against those great defenses in NY and Philly and got pummeled. Watch the 11 sack game against Philly. It's on Youtube.

Aikman laid it all down for the team and the fans. He owes the team or you nothing.
Nailed it.

kskboys

Reaction score
Recalling articles I read about his contracts in the salary cap era and how the dead money of his contracts hamstrung the team for years. I believe he signed the richest contract ever at that time.

Aikman did not give the Cowboys any loyalty discounts.
Didn't know that, but if that's true then it's yet another example of how paying your QB huge money leads to mediocrity. The Deion contract didn't help.

kskboys

Reaction score
Even more amazing is the video is almost 10 years old and Troy is even more accurate now than he was then… and the way the NFL was when he played … not many QBs in today’s era would survive a season .., maybe Allen.

People acting like a QB gets lucky and wins 3 SB in 4 years … yeah go Dak.
Brady wouldn't have lasted 5 seasons w/ those big jalopy slow feet of his.

links18

Reaction score
Recalling articles I read about his contracts in the salary cap era and how the dead money of his contracts hamstrung the team for years. I believe he signed the richest contract ever at that time.

Aikman did not give the Cowboys any loyalty discounts.
Pretty sure he restrucred so they could sign Deion. Not sure that meant he got less money in the end, but how often does a professional athlete do that?

Darkhound

Reaction score

Wow!! Well I guess this just confirms alot of things and I hope it is a wakeup call for most of you here.
He saw the circus the franchise was becoming and he did not want to be a part of it.

I insist, as loon as jerry jones owns and runs this team, this will be the standard

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Pretty sure he restrucred so they could sign Deion. Not sure that meant he got less money in the end, but how often does a professional athlete do that?
Players restructure all the time. They almost always get more money upfront with the bonus hit spread out over the remaining years. Which just kicks the van down the road and causes more pain later.

1942willys

Reaction score
Players restructure all the time. They almost always get more money upfront with the bonus hit spread out over the remaining years. Which just kicks the van down the road and causes more pain later.
WE get it you think we should not have drafter AIkman; get over it dude
By the way those of us that were around when it happened know what happened; no ARTICLES are going to tell you what really happened
No videos either

1942willys

Reaction score
Troy took tremendous punishment his first two years; and he saw that starting again and wanted no part of it
He had no faith in Jerry the GM to fix things and he was absolutely correct on that.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
To be fair Jimmy left/was pushed out before he had to deal with the real effects of the new salary cap era...not sure how that would have played out. The. Cowboys were at a crossroads with so many pro bowl talented players coming due with new FA contacts.
Come on, man. The Cowboys would have won 4 SBs in a row had Jimmy stayed. The fact that they recovered from the turmoil that no other team has ever had to deal with - losing your loved head coach while on a back to back SB win streak - and then won another SB is strong evidence for that. Without all the drama, turmoil, and distractions of the Jerry-Jimmy split, the Cowboys dominate 1994 FA or not.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
All you old heads let nostalgia glasses taint your memories. Dude had one of the greatest teams ever assembled HOFers and all pros everywhere, but sure let’s act like he carried a subpar team to 3 championships. Whooo aikman
The "great team around him" dismissal is ONLY ever held against Cowboys players, and never against 49ers players for example. It's also typically only used by people who hate the Cowboys and have an agenda to downplay their success and place in history.

DallasInDC

Reaction score
Come on, man. The Cowboys would have won 4 SBs in a row had Jimmy stayed. The fact that they recovered from the turmoil that no other team has ever had to deal with - losing your loved head coach while on a back to back SB win streak - and then won another SB is strong evidence for that. Without all the drama, turmoil, and distractions of the Jerry-Jimmy split, the Cowboys dominate 1994 FA or not.
Wasn't referring to the immediate...aftermath...if Jimmy stayed we would have had 4-5 SBs back to back...I was talking about after the 96 season...when the reality of the salary cap was just beginning and all of the creative maneuvering hadn't been figured out yet.

DallasInDC

Reaction score
The "great team around him" dismissal is ONLY ever held against Cowboys players, and never against 49ers players for example. It's also typically only used by people who hate the Cowboys and have an agenda to downplay their success and place in history.
A lot of similarities between Montana and Aikman in regards to talent around them and coaching.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I wonder if that's why he seem to be against the Cowboys whenever he calls a game. I hate listening to Troy when he calls the Cowboys games.
Sometimes I have to agree with that. I don’t think he’s biased. Or a non-biased. I think he just tries to call it the way it is.

stuckindc

Reaction score
Something that doesn’t get mentioned enough in regard to FA taking many good players was Jimmy’s ability to draft talented players. He could have filled many FA losses with his drafting ability. Pretty sure we don’t draft Shante Carvers and others like him

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
Something that doesn’t get mentioned enough in regard to FA taking many good players was Jimmy’s ability to draft talented players. He could have filled many FA losses with his drafting ability. Pretty sure we don’t draft Shante Carvers and others like him
It was awful drafting that led to the Cowboys downfall. I still can't get over Jerry not drafting Randy Moss. And then giving up all those picks for Joey Galloway. Does anyone really think that happens if Jimmy was still here?

Mcsports

Reaction score
Bunch of disrespectful children in this thread ........ we would be beyond lucky to have a young Troy Aikman to build this team around.
I don’t think those disrespectful children are serious. They putting on their Stephen. A smith hats and trying to rile folks up.
It’s just a bit.
Lame bit.