Aikman talks about his thoughts on future w/Cowboys

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Stevie runs things. Stevie is a tightwad. Its about the $. Jerry sits in the background.

Stevie just doesn't know how to manage a cap AND roster talent. Thats why we are always cap poor. How many restructures did we have to do this off season to get under the cap? So, its not like we have tons of cap space available to us. Not sure how you figure we aren't spending enough money when we are restructuring contracts every off season to get under the cap.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Troy Aikman has watched the Cowboys’ endeavors from the broadcast booth a close eye on the organization. As a member of the FOX broadcast team, he’s commented on Dallas’ decisions during games while popping up now and then to criticize his former team.

“I thought my skills would be better used in the front office, but then my personal circumstances changed,” Aikman said. “And as I was talking about earlier with my girls, I became a single father when they were quite young and I was raising them and I just felt that it would be extremely selfish on my part to pursue a career as an executive knowing the amount of time that was required.”

Now 55 years old, Aikman noted the league’s trend of hiring younger guys for GM positions. He hasn’t completely closed the door on being of help to an NFL front office, though.

“I think the GM road has probably passed but what I wouldn’t rule out is at some point in time, whether that’s with Dallas, now they’ve not reached out to me, or if it’s with some other club,” Aikman said. “I could see having some kind of role to where I do think that I have something to offer that I think could really help a club if utilized and used the right way and if it was, it might be something down the road I would consider.”

Full story and interview below.

https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/20...zVqZ8EwE-ZxVqoy86EjNXxhsA2O9d3_SB_wbWbXYiw4lU
Troy could definitely have a role in an organization, but he makes insane money at his broadcast gig. 18M per year
He'd have to take a pay cut and work a lot more hours.
No reason it would be worth it.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Jerry is handing this dumpster fire to Stephen. Aikman or anyone else is a pipe dream. Stephen will be worse than Jerry. That’s a fact. Tough times for Dallas. I think they could get lucky for a year or 2 but sustained excellence will be impossible with the Jones family. IMPOSSIBLE.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Stephen Jones could be around the game every day for the next 1,000 years, I’d still trust Troy’s judgment over his.

We have a top 10 QB already. Time to stop pretending that position is the issue. Matthew Stafford just won a Super Bowl because he was on a great team.
watch the niners playoff game and then come and convince me QB wasnt the problem.
His lone interception was to an open wr, he threw the ball on the wrong side of his body right into the defenses hands. Game over.

We got the ballback 2 times in the final 6 minutes and did jack squat... QB buddy.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Troy could definitely have a role in an organization, but he makes insane money at his broadcast gig. 18M per year
He'd have to take a pay cut and work a lot more hours.
No reason it would be worth it.
Money doesn’t appear to be a priority for him. He knows it would be a pay cut. And only working one night a week who says he’d have to give that up pending the role had.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Aikman is a fool. What kind of contribution does he think he could make that would make a difference? Booger is the King and the King does what he wants.

He should know better than to think he could make any difference. Hell, McClay does all he can and still gets ignored when Booger wants to do something.

All anyone has to do is take another look at that war room when it was evident that not only did his son want to take the trade but that most of those in attendance did and it went silent and Booger said no, take McGovern, and that was that.
All of that doesn’t mean he couldnt make a contribution. Now whether it made a difference is totally arguable.

In the end it’s like Parcells said, you have to convince Jethro to go against his instincts. I’d say this era there has been a few instances where that’s happened. Was it enough, no.

Whether we believe Troy could help or not I think it’s commendable he’s offering his services . I’m not sure why you’re so against his gesture?

Last edited:

Nav22

Reaction score
watch the niners playoff game and then come and convince me QB wasnt the problem.
His lone interception was to an open wr, he threw the ball on the wrong side of his body right into the defenses hands. Game over.

We got the ballback 2 times in the final 6 minutes and did jack squat... QB buddy.
That’s cute. If only we had the guy who went 0-3 in the playoffs in 12 years as a Detroit Lion, right?

How many QBs overcome 14 penalties and 0 run game in the playoffs, against a great defense like SF? Get a clue. Dak’s the main reason we had a shot that day.

Top 10 QB, like it or not.
:laugh:

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
All of that doesn’t mean he couldnt make a contribution. Now whether it made a difference is totally arguable.

In the end it’s like Parcells said, you have to convince Jethro to go against his instincts. I’d say this era there has been a few instances where that’s happened. Was it enough, no.

Whether we believe Troy could help or not I think it’s commendable he’s offering his services . I’m not sure why you’re so against his gesture?
Aikman has already commited the unpardonable sin by even insinuating management of the team was the problem.

My experience with people that cannot admit to making a mistake is they like others doing that even less.

Emmitt would stand a better chance of getting a FO job than Troy. But then, he doesn't call them like he sees them as Troy does and he does like to hang out in Booger's suite.

What I don't get is why is Aikman even talking about this? He must feel really comfortable about his situation to even be discussing that after taking a new gig that makes him the highest paid broadcaster at ESPN.

Big_D

Reaction score
Don’t hold your breath Troy! You’re better off in the booth anyway!

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
and much more free time! I would’ve loved to have him as a GM over the current garbage, but that ship sailed unfortunately!
He has the best job in football. He doesn't even have to do the heavy lifting in the booth, that's the play-by-play guy's job.

Big_D

Reaction score
He has the best job in football. He doesn't even have to do the heavy lifting in the booth, that's the play-by-play guy's job.

He’s got it made! That’s why any talk of him ever joining the front office is nothing more than a pipe dream at this point.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Aikman has already commited the unpardonable sin by even insinuating management of the team was the problem.

My experience with people that cannot admit to making a mistake is they like others doing that even less.

Emmitt would stand a better chance of getting a FO job than Troy. But then, he doesn't call them like he sees them as Troy does and he does like to hang out in Booger's suite.

What I don't get is why is Aikman even talking about this? He must feel really comfortable about his situation to even be discussing that after taking a new gig that makes him the highest paid broadcaster at ESPN.
You appear to still be missing the point.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
He’s got it made! That’s why any talk of him ever joining the front office is nothing more than a pipe dream at this point.
The fact he’d even consider lending a hand to the Cowboys in any capacity after all that’s been said between him and Jethro is very commendable on Troys part.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Which makes it even more admirable and noble on Troys part to even make himself available in some capacity. He could probably even keep his gig at ESPN which doesn’t even seem to be a concern of Troys.

Troy is a competitor . He obviously misses that aspect. Salute to him for even making himself available to this dysfunctional organization . He’s a big of man as his hands are. Ha!

Dallasfann

Reaction score
Aikman needs to stay as far away from this organization as possible. Don't soil his HOF career as a player and broadcaster with the dysfunction that is the Dallas Cowboys.

I'm going to out on a limb and say you have no idea what team he played on to make it to the HOF. Hint...It's the teams board you are currently trolling.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I agree but the fact Troy would even consider such is the story,

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Which makes it even more admirable and noble on Troys part to even make himself available in some capacity. He could probably even keep his gig at ESPN which doesn’t even seem to be a concern of Troys.

Troy is a competitor . He obviously misses that aspect. Salute to him for even making himself available to this dysfunctional organization . He’s a big of man as his hands are. Ha!
Keep his job at ESPN? Are you high? He cannot be affiliated with any team in any capacity.

I do not know what point I am missing. He makes no difference in this team as long as the set up is the same and he has insinuated the blame lies with management, he will not be asked to join the Cowboys,