Aikman talks about his thoughts on future w/Cowboys

Flamma

Reaction score
Right . But Troy isn’t looking for total control. He appears to only want to provide some advice or consultation . I’m not sure where the harm in that could be?

Not an issue with me. I'd welcome him at almost any position. But this isn't something I'm familiar with. What job is it, and who is he replacing? Get that bum out of there!

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Not an issue with me. I'd welcome him at almost any position. But this isn't something I'm familiar with. What job is it, and who is he replacing? Get that bum out of there!
We know that’s not going to happen. I dont think he is proposing to replace anyone . He’d just like to be more of a consultant wanting to contribute in any fashion.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hey, wasn't the Official Eyeglass Cleaner to the GM Charlotte's husband that she's divorcing? Troy can do that but he will have to be careful with those big mitts of his. When he wore a dark suit or sport jacket on Fox, his hands looked like Mickey Mouse hands.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Would any Cowboys fan object to Jerry hiring Aikman to join the front office?
:starspin:
hell no they wouldnt object... BUT, this would be like Joe Gibbs. Returning to a salary cap league and thinking you somehow are special? bahahhaha, not unless Troy can go back in time and play QB would he help make this team better.

Nav22

Reaction score
hell no they wouldnt object... BUT, this would be like Joe Gibbs. Returning to a salary cap league and thinking you somehow are special? bahahhaha, not unless Troy can go back in time and play QB would he help make this team better.
Disagree. Troy’s been around the game consistently, calling games for FOX, meeting with players/coaches during weekly production meetings, doing radio shows etc. He’s not clueless to the way the league has changed since his playing days.

Joe Gibbs wasn’t around the game for awhile before he came back, he had become more of a NASCAR guy. He was also much older than Troy is now.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Troy has openly spoke about his interest working in a front office before. And as he said he feels the GM position at his age has probably passed him by .

And yes, we realize all of the reasons and agendas why our dysfunctional ownership probably wouldn’t be interested .

But IMO the bigger story here is that Troy is offering his services in whatever front office capacity as he feels he could make a contribution. I’m not sure how any Cowboy fan wouldn’t salute such intentions.
how about because it doesnt make sense?
Is he going to walk out on the big contract he just signed to be part of a front office?
he would be cutting his income by 15 mil or more just to be part of a FO?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Does anyone find it odd that he just signed the biggest deal in the NFL broadcast arena and he's even addressing this? If I am ESPN, I want him all in for that kind of money.

He sure as hell isn't getting 18M a year to GM any NFL team and for sure as a token guy with the Cowboys.

Why would he even address this now?

links18

Reaction score
Does anyone find it odd that he just signed the biggest deal in the NFL broadcast arena and he's even addressing this? If I am ESPN, I want him all in for that kind of money.

He sure as hell isn't getting 18M a year to GM any NFL team and for sure as a token guy with the Cowboys.

Why would he even address this now?

Because he was asked?

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Disagree. Troy’s been around the game consistently, calling games for FOX, meeting with players/coaches during weekly production meetings, doing radio shows etc. He’s not clueless to the way the league has changed since his playing days.

Joe Gibbs wasn’t around the game for awhile before he came back, he had become more of a NASCAR guy. He was also much older than Troy is now.
I think you are missing my point. You dont think others in the Cowboys front office arent around the game everyday? Troy played, but that certainly wouldnt make him some great expert on drafting. I guess my point is simply unless he can get us a QB, who cares.

Nav22

Reaction score
I think you are missing my point. You dont think others in the Cowboys front office arent around the game everyday? Troy played, but that certainly wouldnt make him some great expert on drafting. I guess my point is simply unless he can get us a QB, who cares.
Stephen Jones could be around the game every day for the next 1,000 years, I’d still trust Troy’s judgment over his.

We have a top 10 QB already. Time to stop pretending that position is the issue. Matthew Stafford just won a Super Bowl because he was on a great team.

Diehardblues

Reaction score

Just amazing we have some Cowboy fans bashing Troy for the thought of wanting to offer his services. It really makes me think much less of this site.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Don't forget this guy who was a TE, and had a decent career as GM with the Ravens.
Lynch with 49ers, Elway also come to mind. I’m sure there’s many more. Several become head coaches who serve both roles.

According to a report I saw over 60% of GM’s are former scouts. The rest are former players or accounting background.

But the bigger point here is Aikman isn’t asking to be GM but merely make a contribution in front office .

Last edited:

Xeven

Reaction score
If he stepped aside and Troy got us to even a Championship game it would invalidate 26 years of Jerry’s ineptness including the waste of a franchise QB’s career.

It’ll never happen.
It will happen after Jerry passes away. Even more humiliating.